Howard Chan Interview Session - Toy People - trans. by Charles Lim (UPDATED Oct 3)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The one Star Trek figure I've always thought would be cool to have in 1/6th form is Data from First Contact. Preferably from the scenes where he's been captured by the Borg Queen and have it with alternate head sculpts, with part of his skin torn off and the mechanical skull partially revealed. I'd also take a Picard. Too bad they'll probably never happen.

To me as good as the stuff they make looks, it's ridiculous to pay that much money for Iminime stuff when they aren't even making an officially licensed product.

What's it matter if it looks good? At the end of the day, I care about the figure on my shelf, not the name on the box.

What's it matter if it looks good? At the end of the day, I care about the figure on my shelf, not the name on the box.

:lecture I think people who buy Iminime's stuff - which is still way cheaper than Rainman's customs and consistently a lot better imo - appreciate that a small, boutique outfit is going to have to charge a premium for all the overheads even if they aren't shelling out for licenses.

I just don't like the idea of paying an even more premium price for something that's unofficially licensed than what I already pay for something that's officially licensed. Sure the smaller companies have overhead for what they produce too and likely aren't able to make their items in the quantities that a larger company is able to but paying practically double in a lot of cases (compared to what a company like Hot Toys would charge for a similar item) for what can almost be looked at as a knock off product is just kind of silly to me.

I don't see how it can be viewed as a "knock-off," even if someone else did make an official version; if they used a recast head, sure, but, to be honest, we're comparing apples and oranges here. I used to be part of the "I'll only buy if there's a Hot Toys logo on the box" crowd, but, at the end of the day, my interests are further reaching than Chan's willing to go.

As far as the price goes, Denny's actually trying to make IMINIME a l business like HT (with actual licenses and all those goodies!), so, on top of materials, he has a team to pay, and he's actually making quite a sacrifice by charging what he does. You may say that $390 is expensive, but there are many other customs that cost just as much, and, often, way more.

I don't see how it can be viewed as a "knock-off," even if someone else did make an official version; if they used a recast head, sure, but, to be honest, we're comparing apples and oranges here. I used to be part of the "I'll only buy if there's a Hot Toys logo on the box" crowd, but, at the end of the day, my interests are further reaching than Chan's willing to go.

As far as the price goes, Denny's actually trying to make IMINIME a l business like HT (with actual licenses and all those goodies!), so, on top of materials, he has a team to pay, and he's actually making quite a sacrifice by charging what he does. You may say that $390 is expensive, but there are many other customs that cost just as much, and, often, way more.
To me a knock off is something that's made unofficially. So these companies are essentially making a knock off item and trying to pass it off for the real thing (even if they aren't outright saying it). Just doesn't sit right with me. It doesn't have to be Hot Toys I could really care less who makes the product, but I have more respect for companies who obtain a license rather than not. Just personal opinion though.

As for the pricing, I still don't agree. It's a lot of money for a product that a lot of times looks good but not so good that it's worth that much more of a premium. I mean honestly I look at that Quinto Spock and it's a nice figure yes, but is it worth the $390 that Iminime wants for it? To me personally it's not but again that's just personal preference. I understand some people want them and it's nice to get a version of a character that might otherwise not be made but it's just not for me. I also understand about them and other smaller outfits not having the resources of a larger company and having more overhead but still what they charge just seems a bit on the outrageous side to me. Also this isn't just a dig at Iminime it's at really any company who produces unofficial figures. I do have a certain level of respect for what they do and think there's a lot of talented people, it mostly boils down to me not liking to support something that's not official. It just bothers me for whatever reason but it's personal preference.

Last edited:
It doesn't have to be Hot Toys I could really care less who makes the product, but I have more respect for companies who obtain a license rather than not. Just personal opinion though.

Hot Toys have served up their own share of unlicensed figures. It's easy to take the moral high-ground of license acquisition once you're an established outfit. Everyone starts somewhere, and oftentimes its with unlicensed products.

... what they charge just seems a bit on the outrageous side to me.

It'd be more fair to say that what people are prepared to pay seems a bit outrageous. What Iminime charges seems absolutely reasonable to me, when I think about what I'd have to charge to make it worth my while churning out the same product.

