I loathe August 26, 2008. The day I put down my pet.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had Zeus cremated and a nice box carved with his name on it and buried in the front yard under a pine tree he liked to rest under.

sorry Eli.:wave
personally this is why i dont want a pet. i probably couldnt go through with "putting them to sleep". and no you're not silly for feeling that your pet is part of your family. thats what pets are for really. a type of companionship. an old friend of mine cremated her cat that she had for about 15-20 years. i think she made a little area in a spare room where she keeps the ashes and some of its things as well as some photos and stuff. kinda like a cat-shrine.

I'm so sorry to hear about your loses everyone. I have read these posts thoroughly so I can say they mean a ton. It's never easy. Thanks Dusty for that well said piece. It really says a lot what we already know and are thinking, but choose to ignore it, because we want to feel better. Thing is, ignoring the problem doesn't make it better. It just prolongs it for the rest of us, and more importantly, the sufferer.

I'm going to miss Moses so frigging much. I've never lived with a pet that has been around for nearly 20 years of my existence. I'm going back to spend some time with Moses. I love my Mower.

Eli, I totally feel your pain. I had seal point siamese named Picasso who I lost last year. Everyone who ever met him, would fall in love with him, even dog people. He was actually more like a dog and I had him trained to fetch, come when I called and jump on my shoulders with a simple tap.

I miss him so much.:(

That sucks man, sorry to hear. I think I will majorly loose it when that day comes for my two pups, but they're only 6 and 5.5 years old now. I think it's right that you be there; I know I will try to be there. Again, sorry to hear, your words were moving.

I am so sorry to hear about your cat. :monkey2:monkey2 Pets really do become part of one's family and it is incredibly hard to see them age and often times suffer. You are doing the right thing (as difficult as it is) to give him peace and take away the pain. I've been around a couple times when my boss' pets had to put down - and even though they were not mine, it still broke my heart. My thoughts are with you and I know you will take comfort in the fact that you have so many fond and amazing memories of your dear friend.

Sorry for your loss, Eli.

I, also, have been there- and done that.
It never gets easier... although time does temper the wounds.

Thank God.

2.gif

so sorry to hear about your cat Eli, they truly are a part of your family. my wife and i had to go thru this with our hound Thor 3 years ago. and though i loved my dog i never knew until he was gone just how much i did. a special pet is awesome and we should all strive to be the people that our pets think we are :D.

Eli, I totally feel your pain. I had seal point siamese named Picasso who I lost last year. Everyone who ever met him, would fall in love with him, even dog people. He was actually more like a dog and I had him trained to fetch, come when I called and jump on my shoulders with a simple tap.

I miss him so much.:(

Moses was like that. Yes, I speak of Moses now in the past tense because I wished him a long journey home to kitty heaven. I can't continue this post. I need to get out of the house. I am too emotionally distraught right now.

Moses was like that. Yes, I speak of Moses now in the past tense because I wished him a long journey home to kitty heaven. I can't continue this post. I need to get out of the house. I am too emotionally distraught right now.

:monkey2:monkey2:monkey2:monkey2
Man I feel for you so much. I am a huge animal lover. It is about the only thing in life besides my family that I deeply and truely love. My prayers go to you and Moses.

Sorry to hear about your recent loss Eli. Don't care what anybody says...Pets are a source of happiness to enrich lives of those that surround it. They are family and it's so devastating to lose a pet because of what they provided through the years. I've been through it before...and it's a tough process to go through. Every pet has their own personality and it's irreplaceable. Again, I'm very sorry to hear the news of your beloved cat, Moses.

Sorry to hear about your recent loss Eli. Don't care what anybody says...Pets are a source of happiness to enrich lives of those that surround it. They are family and it's so devastating to lose a pet because of what they provided through the years. I've been through it before...and it's a tough process to go through. Every pet has their own personality and it's irreplaceable. Again, I'm very sorry to hear the news of your beloved cat, Moses.

It is very strange. I have lost family and pets. While some people think it different it is almost the same. It really is like losing a family member. I had two of my cats die in a fire. They weren't burnt or anything. They died from the smoke. It was horrible. The fire marshal said they were the furthest from the flames that they could get and died in my room next to one another. :monkey2 Damn I was 16 and cried and couldn't stop.

I had to do this a few years ago with my dog Buster I'd had since I was 14. It was time and was the humane thing to do, but I still can't help feeling to this day like I murdered him. I know that's not the case, but it still feels like that and probably always will. Damn, that was a hard day.

My heart goes out to you.

