I received my First Negative Feedback in 9 years! Beware of Ebay Buyer mattmanelite!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand the feelings of the OP but i don't really like the idea to out a bad buyer giving his username on a well known forum in this kind of situation.
The guy did not rip you off, you got paid, he said he received a damaged item and instead of taking your offer to solve things he gave no answer and a bad feedback.
He's an idiot right but don't deserve to be crucified on this forum.

BTW you know you can put a response to a feedback, so just add one saying "offered refund but buyer didn't answer go figure". If your feedback is that good its not one that will hurt you.

I'm just warning other people of this buyer. Did you read my original post at all? He wasn't innocent. He wanted to deal off eBay and get a cheaper price.I think part of the reason I received the negative is the fact that I did not want to do that. I did everything I could as a seller.Yes I did get paid and I will also lose that money once he ships the broken Ed-209 back to me. I shipped the item the next day ( packed very securely) When he responded about the item being broken I replied immediately to him that he would get a full refund. He never responded back ( he still hasn't) He just gave me a negative for no fault of my own. If you think that's ok please don't put him on block and hopefully you will get a chance to deal with this guy.:pray:

P.s. It's ironic but if you look at this guys feedback someone gave him a negative for receiving a broken item from him (he offered them a refund too) He was in the same situation as me. Instead of being understanding he figured it was ok to neg me.

Btw I know about putting the response ( I did it)on feedback but it doesn't show up on my iPhone eBay app when looking at someones feedback ( It only shows up when I use my desktop computer for ebay)Also if I am selling an item that another seller is selling for the same price guess who the buyer is going to buy it from.... The guy with 100% feedback or the one with 99%?

Last edited:
What I meant earlier is that it doesn't matter if you're a seller or buyer, as everyone seems to think buyers are in a better position on ebay, if you deal with someone dishonest you lose.

It's very very rare for a buyer to lose anything. Your covered all over the place with ebay and paypal. As a seller 99% of the time they will rule against you.

You can sell someone something and it's truly in perfect condition and well packed. The buyer can be dishonest and say it arrived broken and that they should receive a partial refund or a full refund and return it. The buyer can have swapped parts with their broken item for the new one you sent. Seller loses the money he had to pay to send it to the seller and he might receive something he didn't send to the buyer..

Happens a lot.

As a buyer you can buy something that is described as a camera and the seller is dishonest and sends you a broken camera or say a rock.. doesn't matter that it's the fault of the seller that the buyer is forced to send it back. The buyer must pay return costs. This is why I slap my face at the ebay policy. Not only that but you will have to send it back with signature and tracking number, that will cost you much more. Since the seller can say he didn't receive the return..

Mail order has and always will be a risk. That is what high street shops are for. People have gone consumer crazy. How do you think sellers feel sending items signed for with tracking at greater costs on every item they sell...? And no, you can't put it in the post & packing charges because buyers never leave 5 stars which in turns stops you getting the 10% top seller discounts, which in turn means your items are always more expensive for the buyer...!!! As far as ebay's policies for buyers being a slap in the face, look at it from a sellers point of view. Ebay's policies for a seller are like an axe in the b0ll0...........................

The best thing to do when sending expensive items like the ED209 is to insure it and the buyer needs to pay for it. An agreement should be made beforehand, this is what I do now when I buy on ebay. But the seller can still pull the ebay policy card even if we agreed to something else...

Honestly.................... Once your auction has ended, you then say i need another 'x' amount for insurance...? That's a neutral or a negative right there. If you extra insurance amount right from the start of the auction then the overall price is affected and buyers tend not to bid.

Considering that sellers are the only ones that pay anything to ebay, i think that buyers should just accept that they will have to pay return postage on returned items. Mail order will always have some risk.

That wasn't necessary. But ok, I just believe that if you don't receive what you paid for the one selling should take responsibility and take care of their customers. Of course if you're a private seller you might view things differently.

