Ikea Detolf Display Case

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chigger58

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hello,

Just wondering if any of you could give me any insight into the Ikea Detolf display cases?

Mostly I'm looking for info such as the quality, easy assembly, worth, etc. I live in Idaho and don't have any Ikea's close by but they seem to have the only type of display case I want to buy for my collectibles.

I'm also wondering if any of you have run into this same predicament and what you did to get some? They aren't currently shipping the Detolf from their website and the closest Ikea's are WA, OR and CA for me. I'm going to take a shot at calling one of those stores and see if they will process my credit card over the phone and ship them to me from the store. Anyone else ever done this?

Lastly, I see a lot of people on here have the "beech" colored versions and I'm wondering if anyone has the "black" versions....maybe a pic so I could see what they look like?

Thanks all, really love this site and can't wait to read more great posts!

i got 2 at the moment and will probably get more. for the money i'd say they are very good. i have to drive about 150 miles to get them though. i wish there were more IKEAs around. as for assembly, they recommend 2 people but i can do them by myself. it's just a matter of installing the 3 glass sides and glass door to the top and bottom pieces. they provide the wrench for you, so you don't need any tools.

i got 2 at the moment and will probably get more. for the money i'd say they are very good. i have to drive about 150 miles to get them though. i wish there were more IKEAs around. as for assembly, they recommend 2 people but i can do them by myself. it's just a matter of installing the 3 glass sides and glass door to the top and bottom pieces. they provide the wrench for you, so you don't need any tools.

EXCELLENT! Thank you for the insight.

Do you have the beech ones?

Are the shelves adjustable by chance?

Ikea Detolf is great value for the money. The shelves are not adjustable. I have the beech one but if I want another one, I will go for the black one.

I have the black ones and there great to display my 1/6 stuff, not sure what there like for bigger things.

I have 5 of them and they are the best display option value you can find. They are quality, too.

i got the beech cuz i like my furniture to look like wood. i'm scared black will show dust and lint no matter how much you keep them clean. but everyone has their own taste.

were are you from chig?? if you happen to be in canada, locate a JYSK store cause they have a nicer display similiar to the detolf for the same price and the shelves can be easily be adjusted.

i wish they made the same cabinet but double the width. would be great to get more groups of figures together. 4 on a shelf gets pretty crowded.

Yeah, I find that three figures on a shelf really allows for you to see them all pretty well. With four they start to get obscured... I don't think I've done more then five though, and that starts to look cluttered...

were are you from chig?? if you happen to be in canada, locate a JYSK store cause they have a nicer display similiar to the detolf for the same price and the shelves can be easily be adjusted.

What's it called again?
They don't have them listed online anymore.

Has anyone moved their shelves? Did you take them completely apart or just remove the inside shelves?

Has anyone moved their shelves? Did you take them completely apart or just remove the inside shelves?

i don't think i've ever seen anyone remove or move the shelves for the detolfs, since that would require cutting and welding, were as the Jysk models only require a slight bit of drilling and tapping new threads.

WOW, great feedback "freaks", thanks!

Well I know what I want, just got bad news though and I need more help if you can.

So I just got off the phone with Ikea in Sacramento, CA and they won't do a phone order and ship them to me. They said they would let my family member (of course) come there and buy them for me and then said family member could ship them to me. I was hoping I didn't have to put someone to the trouble you know? BUT I HAVE TO HAVE THESE CASES! Haha.

So, a new question for you would be, what do they come packaged like? The lady I spoke with said it was standard fair of being in a box but she brought up a good point that the reason they don't ship them is because they are mostly glass. Do you "freaks" think that if my family member bought them and shipped them to me in ID (not in Canada btw, Idaho) that they wouldn't require any additional packaging?

If so, is there a service you know of or would recommend for handling something this big? They are 5ft 4inches long when wrapped up in a box. I'm not sure I want to make a family member go to the trouble with doing this for me and then have to wait at the post office so maybe UPS or FedX?

What do you think?

Thanks again for all the help!

I say abandon ship. As great as they are, half the lure is because ikeas are supposed to be readily accessible and these shelves are inexpensive. For the time and costs associated with shipping, I would start looking locally for nicer curios...

I say abandon ship. As great as they are, half the lure is because ikeas are supposed to be readily accessible and these shelves are inexpensive. For the time and costs associated with shipping, I would start looking locally for nicer curios...

Yeah man, depressing as it is I think you are right. Man that bums me out, for all of you that have them I am TRULY envious.

You would think in a state known for it's trees (Idaho) I would have an easier time finding something similar to these, haha. No such luck, man I'm bummed.

Hey thanks to all for the input, it's truly appreciated and I hope for anyone else that's looking for something like this that the hunt goes easier than mine has.

Back