How many times you quit the game?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

potato

Super Freak
Reaction score
So far i remember the 1st time i quit toys was around teen, where toys are no longer interesting. Only bought some Gundams coz it's fun to build them.

Then i started buying them when Japanese started coming up with Toys of classic robots/characters & really on a whole different level.

After few years, the whole collectible market really bloomed, many people started to jump into the game, prices started to soar, things were getting harder to get, economy were going down, the hobby getting more expensive, quit the 2nd time.

With 6 months of not spending a single dime on the hobby, started buying a few more stuff when i found alternatives to ebay, but this time the buying was much less, but soon i realize i'm running out of space, & have already gotten most of the things i wanted, gave up trying to recollect vintage lines i wanted to like MASK & Dino Riders & those that were now too expensive to own, and the whole HT Ironman fad pretty much shadowed everything else. Quit for the 3rd time.

Now despite still buying stuff, and actually buying more than before, i focus more on the monetary side, since there's rarely any new stuffs that i really really wanted, and the interest on those that i never managed to get faded, i focus on buying stuffs that i have some interest, at lower price, that can be easily let go with some small profit, to cover items that i decided to keep. Maybe the economy is getting worse, but it's become more of a buying/selling game. i don't preorder any HT products so i can sell it off, coz they cost too much and the waiting time is too long, i just focus on niche markets that is not Hot Toys or Enterbay.

So how bout you guys? Have you ever decided to quit the game, and whether your buying habits & mentality on collecting has changed? For me Money & Space played an important part in changing my buying habits. There were times where i wished i can sell everything off in 1 go and have a Zen like place to stay in.

I've never quit it. Been into this since I was a child and have been at it continuously since. Only since hitting my thirties have I made a conscious effort to scale the **** back. And I would never say that I will 'quit'. There would only be ''not buying anything at the moment''.

Had my toys as a kid, but actual purchasing/collecting from 20 to present (40). Had all of the Spawn stuff now long gone, still have my Simpsons figures. Love those. 12" stuff; JOES and SW. Hot Wheels, always HW. Statuary stared with models/garage kits, then into BD & SSC, etc...

Being selective helps a lot. If you have an emotional attachment it makes your collection more meaningful, getting items that you want to see in hand and don't really have any intention of keeping long term is just part of being a sophisticated collector.

Right now all of these manufacturers are selling you back your childhood at a high level of detail and pricing to match. If your in a hobby long enough you'll try to make it work for you as best you can limited only by your priorities. Once you loose interest it's time to move on. There's always something else to collect.

Unloading it all at once does look attractive but can hurt later. I did that with a ****load of comics, I'll live but I do think about from time to time.

Sell it all and travel.

alfred-nevah-jad.gif

I've never quit and never will. I may switch gears and collect a different line, scale, or type of collectible but I don't think it's in me to stop collecting.

To quit you have to get rid of it all.

I don't know, quitting doesn't mean having to sell everything off, if that is the case Michael Jordan would have sold off all his trophies and probably never touch a basketball ever again.

I don't know, quitting doesn't mean having to sell everything off, if that is the case Michael Jordan would have sold off all his trophies and probably never touch a basketball ever again.
Bad example. MJ retired about 3 times, so in other words he should of completely got rid of his hobby to avoid temptation.

I only quit themes since I started.
I quit collecting non earth based franchises... like Star wars, LOTR, etc. Does that count? :rock

But my kids will still get star wars stuff :slap

I've thought about quitting "the toy game" right around when I was a senior in high school, but said **** it, I like toys!

I've shifted focus in this hobby a few times. Started collecting when Hasbro/Kenner released their Star Wars POTF2 line back in 1995 and gradually moved over to collecting Sideshow pieces (mainly PF's) exclusively back in early 2006. Shifted again when Hot Toys released The Dark Knight figures in 2008 when room was starting to get a little tight. I quit the hobby last year and I haven't looked back. I enjoy checking out new stuff coming out from both companies...I don't have that temptation or itch to get back in. My focus has turned to acquiring arcade and pinball machines for my game room.

Back