What I meant earlier is that it doesn't matter if you're a seller or buyer, as everyone seems to think buyers are in a better position on ebay, if you deal with someone dishonest you lose.

You can sell someone something and it's truly in perfect condition and well packed. The buyer can be dishonest and say it arrived broken and that they should receive a partial refund or a full refund and return it. The buyer can have swapped parts with their broken item for the new one you sent. Seller loses the money he had to pay to send it to the seller and he might receive something he didn't send to the buyer..

As a buyer you can buy something that is described as a camera and the seller is dishonest and sends you a broken camera or say a rock.. doesn't matter that it's the fault of the seller that the buyer is forced to send it back. The buyer must pay return costs. This is why I slap my face at the ebay policy. Not only that but you will have to send it back with signature and tracking number, that will cost you much more. Since the seller can say he didn't receive the return..

Another issue can be that you didn't receive something that was physically broken but something that is defective and couldn't possibly have broken during shipping. I once bought a battery for my camera and when I tried it it said it didn't work with my model on the view screen, when the seller described that it would work with my model. I had to pay return costs.

The best thing to do when sending expensive items like the ED209 is to insure it and the buyer needs to pay for it. An agreement should be made beforehand, this is what I do now when I buy on ebay. But the seller can still pull the ebay policy card even if we agreed to something else...

I can understand your perspective, but in a world where basically every single card is stacked up against the sellers on ebay, the buyer pays return shipping cost on items he/she is not satisfied with policy makes sense to me. The seller has an interest in making money and satisfying the customer in a transaction. If they have an item returned that was damaged or it didn't work, they end up losing the money for the item and if they agree to pay return shipping they're out that as well. The buyer is made 100% whole, while the seller is not.

Who should the risk be mitigated to? Well, that's up to your own personal opinion on the matter, but the rules of the site are what they are, and if we want to use the site we're bound by them as sellers and buyers alike whether we like it or not.

That's my thought on the matter. I don't want to hijack the original poster's thread about the unreasonable negative feedback he received with this discussion, so I'm done talking about this after this post.

I did nothing wrong and he feels i should get a negative because he did not get it in time for Christmas.I have worked very hard to maintain a 100% record i have over 3000 positive feedback.I of course refunded his money and now have to go through the rigmarole of making a missing parcel claim.

E-Bay does give way to much power to the buyer and very little protection to the seller.

If a buyer even mentions the word 'feedback' to you in a message, then ebay will most likely rule in your favor and won't even let the buyer leave any feedback at all.

It's very very rare for a buyer to lose anything. Your covered all over the place with ebay and paypal. As a seller 99% of the time they will rule against you.

Happens a lot.

Mail order has and always will be a risk. That is what high street shops are for. People have gone consumer crazy. How do you think sellers feel sending items signed for with tracking at greater costs on every item they sell...? And no, you can't put it in the post & packing charges because buyers never leave 5 stars which in turns stops you getting the 10% top seller discounts, which in turn means your items are always more expensive for the buyer...!!! As far as ebay's policies for buyers being a slap in the face, look at it from a sellers point of view. Ebay's policies for a seller are like an axe in the b0ll0...........................

Honestly.................... Once your auction has ended, you then say i need another 'x' amount for insurance...? That's a neutral or a negative right there. If you extra insurance amount right from the start of the auction then the overall price is affected and buyers tend not to bid.

Considering that sellers are the only ones that pay anything to ebay, i think that buyers should just accept that they will have to pay return postage on returned items. Mail order will always have some risk.

I understand. Well to explain again, I simply believe that if I pay someone for a service or item then it's the responsibility of the one offering the service/item to make sure that I get what I paid for. If the box is clearly damaged from shipping then it's the responsibility of the postal service.

In the case of OP is sounds like the buyer was dishonest and so he should pay for return costs. The feedback should be removed since the seller did try to solve the issue with the buyer but got ignored.

