I loathe August 26, 2008. The day I put down my pet.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eli26

Super Freak
Reaction score
Today will mark the day my cat Moses of nearly 18 years passes away. Unfortunately, his body can no longer process protein anymore. He's half the weight he once used to be. The veterinarian gave him 6 months to live, but that was a year and a half ago. He's a fighter after all! He could have easily been a show cat and won numerous awards. However, I didn't need an award to tell me that my cat was beautiful and amazing!

His personality was the best thing about him. He was such a people person cat. You know how frightened, agitated, and/or aggressive some cats can get... Not Moses. He was also an explorer. He would always get into the neighbour's gardens and cause the odd mischief. Not always, but regardless, and out of respect to my neighbour's I made him into an indoor-only cat. I'll admit, he wasn't a happy camper at first.

Despite the fact he is a super kind cat, he would get into trouble the odd time. Which I will admit he has toned down as he matured and got older. Also, he was such an acrobatic cat in his prime. The elevation he would clear left many in utter awe. Also, he was quite the athlete! He could actually catch balls from mid-air! He would propel his body into the air, dig his claws into the ball, then bring it down with him.

He was and is an amazing cat, and this has to be the most difficult choice/thing I have ever had to do.

I know my mother wants to take him to the vet for me to put him down... More-so choose his fate since I don't have the strength or courage to. I had agreed upon that idea, but now I feel I HAVE to be there. I have to comfort him until the very end. Let him know it will be alright and that his bro loves him. I know it sounds silly, but I have had him so long he's become more than just another pet to me, but has taken on the role of a sibling. I know how morbid that must sound, especially considering what I am about to do today. I've had cats put down before. This is different. This cat is so full of character and is such an amazing treat to be around when he was at his best. So many of my friends and family members would often comment how Moses is the coolest cat they have ever met. I don't think I'll be lucky enough to have such a kick-ass pet like him again. Fortunately, I was lucky to have him.

I felt like I had to tell my story since this cat has been very close to my heart for many years. He's been in my life for the greater portion. I barely remember life without him in it. A question goes out to the rest of my fellow Freaks, did you go with your pets when they were put down? Did you have any special service for them? I have none, but you never know how far people will take things. To each their own. One of my friends cremated his dog, and now has it in an urn over his mantel. For me, taking a bunch of pictures and having them professionally framed is a great remembrance piece to honor Moses' life.

P.S. Out of respect towards the situation, and recognizing the pain and sadness that has come from it, I would greatly appreciate it if nobody pokes fun.

Thanks in advance,

Eli26

My heart goes out to you. I have a dog myself and my girlfriend has a cat that we adore. Sounds strange but I cannot imagine life without them...

All the best... It's terrible what you're going through but you gave him a great life for so long.

It will be hard and difficult but you should be there. I shared a moment like that with a friend a few years ago. They give us so much joy that we forget that this is part of the process. As difficult as it will be, you will never regret it. Your presence will make his last moments comfortable.

Others may not express it, but our hearts are with you.

Last edited:
I've been struggling with insomnia, and part of it has been brought on by the cat. I used to sleep very well. Man, I almost want to have the appointment canceled and hide the cat on the mother. I live on my own, but she has the key... That, and with college starting up Sept 2nd, she wants me to get it over with so my education doesn't suffer.

I'll be honest I wished that I would wake up one morning and find that he passed away pleasantly in his sleep.

Thanks so much for the kind words. You have no idea how welcoming it is.

:monkey2:monkey2

First and foremost I'm so sorry to hear about Moses. It sounds like he was/is greatly loved by you and many and he will be sorely missed.

IMO I think you are making the right decision to be there with him when he's put to sleep. I think he will be quite appreciative and calm that you are there with him. He's not aware of what is going to happen and to have his 'family' (because that's what he views you as, just as you seem to view him) there will be a great comfort to him.

I know it sounds silly, but I have had him so long he's become more than just another pet to me, but has taken on the role of a sibling.

