How much is too much for a single 1/6th figure?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your limit for a mass produced 1/6th scale figure?

• Total voters
Perhaps they can be in theory. In reality, not always so.

Truth.
A PF done well is better IMO ....unfortunately Sideshow are generally happy to send out paint apps that are one step above slop.

Still my all time favorites are the PF Indy Temple of Room and the Arnie Conan .... I generally get bored of 1/6 and sell them off eventually, but never those 2 PF statues!

I don't own any PFs and I specifically don't buy any for financial reasons - buying even one of them could lead to more and more and more and so on (as was the case with 1:6 figures or indeed any scale of action figure).

But.....it seems to me that some pretty major fan favourite characters end up falling hugely short of expectations with these PFs. I mean....that T2 BD T-800......I'm sorry but if anyone thinks that is better than the Enterbay ''doll'' you are deluding yourself. Sometimes it really is that simple. I honestly don't feel there is any scope for subjectivity in that particular case. There is only fact. The PF looks awful. The strength of PFs is supposed to be that they choose one pose and they sculpt the whole thing in accordance with that pose to make it look as natural as it possibly can. Now, fine in theory. However the pose they selected is.......:dunno what do you even call it. It's not anything. Neither enough to be called 'aggressive' or sufficiently neutral to be called 'museum'. Neither does it look movie accurate particularly.

And that's before you even get to facial likeness and accuracy of the battle-damage - it bares a resemblance to Arnie, I can tell who it's supposed to be, but that's not huge praise. And the battle-damage is all sorts of wrong, seems like they didn't particularly care about making it accurate.

Tailoring - not great. That T-shirt is awful, it looks like a polo neck....sorry, HT managed far better on a 1:6 dolly.

Texture and paint - again, poor.

So truthfully anyone who says the T2 PF is better than Enterbay's BD T-800 or even Hot Toys DX13 is trying to justify the money they spent. I mean, if you just like collecting PFs then fine, sure, buy it. However there is no way in hell it is superior in appearance to either HT or EB, and it is certainly not better in 'presence' to EB.

I believe at least some of the same points could be made if you compared the Reeve Superman PF to the HT MMS152 and the Keaton Batman PF to the HT DX09.

Last edited:
:goodpost:

Everyone who's seen my collection generally thinks the 1:6 displays are "awesome", while my 1:4 scale pieces are generally met with skepticism and the phrase used for them most often is "too much". :lol

Most people I know look at 1/6 as toys and 1/4 as movie room collectibles ( almost all of my PFs are movie/tv characters ). There are some truly beautiful 1/6 figures out there, but to me they've never lost their "toy" feel where as a well done PF has a more "museum piece" feel. Sure, there are some PF fails out there, but overall they are just more impressive IMO.

Funny how you claim 1/6 as toys and 1/4 as movie collectibles as the majority of 1/6 are sculpted masterfully to actors' likenesses while most statues are from comic book or imagined characters with no basis in real life actors or the movie world.

Funny how you claim 1/6 as toys and 1/4 as movie collectibles as the majority of 1/6 are sculpted masterfully to actors' likenesses while most statues are from comic book or imagined characters with no basis in real life actors or the movie world.

I'm pretty sure Kit was referring more to the fact that 1/6 figures are part of the action figure or 'toy' tradition, ie visible joints, generic expression and hands (in most cases). The fact that action figures are inherently interactive also locates them in the 'toy' tradition. As far as which is more 'impressive', I personally find action figures more impressive because I value their photorealism over the more expressive qualities of statues.

this is turning into action figure vs statue shat.lolz

both formats have their own kinks, but it all boils down to preferences.

to me statues are just glorified rock stuff. if done right, its just plainly eye candy.:lol

I don't own any PFs and I specifically don't buy any for financial reasons - buying even one of them could lead to more and more and more and so on (as was the case with 1:6 figures or indeed any scale of action figure).