I don't think the seller should ask for extra payment for insurance AFTER the bidding. But it should be made clear before if the buyer wants it.

Im kinda in the same position at the moment. I sold something that was pretty much brand new never used just checked over when recieved to make sure there was no damage etc....
It was insured to the full price with a courier & it arrived damaged so the buyer says, The buyer contacted me straight away to inform me that a part was damaged & we established that it was damaged in transit so it was a courier claim simple. The polystyrene inside the box was smashed up & cracked & both inner & outer boxes were creased & squashed.
Anyway for some unknown reason he had thrown the original packaging & outer box away as soon as he received the parcel without even checking the product for damage.
I think the courier will refuse to pay compensation due to the lack of protective packaging that I did send it in, So i would assume the next step would be him trying to get his money back through ebay, & i know for a fact they will take sides with the buyer even though he was at fault for throwing away the packaging that the courier demands to see for damage before they issue compensation. If this happens & i lose out on money & reputation coz of bad feedback i will get legal advice & if needed take ebay & the buyer to court.

If he didn't provide pictures as proof of the packaging being smashed up, then open a claim with ebay.

If he didn't show you proof then this story smell's. Why would you immediately throw the packaging away.

Either way, it is up to him to prove that it arrived damaged with photographic evidence. If he threw away the packaging then you can't claim against the delivery company. Is it fair that you are out of pocket because of him...? I think not.

Open a claim with ebay, and also read their policies on opening a claim, becuase it will also stop him leaving any type of feedback too.

If he didn't provide pictures as proof of the packaging being smashed up, then open a claim with ebay.

If he didn't show you proof then this story smell's. Why would you immediately throw the packaging away.

Either way, it is up to him to prove that it arrived damaged with photographic evidence. If he threw away the packaging then you can't claim against the delivery company. Is it fair that you are out of pocket because of him...? I think not.

Open a claim with ebay, and also read their policies on opening a claim, becuase it will also stop him leaving any type of feedback too.

Very True mate,
I have saved all messages from him & he does admit in the messages that he had thrown away all the packaging & basically he is going to lie to the courier & say that it was delivered in only the manufacturers box. So if eBay still decide to take his side after these fraudulent claims i will get a solicitors letter issued coz im not having that. The part that concerns me about this is, he took days & days to bother to get the parcel taken to the courier for inspection, If you were really that annoyed would you not get it in with them the next day or ASAP, He seems to relaxed about it all & this will result in the courier not paying a cent, I couldn't care less about any possible negative feedback i just hate devious people & decisions being made in favor of them when it is clear top see they are also to blame.

Problem is i cant open a claim with ebay as he has not yet demanded a refund. Plus were still waiting to see if the courier pays compensation that can take up to 14 days. I just have a horrible feeling that they will try to get out of paying & to be honest i would agree with them if there is packaging missing. So its a waiting game for now but im ready to take both ebay & the buyer on with this

I´m passing for the following situation as a buyer... I see an item on open auction starting with US$ 1,00. It seems “strange”, as this item usually start the auctions on the US$ 600,00 level and almost for sure ends with a thousand dollars or more…

Well, don´t ask me why, but the auction ended with me as a winning bid with only US$ 64,00. As I always do, make the payment right away.

Then, everybody I spoke about the case told me that never on a million years the seller would send the item to me. That even with a perfect reputation as a 13 years seller on Ebay, he surely would prefer a negative feedback to lose that amount of money.

The seller didn´t make contact to me. I sent him some emails, asking for the postal code for the shipment and today, after one week of the purchase, he sent me the postal code.

Now is just a question of waiting and check if he really sent the item as described on the auction.

So, my question is: As a seller, would you prefer a negative feedback or would you do the right thing and honor a auction, no matter how you´ll lose on the process?

I always list open auctions at £1 regardless of the value, as you always get more in the end, than if you started with a high amount. Many many more people put it straight in their watch list and actually bid too, and early.

Also the insertion fee is a lot smaller.