Sorry to hear this Eli, I feel for you bro believe me! My little buddy Rocky has been with me for about a year and a half now, I wouldn't know what i'd do if I had to let him go. My little cat brings me alot of joy, I named him Rocky because of Stallone's character, he's lived up to it and then some!

Take care friend.

Sorry to hear about this.. Biggest bummer about having a pet is saying goodbye in the end..

My wife and I run a pet care business and I think we had to put 16 down last year.. After years of caring for these guys we consider them to be partially ours.. It always hurts real bad, even when they are not our own.

The process of putting them down is quick, peaceful and painless, if only we could be so humane to dying humans.

Sorry to hear about this.. Biggest bummer about having a pet is saying goodbye in the end..

My wife and I run a pet care business and I think we had to put 16 down last year.. After years of caring for these guys we consider them to be partially ours.. It always hurts real bad, even when they are not our own.

The process of putting them down is quick, peaceful and painless, if only we could be so humane to dying humans.

Thanks Bodie for that. So you do have a heart! Seriously, I really don't envy your job. I would hate to have to deal with that. However, I commend anyone who has to deal with that on a constant basis. I know I wouldn't have the strength to do your job. You have my respect.

Man, I am so emotionally exhausted. I don't think I cried this much when my grandfathers had passed away or my last breakup (serious relationship). This cat was simply THE CAT of cats. To be fair, I didn't have much of a relationship with the one grandfather, and the other went when I was quite young. I couldn't shed a tear right now if I wanted to. My body is in some kind of zone. Too tired to get upset, yet not enough to sleep. I guess this feeling will last many days. I can't say I really disagree about your statement towards dying humans. I don't think anyone should have to suffer.

On the way towards the veterinarian, the mother and I had turned the car around at one point, since Moses was both of our cat. Seven years ago, when I moved out I became the sole carer since her allergies towards the cats worsened with age. We struggled severely with the idea of putting down the cat. My mom won't admit it, but deep down she wanted Moses alive. Okay, that is a given. Nobody wants to see their pets go. I know she had gotten cold feet, and wanted to cancel the appointment since she thought I couldn't handle it. Nah, she couldn't. I still can't believe I went through with it. It was so gut wrenching, and I spent a good hour+ with the vet questioning and giving me reasons not to have the cat put down. At one point he had explained to me that it could be a thyroid condition, and that he could do tests to find out if that was the case. I was pissed, why wasn't this done before? He said at this point that his kidney had a mild affection. I wonder if that could have made a difference when he was first brought in to analyze back in March of 2007, when they gave him only six months to live. Of course, a year and a half later, he was still very much alive and kicking. Regardless, the vet had told me if it was an issue with the thyroid, and some how it was treated, something yada yada yada, could result in kidney problems. I forgot the whole schpiel since I was so distraught. Basically it would be trading one evil for another. It would buy Moses some time, but that may have been merely weeks or months. Also, we don't know how much he would still be suffering. So ultimately I came to the final decision of putting him down.

It was the most painful 5 minutes that followed, where the vet allowed me sometime with the mother and cat. I said my last goodbyes to Moses as he purred and rubbed his face up against mine (which made it even more difficult), then moments later he sat there ever-so-peacefully. So calm and relaxed as though everything was going to be fine. Then the vet came in and sedated him. He became drowsy after a couple of minutes, and laid on the bed. The rest, as you know, is history.... but he was a great cat even until the very end. Now as I type this last part, a second wind of emotion kicks in. My mother didn't want us there, but I forced her to stay. I figured if we were going to make the decision to put him down on August 26th, we better be there to comfort and show him love, and be there until he left us. It was important to me that he wasn't alone in his last moments amongst the living.

I love you Moses, you may have been just an ordinary house cat to some, but to me you were so much more. You were my best friend and companion. You were there for me through the most difficult of times. You knew when I was down and supported me. You knew and recognized emotions. The play fights we would have when you were a kitten to your adolescent years. The way I would run into a corner of a room and wait, and you would jump right out from under that corner, and at times even take me by surprise. How you would get on top of the roof of the house from the ground. How you did he make such an maculate leap of extraordinary athleticism is beyond me. A day wouldn't go by without someone saying, either "WOW! That's a monster of a cat!" or "He's one handsome regal looking cat!" or "That cat is a gentle giant and has quite the personality." and a lot of the times it would be all of the aforementioned.

I've had multiple cats, but never ones that had such an impact on me as Moses had. You'll always be remembered Moses. I love you with all my heart.

- James

Last edited:
Sorry Eli. Sorry Moses. I am glad you were there so at least he knew someone and was comfortable. :monkey2

Feel free to PM me if you need to talk.

Back