To me a knock off is something that's made unofficially. So these companies are essentially making a knock off item and trying to pass it off for the real thing (even if they aren't outright saying it). Just doesn't sit right with me. It doesn't have to be Hot Toys I could really care less who makes the product, but I have more respect for companies who obtain a license rather than not. Just personal opinion though.

As for the pricing, I still don't agree. It's a lot of money for a product that a lot of times looks good but not so good that it's worth that much more of a premium. I mean honestly I look at that Quinto Spock and it's a nice figure yes, but is it worth the $390 that Iminime wants for it? To me personally it's not but again that's just personal preference. I understand some people want them and it's nice to get a version of a character that might otherwise not be made but it's just not for me. I also understand about them and other smaller outfits not having the resources of a larger company and having more overhead but still what they charge just seems a bit on the outrageous side to me. Also this isn't just a dig at Iminime it's at really any company who produces unofficial figures. I do have a certain level of respect for what they do and think there's a lot of talented people, it mostly boils down to me not liking to support something that's not official. It just bothers me for whatever reason but it's personal preference.

You do know that HT started out creating unlicensed figures, don't you? They even made a George Lucas, at one point.:lol One thing I think that you, perhaps, may not realize is just how expensive these licenses are, and the fact that some of them are in such crazy shape that, no matter how much you had, you aren't going to be able to get them. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, for instance, is such a mess that even HT couldn't do it.

For me, if I can get a quality Blondie, I will; regardless of whether or not it says "Blondie" on the box.

You do know that HT started out creating unlicensed figures, don't you? They even made a George Lucas, at one point.:lol One thing I think that you, perhaps, may not realize is just how expensive these licenses are, and the fact that some of them are in such crazy shape that, no matter how much you had, you aren't going to be able to get them. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, for instance, is such a mess that even HT couldn't do it.

For me, if I can get a quality Blondie, I will; regardless of whether or not it says "Blondie" on the box.
No I understand licenses are very expensive. I just don't think it's right for a company to take licensed property of a studio or whatever it may be and make money off of it without paying the owner of that property. I understand companies have to start off somewhere but essentially by taking someone else's work and cashing in without paying them just seems kind of wrong to me. Also for the record no I didn't realize this about Hot Toys and I'm not necessarily defending them, I'm just going off of how they handle their business now. I wouldn't have supported them either if they were making unofficial items back when. If Iminime gets to the point where they're big enough that they're able to afford to officially license products I'd be more supportive.

Hot Toys was releasing bodies with heads using unapproved licenses as recently as a couple of years back, and of course, some of their earlier figures were totally unlicensed. Hell, Sideshow used unapproved likenesses for various GI Joe figures, some better disguised than others. Everyone's got their own line in the sand about what is or isn't acceptable in this area, though it's truly a gray area. But twice the cost of a Hot Toys figure for a high quality figure of a character from a film I really care about is worth it to me. $250 for an Iron Man with 2 seconds of screen time won't usually cut it.

:lecture I think people who buy Iminime's stuff - which is still way cheaper than Rainman's customs and consistently a lot better imo
Well, I think you can quibble with both points. The way I usually buy from Rainman is the head/clothing set. There, you get a painted head, clothing, and accessories for around $500. No body, and still slightly more than Iminime, but not significantly more IMO. And as for consistently being better, the tailoring from Rainman is absolutely the top of the line. Iminime still had a ways to go last I saw (in part due to cost-cutting leading to lower quality materials), but Rainman's tailor is Hot Toys quality or better. And Rainman is THE master of doing accessories. Maybe Iminime gets more accurate sculpts on balance, but you've got pros and cons on both sides.

Well said. :clap

No I understand licenses are very expensive. I just don't think it's right for a company to take licensed property of a studio or whatever it may be and make money off of it without paying the owner of that property. I understand companies have to start off somewhere but essentially by taking someone else's work and cashing in without paying them just seems kind of wrong to me..
Fair points as well - although - yeah, as Batfan said, HT started out like that too. :lol

If it eventually leads to a more competitive high-end figure market, then he needs all the support he can get.

Back