I have had the odd auction that never got anywhere near the true value, very few, but i did have some.

I always send the item, ALWAYS, and it's the risk you take when you sell in this way.

Also it is a legally binding contract and you can pursue them through a court.

well me myself as a seller would never screw anyone over, it would have been my choice to list an item at $1.00 starting bid & i know to well it could sell for not much money in the end even it i knew for sure it was worth $600.
So its a risk a seller takes & there is no come back on it, Unless they had no intention of ever sending the item to the winning bidder which is a totally different thing altogether but if that was the case i don't think that seller would care less about negative feedback.

Is this situation you have just described 'Real' or is it hypothetical ?

I'm just warning other people of this buyer. Did you read my original post at all? He wasn't innocent. He wanted to deal off eBay and get a cheaper price.I think part of the reason I received the negative is the fact that I did not want to do that. I did everything I could as a seller.Yes I did get paid and I will also lose that money once he ships the broken Ed-209 back to me. I shipped the item the next day ( packed very securely) When he responded about the item being broken I replied immediately to him that he would get a full refund. He never responded back ( he still hasn't) He just gave me a negative for no fault of my own. If you think that's ok please don't put him on block and hopefully you will get a chance to deal with this guy.:pray:

Why do you feel the need to antagonize me because i don't agree with EVERYTHING you say? Huh? Wishing me to get in trouble even...
I've read your op, and all you say expect the facts is conjecture.
Why should i trust you over this guy? Do i know you? No.
There's always two sides to a story. He's not here to tell his.
I agree that the guy is an idiot, but he has done nothing in my view that deserves him to be lynched in public like that.
Send him a message with a link to these threads if you want to be fair.
Again i'm not saying the guy is clean, all leads to probably not.
But he seems more stupid than anything else.
Also it seems to me that your act is more motivated to burn this idiot, make him pay for that neg than to actually protect your fellow friends from the forum.

PS: i may have missed something, did he shipped back the damaged ED?

Threeads merged, and I left it in the 'Action Figs' side as it refers to a HT piece.
Thanks for the heads up.
x :peace

Why do you feel the need to antagonize me because i don't agree with EVERYTHING you say? Huh? Wishing me to get in trouble even...
I've read your op, and all you say expect the facts is conjecture.
Why should i trust you over this guy? Do i know you? No.
There's always two sides to a story. He's not here to tell his.
I agree that the guy is an idiot, but he has done nothing in my view that deserves him to be lynched in public like that.
Send him a message with a link to these threads if you want to be fair.
Again i'm not saying the guy is clean, all leads to probably not.
But he seems more stupid than anything else.
Also it seems to me that your act is more motivated to burn this idiot, make him pay for that neg than to actually protect your fellow friends from the forum.

I agree with you to a point that its not cool to drop names on forums about ebayers if this is a one off & never happened before then yeah i think the guy needs to be given a break.
But think of it like this, if the guy that Kingofthehill78 speaks of has consistent negative feedback or is known for problems then i think its in the best interest of everyone to know who this person is & To avoid them like the plague. Kingofthehill78 is just giving his opinion on his experience with this guy & believe me i know to well what it is like to deal with idiots on ebay & how annoying it is that these kind of people always end up getting everything there own way.

I definitly understand his anger and and i'm the first to thank him if the guy is actually used to be an *******s on ebay.
Thing is what've read and understood make me believe that the guy is just an idiot.
He tried to buy out of ebay (i've done it, so stone me), then paid thru ebay, received the item, then 2 days later he says its damaged, give bad feedback and don't answers since.
So far since the OP has from what he says a perfect ebay feedback, that he can respond to the bad feedback i don't really see the harm.
Its annoying i get it, but the only one really harmed is that stupid guy who has a damaged item.

Or i misunderstood and the idiot shipped back the item?

