How SideShow could do it next

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: How Sideshow Can do it next?

Ever have one of those brain farts where you can't remember a word? It's right there on the tip of your brain....but still inaccessible...

Unfortunately, more often then I would like. Some should've been easy for me to remember like.......um, ahhhhhhh..........oh, never mind :bang

QUOTE:
"the Lawgiver is the only one of the seven to sell out, and did so in just 40 minutes. I think that the fact it was coming got leaked so early, has kept POTA collectors from picking up the regular version, and they waited for this one."

MWC, while this SEEMS to make sense, I have to disagree that this is what happened. For one thing, yes, the identity of the "Vision Lawgiver" leaked early ( I was actually the one who started the first thread about it, after it was listed in the "arriving in the next 30 days" portion of a March Newsletter). But we didn't know FOR SURE until May 31 what the "Vision Lawgiver" would actually be ( although we had guessed correctly); nor did we know what the edition size would be, or if it was one of the SDCC Exclusives. Also, the original Lawgiver statue had already been available for pre-sell for several months; I can't imagine too many people held off ordering that one to wait on the exclusive, not knowing any of the exact details. At that point, anyone remotely interested in the Lawgiver had probably already ordered one.

Then too, even after seeing the "Vision" statue, I think most die-hard "Apes" fans, given a choice between the two, would select the original statue if they only had room for one or the other in their collection ( after all, the "Vision" statue was only a mirage created by the mutants and appears in one scene of "Beneath", whereas the original statue is depicted in several scenes across the movie series, and would lend itself to more authentic displays). And remember, even though the "Vision" statue is a low edition size piece (100), the original didn't exactly have a huge production run ( 700 or 750, if I'm recalling correctly).

No, I have to conclude that the VAST MAJORITY of these were purchased by dealers, speculators, or collectors with the intention of re-selling for a profit, either to pocket or to help defray the cost of another exclusive. I believe that when they saw the extremely low edition size of 100, they assumed there would be a secondary market for these that would support inflated prices. Already, I have seen 4 of these up for sell on ebay. 2 of them started off with a "Buy-It-Now" of $259.99; after a couple days with no "bites", the sellers have lowered the BIN to $199.99, and as of this time they still haven't sold. (And regarding those 2 auctions, while on the surface they seem to be offered by 2 different sellers, "hugeworm" and "bloodymurray", they have the EXACT SAME layout, wording, and pictures, are both from sellers located in Arlington, Tx, and are obviously being sold by the same person, so it seems the "1 per person" limit hasn't been too difficult to circumvent for scalpers).

I don't think the actual interest in this piece is that great, I just think the perception is that it will command a high price on the secondary market, but I think we'll see the interest in this piece will be lukewarm at best. Myself, I am an "Apes completest", and want one for my collection solely because I love the POTA Movie series. I have the original statue, and through the kindness of a member of this board ( thanks, Tom!), I'm lucky enough to have the "Vision" statue secured, even though I tried (and failed) to get one through Sideshow's "Collect-At-Home" offer. Although it might be unrealistic, I hope that, ultimately, these all find their way into the hands of POTA fans at around the original cost.

Yeah quite right . My apologies to the affiliates.:bow It
was the damn retailers, lmao.

Now I have to apologise to the dealers, which I do, but not the damn dealers. You guys ruined it for us. :p

(And regarding those 2 auctions, while on the surface they seem to be offered by 2 different sellers, "hugeworm" and "bloodymurray", they have the EXACT SAME layout, wording, and pictures, are both from sellers located in Arlington, Tx, and are obviously being sold by the same person, so it seems the "1 per person" limit hasn't been too difficult to circumvent for scalpers).

I noticed those "sellers" myself, but it was for Patient Zero AND WW Oz!!
And ebay seller "bluegaiga" has TWO Patient Zero's up and they're both under the same name!!! And he has TWO WW Oz!!! As a matter of fact, a quick ebay search for the SDCC exclusives shows many of the same "dealers" for each item. Kind of lucky they got thru for ALL of them when some of us couldn't [right Creech? ;) ]
Perhaps, the idea of a clause in Sideshow's wording for cancellation of the order should it show up on ebay is in order. But, who are they and how do you assure one's ebay ID is the same info they gave Sideshow?? That's why I like the "pre-order" thru the newsletter idea. It may take a little more work and/or time but could help to prevent this type of ebay action. Hopefully.

I don't know warlock - if the majority of the 100 were bought by dealers, why only 4 up for sale on ebay right now? And unlike stuff like Luke (with 14 up for sale) and Oz (with 11 up for sale), the BIN prices aren't double the SDCC price, even in the beginning.

