Hugh Jackman as Wolverine

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How satisfied are you with Hugh Jackman's portrayal of Wolverine in the X-Men movies?

• 5 - Stars

Votes: 110 56.7%
  • 4 Stars

Votes: 57 29.4%
  • 3 Stars

Votes: 18 9.3%
  • 2 Stars

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • 1 Star

Votes: 4 2.1%

• Total voters
I was happy with Jackman's portrayal, but when they re-reboot X-Men and Marvel finally gets it from Fox, hopefully the character will be recast closer to comic type.

I think Jackman does a great job. I just don't like how they portray him in the films. He is supposed to be a master of martial arts but they don't portray him that way. I think the way Uma Thurmans character in Kill Bill takes out the club full of henchman is how deadly Wolverine should be. Also think for the film makers to portray him correctly they will need to go for an R rated film.

I picked 5 star, based solely on the Mansion scene in X2

If he could be that Wolverine in all the films :drool
Yeah, he did good there.

By the same token, I always think of the cage fight scene in the first film - that REALLY impressed me when I first saw it.

He was wild, angry, hairy - the hair was perfect, & you believed that he WAS that guy. :rock

I think Jackman does a great job. I just don't like how they portray him in the films. He is supposed to be a master of martial arts but they don't portray him that way. I think the way Uma Thurmans character in Kill Bill takes out the club full of henchman is how deadly Wolverine should be. Also think for the film makers to portray him correctly they will need to go for an R rated film.

Exactly! But that's the problem with big hollywood productions most of the time. They'll usually change as much of the story or charactar as is necessary to get a PG-13 rating so they can get the kids into the cinemas and maximise their profits: screw an accurate portrayal if we could instead make a couple more bucks!:mad:

The only short muscular actor I can think of (that's also halfway good) would be Mark Wahlberg who I think is only like 5'7" or 5'8" - still not really short enough and after seeing Jackman all these years it would fell wierd seeing someone else take over the role.

I was happy with Jackman's portrayal, but when they re-reboot X-Men and Marvel finally gets it from Fox, hopefully the character will be recast closer to comic type.

Yeah right, that's his role and everyone knows it! His Wolverine will only get better the older and more grizzled he gets!

As much as I loved him in the comics, his official height is long overdue for an overhaul (I think he's taller in Ultimates right?). The best Wolvie depictions in my day were done by Jim Lee, who never really drew him that tiny. The trick? Always draw him crouched in full body shots and only the upper body when standing straight.

Even bodybuilders under 5'6 start to look like musclebound leprechauns.

Anyway, his performance has convinced me to add some inches to the character overall. It's for the best. I'd go with 5'9 or 5'10.

Realistically 20th Century Fox took X-Men and fubar'd continuity, screwed up rosters and changed histories. Even fans of the original movies had to admit that it was it's own thing that you'd have to just accept to enjoy so in that vein I have no problem with Jackman as Wolverine. Even his cameo in FC still dripped of the ol' Canuck that I loved from the books and given the obvious physical differences I think he has done fantastically in the role.

_____ing about him at this point is like spitting into the wind, he has the role and will until either his films make no money or Marvel gets the license back and given that 20th Century Fox has flipped off Disney publicly as recently as last year about the rights to the characters they own and any talk of returning them I would imagine any people who aren't fans will have to just deal with it.

The only group that was more adamant about keeping their licensing intact than 20th Century Fox was Universal's Theme Park hold and the agreements that Marvel couldn't outsource or licensing their characters in any capacity East of the Mississippi.

I voted 5 stars. I love Jackmans potrayal of Wolverine. He's one of the best things about the X-men movies.

Voted 5 stars as well. Before the first XMen movie came out, I always thought someone like Stallone could play Wolvie because he was short and muscular. But I know he wouldn't be able to "play" the character correctly. When I first saw that leaked photo of Jackman as Wolverine with the leather jacket and the claws drawn, I thought he looked great and I didn't put too much stock in the height issue. And of course once I saw the movie and saw that the got the character just right, nothing else mattered.

But really, how does the height inform the character of Wolverine? How important a physical characteristic is it? Was being short somehow intrinsic in making him be so angry and volatile because he always had to prove himself or had a chip on his shoulder? Maybe, but I don't think Jackman's portrayal suffered one single bit because they ignored this one aspect of his personality. They just found a different way of getting this anger across.

Also, what works on the page might not have worked onscreen. It might have looked silly for someone who is 5"2" to be mauling every bad guy in sight without it looking bit silly and take the audience out of the scene.

Ill always like him as Wolverine because prior to watching him in the role I never really even liked the character. He seemed to really give me some interest in the Xmen.

i hated the idea back when, as i did w/ a Keaton Bats (Mr. Mom?!), but both ended up doing really well. my ONLY gripe is his height. maybe they shoulda gave him the ole hobbit FX treatment lol. i remember reading that Glen Danzig woulda been a good casting, but doubt he can act heh

Know any five foot three muscle men that can act better than Jackman?

There is a reason Danny DeVito had the market on short guy parts.

I remember when Jean-Claude Van Damme was attached to the role. Could have been much worse. I am glad Jackman IS Wolverine. He was born to play the part.

Can't wait for The Wolverine.

Hugh Jackman as Wolverrine is fine. As far as him being too tall is just silly. Would you far have a short muscular man with no acting abilities for the part? :lol @Danzig for the Wolverine part. He is a musician not an actor. It would have been pretty funny though.

CGI is the answer

I agree that Jackman is a fantastic Wolvie, and I'm glad they found such a great match between actor and character. BUT. . .

I agree with this, and it goes beyond martial arts and violence. Movie Wolverine just lacks a certain something about the character that is evident in the comics. Close, but they aren't the same guy exactly. And I'm cool with that, but if they can make Jackman more like the comic counterpart in subsequent movies in terms of personality/temperament/skills and in terms of his predilection for wanton violence, then that would be an improvement IMO. I'm glad the role never went to Danzig, anyway. Though strangely, I think Glenn could have captured some of the intangible Wolvie characteristics better than Jackman, overall, I can't think of a single actor that I can imagine pulling it off quite so well overall as Jackman has.

I think he did a great job. As far as the height, if you don't have a problem with Tom Cruise portraying tall people, it doesn't matter if Jackman plays a short one.

I think your concerns about Logan's martial arts skills will be addressed in The Wolverine.

the-wolverine.jpg

I think your concerns about Logan's martial arts skills will be addressed in The Wolverine.
I was very optimistic when Aronofsky was attached. Jackman has said that he wants to go back to the essence of Wolverine in the comics, and that, the ties to the Claremont/Miller series, and the direction of such a great filmmaker made it seem like the formula for greatness. Mangold is hit-or-miss IMO, but we'll see.

i hated the idea back when, as i did w/ a Keaton Bats (Mr. Mom?!), but both ended up doing really well. my ONLY gripe is his height. maybe they shoulda gave him the ole hobbit FX treatment lol. i remember reading that Glen Danzig woulda been a good casting, but doubt he can act heh

This is what I've been saying since 2000. He's perfect for the role except for his height. If the director's would film it the way Jackson does for the LOTR movies there'd be no problems with Jackman.

I voted 5 stars. Jackman is Wolverine same as Christopher Reeve is Superman in my book.

I completely agree 100%, both actors have taken the role and owned it in their own way. If Wolverine ever got recast, I would lose hope in the whole franchise. Also I read a post about Jackman being too lean; Jackman IMHO is the perfect size in regards to muscle mass. I can give two _____s about his height to be honest. Just as long as he is taller than the Sentinels (if ever portrayed on film) haha. So I give him a 5

Back