How many of you buy duplicates?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
-Army building Neca aliens... blue, red, black
-Also Got some Neca Aliens stuff loose and in the package that I bought twice.
Nothing high end... last thing I bought 2 of higher end was probably the stormtrooper PF but I don't have them anymore.

I stopped buying doubles back when I was still collecting Spawn figures, had to many and eventually just gave some of them away. With today's prices you'd really have to evaluate how your $ is being spent, including space. The collecting mentality can be a weird thing sometimes.

Only duplicates nowadays are Hot Wheels.

On rare occasions, I will buy two figures if it's something I really like.

I did that recently with Marty McFly, which has been my holy grail since I started collecting - got the EX from SS and non-EX from BBTS. I plan on posing them differently and with different clothing/accessories. One will be displayed at home and the other will be at the office.

I got the decals (Nike, JVC, etc) but have not had the time to apply them yet.

I can understand if you're buying a duplicate in order to pose differently, or to give it a slightly different look or maybe take to another location (like one in your office and one at home), especially if it's a favorite.

I actually did buy a second Sideshow Indy (got him dirt cheap from a fellow boardie) so I could dress him up in the Map Room disguise that came with the HT Indy. I can also understand if you wanted to do some serious mods to a figure, but still wanted to keep one pristine. I often feel tempted to make some irreversible mods, but I prefer to keep my figures just how they came, especially because of the price.

But having one as a back up, sealed in the box seems extremely extravagant. Serious question to those who do buy a back up: Have you ever had the chance to use that back up? Like, "Yikes! The dog chewed up my Chewie! So glad I have a back up!"

Last edited:
Can't justify to myself spending the money to buy duplicates. And like Lu says, maybe to pose differently (like I will be doing with my 2 scout troopers) or display in another place, but as backup that just seems a bit extravagant, and to much money for me to spend.

I do, only with Masterpiece Transformers. Reason is quite obvious.

I truly hope they don't start releasing triple changers anytime soon.

Dolls? Never.

I can barely justify the expense of these things as it is. Duplicates? No way. I occasionally buy a duplicate HS to put on a different body, or I'll buy duplicate bodies to use for bashes, but a complete boxed set... That's just entirely too much money to spend on toys twice.

Only duplicate I ever got were four stormtroopers.. but I dont really consider that a duplicate being the nature of the figure.

I just couldn't comprehend the idea of owning duplicates for backup or investment reasons... It's expensive enough of a hobby just keeping it small and comprised of figures that mean something to me... and I currently have a fair degree of disposable income each month. So it's not that I can't afford to, I just won't 'waste' money like that..

There are one or two figures, like DX-13 T-800, which almost demands you pose both versions of it, but I wouldn't outright buy a second version of it... and to a lessor degree MMS238 T-800 also fits that category... I think Hot Toys would have been on to a winner if they had released "complete the second pose" kits in some cases... DX-13 you already have all the weapons you need, the second jacket, second head sculpt, and spare hands and interchangeable bustable arm...

I do this from time to time, only for pieces that are very special to me, not to easy to do these days at these prices but if I like something enough I will buy another for my MIB collection, not to sell or open cause something breaks as that almost never really happens, but just to have.

Cost ??? As far as different poses , I repose mine every so often, thats half the fun!

Never mind the added cost!

Plus , I just could t justify the wasted space on a dupe when it could be used for a new figure!

Did I mention the cost of a duplicate??

cost!!!!!!!!!

Used to...cant anymore with the price increases, family and new house.

But back in the day....always bought two....One to stock and one to rock!

I just bought my first duplicate purely to have a spare.

Otherwise, I use the excuse to army build, buy them as gifts or use for customs.
I've yet to give away or customise anything. The thing is though, variants.

I just bought my first duplicate purely to have a spare.

Otherwise, I use the excuse to army build, buy them as gifts or use for customs.
I've yet to give away or customise anything. The thing is though, variants.

love that es gokin prime.
the price is hefty for a little piece.
bandai's nxedge line is non diecast, easy on the pocket, great detail and articulation.

Only ever buy one of each figure. These figures are too expensive to have multiples, I would rather spend that money on something else. You never know if a figure will hold its value, or decline due to a new and improved version coming down the line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had planned on getting two of each HT RoboCop release - the movie is that meaningful to me - but have abandoned that for now. I can't justify the cost, especially with everything else on the docket.

I haven't actually purchased a duplicate of any figure yet, but I have been contemplating purchasing another AoU Cap if I can snare one for around retail price. I really like the figure, so it would simply be to have another one MIB, as TS mentioned earlier.

Back