Last edited:
I understand the feelings of the OP but i don't really like the idea to out a bad buyer giving his username on a well known forum in this kind of situation.
The guy did not rip you off, you got paid, he said he received a damaged item and instead of taking your offer to solve things he gave no answer and a bad feedback.
He's an idiot right but don't deserve to be crucified on this forum.

BTW you know you can put a response to a feedback, so just add one saying "offered refund but buyer didn't answer go figure". If your feedback is that good its not one that will hurt you.

I disagree. Weather he's an idiot or not, i'd rather know because then i can put him on my 'blocked' list.

As ebay do absolutely nothing to help sellers in situations like this, then forums like this one are ideal. If he wasn't named in this forum, then we wouldn't know we have an idiot bidding on our stuff, as sellers can't leave negative and warn others about potential problems.

Why should he take negative feedback in the first place. He tried to resolve the situation and the buyer didn't want to know. It's not something you should expect bad feedback for.

Like is said its good to know.
But i don't like public namedropping especially if the guy is not around to tell his version of the story. Outing someone like that and seeing the herd mentality in action kinda freaks me out.
So far the guy has done nothing wrong in my book expect being stupid. He has the right to not be happy about that transaction and post a neg feedback.
Might not be fair but these are ebay's rules.
Real scams deserves to have their threads with name dropped.
To me this is a private affair between 2 people.

Recently I had troubles with a member here, left him an honest neg feedback, did not feel the need to out him in a thread.
But hey thats me. Maybe when i get a neg i will be pissed and namedrop everywhere i can.

Btw if the idiot has such bad feedback why did the OP who was suspecting something fishy from the start still accepted to sell and ship him in the end? You can always cancel a transaction. I know i did a few time when something di not feel right about the buyer, especially when the buyer contact you by pm and have some strange requests.

Like is said its good to know.
But i don't like public namedropping especially if the guy is not around to tell his version of the story. Outing someone like that and seeing the herd mentality in action kinda freaks me out.
So far the guy has done nothing wrong in my book expect being stupid. He has the right to not be happy about that transaction and post a neg feedback.
Might not be fair but these are ebay's rules.
Real scams deserves to have their threads with name dropped.
To me this is a private affair between 2 people.

The only reason public name dropping is good in this situation, is because i don't want people like him bidding on my stuff. Ebay won't let you leave negative, so unless his name is publicly dropped, then i would never have known to put him on my blocked 'list'. Sellers don't have any means to warm one another that a bidder on their item is an idiot. Public forums are the only option. There are no alternatives.

Recently I had troubles with a member here, left him an honest neg feedback, did not feel the need to out him in a thread.
But hey thats me. Maybe when i get a neg i will be pissed and namedrop everywhere i can.

You had the ability to leave an honest negative feedback, so there was never a need to 'out' him, people can read that negative comment and see it as a warning if they wish to deal with them. With ebay you can't leave an honest comment about buyers because you can't leave negative feedback and therefore you can only do it on a public forum. You can't leave anything other than good feedback....? How does that work then...???

Btw if the idiot has such bad feedback why did the OP who was suspecting something fishy from the start still accepted to sell and ship him in the end? You can always cancel a transaction. I know i did a few time when something di not feel right about the buyer, especially when the buyer contact you by pm and have some strange requests.

Didn't know they had bad feedback.

Like i say though i'd rather know these things and block them. That solves the issue most of the time for that particular buyer.

well me myself as a seller would never screw anyone over, it would have been my choice to list an item at $1.00 starting bid & i know to well it could sell for not much money in the end even it i knew for sure it was worth $600.
So its a risk a seller takes & there is no come back on it, Unless they had no intention of ever sending the item to the winning bidder which is a totally different thing altogether but if that was the case i don't think that seller would care less about negative feedback.

Is this situation you have just described 'Real' or is it hypothetical ?

Real as death and taxes.

But the seller actually sent the item or, at least, sent me SOMETHING, as he already sent me the custom code for the shipment...

Now I can only wait :pray::pray::pray:

Back