But.....it seems to me that some pretty major fan favourite characters end up falling hugely short of expectations with these PFs. I mean....that T2 BD T-800......I'm sorry but if anyone thinks that is better than the Enterbay ''doll'' you are deluding yourself. Sometimes it really is that simple. I honestly don't feel there is any scope for subjectivity in that particular case. There is only fact. The PF looks awful. The strength of PFs is supposed to be that they choose one pose and they sculpt the whole thing in accordance with that pose to make it look as natural as it possibly can. Now, fine in theory. However the pose they selected is.......:dunno what do you even call it. It's not anything. Neither enough to be called 'aggressive' or sufficiently neutral to be called 'museum'. Neither does it look movie accurate particularly.

And that's before you even get to facial likeness and accuracy of the battle-damage - it bares a resemblance to Arnie, I can tell who it's supposed to be, but that's not huge praise. And the battle-damage is all sorts of wrong, seems like they didn't particularly care about making it accurate.

Tailoring - not great. That T-shirt is awful, it looks like a polo neck....sorry, HT managed far better on a 1:6 dolly.

So truthfully anyone who says the T2 PF is better than Enterbay's BD T-800 or even Hot Toys DX13 is trying to justify the money they spent. I mean, if you just like collecting PFs then fine, sure, buy it. However there is no way in hell it is superior in appearance to either HT or EB, and it is certainly not better in 'presence' to EB.

I believe at least some of the same points could be made if you compared the Reeve Superman PF to the HT MMS152 and the Keaton Batman PF to the HT DX09.

What else is there too say, Andrew. Truth spoken, right there.
I also remember the case over here...dunno which guy it was....he bought the Mark 6 Maquette (I think it was a Maquette) from Sideshow.
Arrived, first look, beautiful...afterwards with closer looks...all kinds of paint app failures, chipping. You name it, it certainly was there.
I made, or did make a full repaint and it looked great afterwards, but at first....hundreds of dollars gone for a lackluster statue and that too is why I don´t collect statues.

HT and EB just simply are getting it done better, especially in terms of likenesses, fittings of clothes and details, Period.

With that said, btt:
I clicked 300, since my last was RoboCop and it cost me 279€.
But that really is the max for 1/6 with me.

It's only the truth if you prefer 1/6 as your medium of choice. I don't so to me it's not truth. I've admitted there are some great 1/6 figs out there, but as someone who collected both at one time I decided 1/4 was what I liked more by a wide margin. Yes, to me, 1/6 are toy dolls and there is nothing wrong with that if you like them and to me 1/4 PFs are museum display pieces. It's all a matter of your own personal preference. I just remember having Hasbro 1/6 Star Wars toys as a kid and for me personally 1/6 will always have the "toy" vibe to them no matter how well made or how expensive the price tag. So for the original topic question I see $200 as too much for what I consider to be a "toy" much less $800. Just my opinion.

PF's are far superior to dolls.

1414514233_.jpg

It's only the truth if you prefer 1/6 as your medium of choice. I don't so to me it's not truth. I've admitted there are some great 1/6 figs out there, but as someone who collected both at one time I decided 1/4 was what I liked more by a wide margin. Yes, to me, 1/6 are toy dolls and there is nothing wrong with that if you like them and to me 1/4 PFs are museum display pieces. It's all a matter of your own personal preference. I just remember having Hasbro 1/6 Star Wars toys as a kid and for me personally 1/6 will always have the "toy" vibe to them no matter how well made or how expensive the price tag. So for the original topic question I see $200 as too much for what I consider to be a "toy" much less $800. Just my opinion.

Fair enuff.. I think it was fairly predictable however, that the 'doll babies' remark was going to draw some 'incoming!'..to your PF foxhole.

I don't think it's about medium of choice but which medium has proven to represent likenesses better and with great quality. I think if Sideshow has been able to create PF's that are able to represent actors and movie characters with as much likeness as Hot Toys' 1/6, more movie collectors would have gravitated towards PF's by now. This is why I'm also excited about Blitzway since they're really putting out some photo-realistic statues of iconic movie characters.