I don't think a lot of dealers bought these - the original hasn't sold well, and for scalpers, and initial investment of $150 better well be a pretty sure thing. $50 for an Oz? Not such a big deal, but $150 for something likely to sit around? That's usually not their deal.

One way or another, the lawgiver is certainly an aberration.

Michael
MWC

Re

And regarding those 2 auctions, while on the surface they seem to be offered by 2 different sellers, "hugeworm" and "bloodymurray", they have the EXACT SAME layout, wording, and pictures, are both from sellers located in Arlington, Tx, and are obviously being sold by the same person, so it seems the "1 per person" limit hasn't been too difficult to circumvent for scalpers
They (if they are different sellers) have had every single SS exclusive for sale on eBay. >:

I have to go along with Ironman, I was disappointed to miss out on PZero an WW oz, it all led up to a very tense an exciting day. Co-ordinated ever so kindly by Sideshows Master of the web, Chris. My feelings of loss were all turned around by getting the Ultimate HellBoy. The support of those in chat and Chris were the telling factors. I was fortunate, too, that so many people were able to help me directly, or direct me to a source, to acquire both the exclusives Zero and Oz. My exclusion from the wait list means those on it have a greater hope in obtaining their wants.

The spotlight now points to the attendees. Is it fair for attendees not to be able to obtain the exclusive of there choice? Not providing the "Con gift" would be rather lack lustre.

So how can Sideshow do it next? Well, it sounds like the question suggests there will be these 'con exclusives'. Which nullifies my tack of not having exclusives at all. Not having gone to the Con I have various ideas on what is expected by visitors to it, from it. To take the opposite tack I'd say Sideshow should do it as a complete, on-line, pre-order, no limit, except. Except have it pre announced way in advance and every newletter there after, that at a certain time, for a certain period, orders will be taken and fulfilled. Taking the attitude that the con is a global experience, able to be visited in person, or on-line as a non-attendee. The pre-orders taken, set the limit number of any particular item.

If they went ahead and did that for a con "exclusive" were you order it for so long or whatever. You might as well just make it a regular release and if you want you can pick your stuff up at the con.

If they went ahead and did that for a con "exclusive" were you order it for so long or whatever. You might as well just make it a regular release and if you want you can pick your stuff up at the con.

:idea
OK!!!!

Yeah, I totally feel for people feeling shafted because they like creech live outside the US or they can't go to the show. If a character is used that they want at the show it does suck for them.

Exclusives though are fun and annoying at the same time. I think though thats why they are fun because they are annoying. It just adds something a little special to the line or going to an event. I totally disagree with just doing some BS item for a Con or doing away with it totally. These items have to be something special enough to make people interested in them and possibly grab someone who might start collecting them. Its all about marketing.

Well Okay, that's the idea. :lol Make everyone happy. It's just a matter of perspective and attitude. The thing being, it wont be like a regular release, it will be a Con exclusive.

Not everyone will be able to order, some will be away, and it's too bad if you start collecting later. There wont be any more made, than are ordered, in the particular time frame. Sideshow gain newsletter members and its marketing opportunities. The idea can be altered. The ordering period could be announced the week before. The times in which an order can be made can be restricted to an hour a day, at a different time each day, to accomodate overseas time zones. It could all be done at the Comic Con, with a live feed of the Sideshow stand in one window, orders taken in another, while you chat in yet another. An attenting non- attendee. Its just an idea and an answer to the title of the thread.

Oops. looks like I used the wrong word too, two posts back, I meant damn retailers, not dealers. Sorry. :lol I wont have to apologise to a faceless retail chain will I? We hates them don't we? And who is the face behind the Comic Con. No-one, so don't pander to the bullies Sideshow. Do things the Sideshow way. Empower the little man, the collector that can't get laid, the disadavantaged Sidshow Freak, against the bully boys, meeting their criteria and laying down a new set of rules.

You rock our boat Sideshow :rock2 Now rock theirs :rock2

Actually, MWC, the initial "BIN" prices for the Vision Lawgiver on ebay WERE double the retail price ( actually a bit more, at $299; there was even one with a BIN of $499!) Only after a couple of days of no interest from bidders were the BINs dropped ( I've seen a few at $199, still no takers). Obviously, items like the Luke ( much larger fan base for Star Wars ) and Werewolf Oz ( smaller initial price), are going to attract more immediate sales and interest, and it would stand to reason more of these would be auctioned early on. And, too, remember that there are 5 times as many "Lukes" available ( 500 vs 100) and 7.5 times more Oz's (750 vs 100) than "Vision Lawgivers", so obviously there would be more auctions for those. Many speculators could just be lying in the weeds waiting to see what the market will bear for the Lawgiver piece, before either offering it for sale OR cancelling their orders ( and currently there are several more auctions on ebay going for the Lawgiver piece, and unless I'm mistaken one hasn't sold yet).