What you have written is not silly at all and I very much understand.

A question goes out to the rest of my fellow Freaks, did you go with your pets when they were put down? Did you have any special service for them? I have none, but you never know how far people will take things. To each their own. One of my friends cremated his dog, and now has it in an urn over his mantel. For me, taking a bunch of pictures and having them professionally framed is a great remembrance piece to honor Moses' life.

I myself have never had to go through the sad deed of having a pet put to sleep. But I did loose two dear cats many years ago to coyotes (because of those events my current cat is strictly indoors). Petit and Zero were wonderful cats and losing them cut deeply and to this day I do still miss them (not as much as I miss my human family members that have passed on but I do think of them and I do wish they were still here).

I didn't do anything special after my cats were gone (mainly because there were no bodies to do anything with, no kind of burial to be done). There was a grieving process I went through and that was really it. I have some pictures of my dearly departed hairy companions that I'm happy to have as a remembrance of these pets that I cherished.

damn i can so relate to this. My cat of 21 years was put down 2 years ago, she was 3 years older than me and i had never known a day with out her, ill admit i cried like a baby it was very sad. she was just too old and her kidneys were failing and she was in alot of pain so it was the best thing really. dont know if this helps but when they die at a ripe age it kinda makes it easier if that makes sense. u know that there is nothing that can be done. no one can cheat death and it is a path that we all must take. i recently had to put a puppy down and it was alot harder because i knew that he hadnt lived out most of his life.

the injection is very quick and painless so just talk to him and comfort him u can do know more.

I've been here several times, its the problem with growing up with dogs.

When they have been part of your life for so long it is hard to imagine life without them, same goes for people for that matter (been THERE too many bl**dy times too)

Your idea of a "photo-memorial" is a great one, i'd personally prefer that over an urn, tho i have had each of my dogs cremated when the time came, i just scattered the ashes in the places THEY loved most and kept the memories of the pack :)

My heart goes out to you kid...it gets easier, over time...if you need a shoulder let me know :)

:monkey2:monkey2

First and foremost I'm so sorry to hear about Moses. It sounds like he was/is greatly loved by you and many and he will be sorely missed.

IMO I think you are making the right decision to be there with him when he's put to sleep. I think he will be quite appreciative and calm that you are there with him. He's not aware of what is going to happen and to have his 'family' (because that's what he views you as, just as you seem to view him) there will be a great comfort to him.

What you have written is not silly at all and I very much understand.

I myself have never had to go through the sad deed of having a pet put to sleep. But I did loose two dear cats many years ago to coyotes (because of those events my current cat is strictly indoors). Petit and Zero were wonderful cats and losing them cut deeply and to this day I do still miss them (not as much as I miss my human family members that have passed on but I do think of them and I do wish they were still here).

I didn't do anything special after my cats were gone (mainly because there were no bodies to do anything with, no kind of burial to be done). There was a grieving process I went through and that was really it. I have some pictures of my dearly departed hairy companions that I'm happy to have as a remembrance of these pets that I cherished.

I'm sorry for your loses. I can see you love your pets as well. Both of you. Man, this sucks. I am so not looking forward to 5:15 PM. That's when the appointment is. What bothers me is that we decide our pet's fate. I wished I can get inside my cat's head and fully understand what he's going through and if he wants this. I would hate to find out that putting him down later today was a premature move. Not that I ever would, but it has been in the back of my mind.

Wow, I didn't notice all the posts made prior to the one I made prior to this one. Wow, that's a lot of priors. Sorry, need to lighten the mood. Although that is shortly lived, then I am brought back down to reality before you know it.

I know this may sound morbid, but how long does the injection take roughly? I know nothing of this. I don't know if it makes the situation any better knowing, but I really hope he doesn't experience any pain from it.

Last edited:
a minute or 2 very fast (or so it seemed). its like they just go to sleep

That is fast. Oh man. That doesn't make it any better knowing. Well, it does and it doesn't. It does because he doesn't suffer, and it doesn't because he's no longer with the rest of the living world.