Some PF's are excellent as long as it does not have to have facial likenesses. Vampirella, Dr. Doom, or the Court of the Dead are excellent-looking statues that come to mind. But the fact is most PF's have no likeness to movie characters and are not even based on any popular comic book artist's style. Look at the PF Reeve, DW Thor, or Keaton. Could anyone honestly claim that these are superior in likeness to what Hot Toys has put out? And for Sideshow to repurpose poor anatomy such as Batman's saggy biceps and try to cover it up with his cape is pathetic and really should be an insult to PF collectors. Sideshow can't even do decent likenesses on 1/6 much less 1/4. To claim PF's are good enough to be museum display pieces? Let's stop kidding ourselves.

'Museum display pieces' eh? "Inbetween the 'Sumerian' and 'African Savannah' sections sir, Dr Doom and friends will be on the right"

Spot on post. :exactly:

HT and EB just simply are getting it done better, especially in terms of likenesses, fittings of clothes and details, Period.

That's indisputable. :exactly:

We're not going to agree and that's fine. I don't have a preference of scale, I collect both 1:4 and 1:6 and some things in between. If any company could produce the characters I want in 1:4 as well as Hot Toys does in 1:6, I'd have just as many quarter scale pieces as I do sixth scale. But they can't.

We're not going to agree and that's fine. I don't have a preference of scale, I collect both 1:4 and 1:6 and some things in between. If any company could produce the characters I want in 1:4 as well as Hot Toys does in 1:6, I'd have just as many quarter scale pieces as I do sixth scale. But they can't.

But would you want a "figure" that you can "pose" or a PF style statue in 1/4 if the character likeness was there? Even a 1/4 scale figure that you can pose that sits on a plastic stand still screams "toy" to me. I'm honestly not trying to disparage 1/6 scale figures even with my "doll babies" comment LOL. I just can't believe that within about an 8 year period 1/6 figures have gone from 40 to 50 bucks to nearly 250 to 300 average. And many people seems fine with 500 or more and that's shocking to me because companies will gouge all they can for a figure that's basically a toy.

I agree, I started collecting 1/6 last year with the 89 batmobile then was addicted to HT. Batman was my line then got into wolverine ( since I'm a huge x-men fan, but unfortunately HT doesn't do Any other x-men). I started with the 80s stuff like terminator robocop(Marty on the way with the Delorian of course)I eventually got into ironman, just a few suits I said, then 8 suits later. I had more ironmen than anything else. Started to sell off some iron men now down to 3. With the price of HT being 300+. I started looking into PF for the price and dynamic pose(better value) I'm straying from HT(too many IM figs). So now I'm between PF and here and there some HT. I now only collect 90s x-men PF, and some HT.

But would you want a "figure" that you can "pose" or a PF style statue in 1/4 if the character likeness was there? Even a 1/4 scale figure that you can pose that sits on a plastic stand still screams "toy" to me. I'm honestly not trying to disparage 1/6 scale figures even with my "doll babies" comment LOL. I just can't believe that within about an 8 year period 1/6 figures have gone from 40 to 50 bucks to nearly 250 to 300 average. And many people seems fine with 500 or more and that's shocking to me because companies will gouge all they can for a figure that's basically a toy.

If both were equal (quality, cost, etc) and it's a pick one scenario then I'm taking the 1:4 figure that has options to pose 9 times out of 10. Swap out portraits, arms, legs, hands/fists, battle damage parts, etc are enticing b/c they allow me to change my display if the piece grows stale to me over time and also helps justify the cost. I'd only choose the PF (or Maquette really) if it were sculpted in a classic pose that was unachievable to replicate on the figure due to articulation limitations.

If both were equal (quality, cost, etc) and it's a pick one scenario then I'm taking the 1:4 figure that has options to pose 9 times out of 10. Swap out portraits, arms, legs, hands/fists, battle damage parts, etc are enticing b/c they allow me to change my display if the piece grows stale to me over time and also helps justify the cost. I'd only choose the PF (or Maquette really) if it were sculpted in a classic pose that was unachievable to replicate on the figure due to articulation limitations.

As someone said earlier, fair enough...... to each his own. Again, I think what's most shocking to me is the cost and what people are willing to pay for a figure. I remember buying all 3 original HT Pred's foe something like 120 a pop and they re released some recently for well over 200 for the SAME figure. Nothing new and nothing different. Same figure, but just 8 years later and raise in cost of 100 bucks........wow.

Back