I also didn't mean to imply that the majority of these had sold to dealers, if that was the impression I gave, but to SPECULATORS, some of whom may very well BE dealers, or ebay scalpers, or collectors hoping to turn a profit to defray the cost of, say, Luke. I would like to think the majority of these are going directly into the hands of POTA collectors, but I really, really doubt it. I just think the "100 Piece Edition Size" tag was too irresistible a lure for buyers, already stoked up after purchasing Patient Zero, Thor's Hammer and Luke Skywalker Exclusives, to pass up. The fever had hit, and I'm sure there were many folks who found themselves logging in every 2 hours to buy items they normally wouldn't have. I myself bought a "Hooded Rohirrim" bust, and even though I'm a big LOTR fan, I don't own any other Sideshow/WETA pieces, outside of the DVD premiums. But having missed both Luke and Lawgiver, I thought I might at least be able to barter a trade for the Lawgiver using the LOTR piece.

As a POTA fan/collector myself, I still say, given the choice between the original Lawgiver or the Exclusive, most fans would prefer the "plain" version vs. the "bloody" version for their collection, if they could only have one, and wouldn't have waited to purchase the Exclusive that we weren't really sure about, anyway ( sicko that I am, though, I gotta have 'em both!).

So...basicly...no one would go to SDCC if Sideshow didn't have an exclusive for them??
If they would go anyway, then, the type of "at show" exclusive is somewhat moot. Any exclusive would be something extra and "special" and would be above and beyond the thrill and fun of just being able to attend the show.

To make it more FAIR these should be done on the weekend as I did not even have a chance. I am not whining but I feel that I have been let-down by SS being that I have spent THOUSANDS of dollars on purchases from them and then not even having a chance at an exclusive did piss me off. I had to WORK to earn money to pay for POLYTSTONE...:lol
ALSO............:idea
There are many collectors that have spent major bucks on purchases from SS so how about a GOLD CLUB or something where you are a member when you reach a certain dollar amount of purchases from SS. Then these Gold Club members would have exclusive collectibles offered to them first or items only available to GC members..
:yay
Bill
:gandalf

A gold club does sound good on the surface, but would have its own inherent problems. It would only be feasible to track purchases directly through SS. This would 1)hurt our board dealers and other retailers and 2) create a very difficult descision for customers (would the GC benefits be worth paying the higher prices directly from SS and losing discounts given through various dealers, or would it be worth be left out in the cold again on certain exclusives or GC perks to continue to save money by buying through dealers for less.)

Just like everything else, there is no 100% right or wrong. No method is going to work for everyone.

I'm a little confused by this:

That's why I like the "pre-order" thru the newsletter idea. It may take a little more work and/or time but could help to prevent this type of ebay action. Hopefully.

... and by other comments I have seen about email subscribers getting first dibs. As far as I know, anyone who orders from Sideshow direct automatically gets put on the newsletter? Or am I wrong about that? So obviously these guys selling on Ebay are also newsletter subscribers, no? And if there was a Collector's Club, they'd be in that too. I just think there is no possible way to keep scalpers from getting their hands on these items - companies can make it harder by limiting to 1 per person, but that's not going to stop it. If you take the time to set up multiple accounts, then you can get around that rule, etc. Scalping, unfortunately, is a fact of life, due to the importance of money in our society. :( It is in no way the company's fault.

And no, there will never be any "perfect" method... for anything: politics, religion, relationships, selling collectibles - SOMEONE will always be pissed. The most any company can do is make the greatest number of people happy that they can. And I saw SSC as really trying as hard as they could to do that this year... and it took a lot of work on their part as such a small company, as Chicky pointed out earlier. Not to say that there's not any room for improvement, only that no one can get it right without making mistakes along the way and learning from them. So :clap for SSC for trying harder than most companies to make people happy!

I thought you had to sign up for the newsletter specifically through the link on their site. I didn't realize you were signed up automatically with an order.

No...i believe you have to sign yourself up for the newsletter. I might be wrong though.

Yes, but you just have to sign up. Anyone can do it, and there's no cost. Unlike something like the Palisade's Collector's Club, where you're getting early info, inside news, photos, etc that are not to be shared, with a free newsletter there's not much chance of any sort of control.

Michael
MWC

The only way to become a member of our newsletter is through specifically signing up on the newsletter page. It is illegal to simply add customers to our newsletter database - so we avoid that like the plaque..:)

And as an aside...a club is in the early stages of evolution...but I can't give you a good idea of a time frame. We obviously want to make the experience of our devoted and loyal customers as positive as possible.

Back