Uggh man, it's impossible to describe to people that don't own pets just how much they become an integral part of the family, we've had our Dalmatian for nearly 8 years now and he very nearly passed away this year during an operation to remove a slipped disc...my Mum was distraught all the time he was gone. They form a bond that I would never have believed possible beforehand.

You have my sympathies.

I'm sorry for your loses. I can see you love your pets as well. Both of you. Man, this sucks. I am so not looking forward to 5:15 PM. That's when the appointment is. What bothers me is that we decide our pet's fate. I wished I can get inside my cat's head and fully understand what he's going through and if he wants this. I would hate to find out that putting him down later today was a premature move. Not that I ever would, but it has been in the back of my mind.

Understandable.

Considering the drastic weight loss and what your vet has advised I'd bet that this very painful and difficult decision is the best thing for Moses. Cats are quite amazing with it comes to pain...you just can't tell when they are suffering (not that I'm implying Moses is in a suffering state since that is not a 100% certainty) and to end the pain he is probably in is the most loving thing you can do for him. Obviously these words don't make it any easier.

Oh and I agree with previous posters that your picture memorial is the best idea.

Anyway, instead of using this time right now posting I am going to use it cuddling with Moses, and keeping him company. Again, thanks all for the kind words thus far. It really is easing the pain, albeit by a small margin. But anything is better than nothing.

Very sorry to hear of your loss Eli, I have also been down this path with my dog who was diognosed with a brain tumor.I didn't take it very well actually I was a bit of a mess.
The vet gave him 2 years he fought it for 3, the tumor was growing in the part of his brain that controled his balance, so it looked like he was walking around drunk all the time, he would raise his leg to take a wiz and would fall over just seeing him like that put me in tears, as time went on it got worse to the point were he could'nt walk any more so I had to put him down. My Vet was nice enough to come do it in my home.
Stay strong Eli and think about the good times you guys shared and he will always be
with you.

Anyway, instead of using this time right now posting I am going to use it cuddling with Moses, and keeping him company. Again, thanks all for the kind words thus far. It really is easing the pain, albeit by a small margin. But anything is better than nothing.

I couldnt have suggested a better idea...our hearts are with you Eli, and with Moses

Dang bro, tough way to start the mornin' hearing about the sad news you are dealing with. You know we are with you in spirit man. It is good to know that Moses was so loved and I am sure that was not lost on him as well. I am glad you have someone who can take you today and be with you through this painful process because I am sure your emotions will be overflowing. It is always hard to let a loved one go, and yes, some of us DO consider our pets to be loved ones, but as you have already come to know it is sometimes the only thing we have left to do for them. I will be with you in spirit today James, and you will be in my thoughts. Bless you bro!

The hardest part of losing our pet dog was that she died by herself. She was discovered by my son when he came home from school....just a half hour before I came home. Her body was still warm. Go with Moses and keep him company. It's not going to be easy, but it will help with the closure. I never got one...and I still mourn her ten years later. And cry as often as you need to.

I am a firm believer that pets reincarnate and come back to you. My Mom had a cat named Morgana that everyone adored. She was tough but when she got to know you a very sweet cat. The day she died, my Father swore never to have a cat again. It was Mom's cat but Dad gave her most of her medicine before she went. They became very close. About a a year after Morgana died, my Grandmother's cat had kittens and one was very spunky like Morgana. She was given to my parents, and is just like Morgana. They call her Charlie now.

I had this gut reaction one day and called Charlie Morgana and she gave me a look of understanding. Now she just gets mad when I call her Morgana.

But, I tell you this to let you know that Moses will be back in a different form, but you'll see him again.

Damn brotha, im very sorry for your situation. I however can not relate as Ive never had a long time pet like Moses. However, Ive had a few friends who have been in your same situation. Take it easy and remember that you'll always have those memories forever.

Back