How it's made: 1/6 Death Star hallway

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another 6 death Star dioramas are waiting to be picked up to be sent to their new owners. You guys have no idea how much work this is! I have enlisted the help of my retired dad, and we have spent well over one hundred hours already, especially on the painted kits. And of course that doesn't count all the hours the machine shops have spent preparing everything. Or my design time. Packing up this beast alone takes almost an hour per set. So many parts to be handled so carefully. I am not complaining mind you!

It's a good thing you never know how much work it is until it is done, or I might not have started. But I am having fun!

5893f9de55e3a499eee2566b86d0be39.jpg

Yeah doing customs make you appreciate the whole manufacturing process in a whole different light! Plus you're taking the time to do all the little extras too, which is a tremendously nice touch. Glad you're doing these and can't wait to get your item ready email. Have fun with it and try not to kill yourself. Thanks for all the hard work!

Thanks guys. Yeah you start to understand pricing better. I think little Asian kids have a better hourly wage than I do on this one. [emoji23]

Eternally grateful. Had you not created this I would probably never have bought a Darth Vader or Stormtrooper. But with this I feel that your art and beautiful work helps carry through the figures. This is really an incredible piece and you're going down in history for this one!!!

[...]You guys have no idea how much work this is! [...]

As a designer-maker (on a much smaller scale in terms of objects) I know exactly how much work that is, which is why I'm in awe. Real labour of love there, hats off to you because the results are stunning. :clap

It has arrived! The box is a lot heavier than I expected. I mentioned to Joost that the box didn't look a nice as it did in the photo he took prior to mailing, but it had a long journey and everything arrived safely. I'll be putting it together starting this weekend.

death-star.jpg

Another 6 death Star dioramas are waiting to be picked up to be sent to their new owners. You guys have no idea how much work this is! I have enlisted the help of my retired dad, and we have spent well over one hundred hours already, especially on the painted kits. And of course that doesn't count all the hours the machine shops have spent preparing everything. Or my design time. Packing up this beast alone takes almost an hour per set. So many parts to be handled so carefully. I am not complaining mind you!

It's a good thing you never know how much work it is until it is done, or I might not have started. But I am having fun!

5893f9de55e3a499eee2566b86d0be39.jpg

Appreciate all the work! Can't wait to get the email that mine is ready. I'm crazy excited to add this to my collection :)

Rick

You're right Rich, the box does look a bit beat up. That's double layered cardboard. But with all the layers of protection inside everything should be fine

It's the sticker, a "fragile" type sticker is like a red blanket to those people.

Looks like someone opened it to admire the craftsmanship as well, I'm thinking "Death Star Diorama" was too enticing a concept not to investigate further. :lol

I'm new to the forums but after seeing the work Jazz did on this kit, I had to have one. Got my kit last week and am nearly done with the construction. Overall, all the pieces went together exactly as Jazz laid out in his instruction video (so much better than ikea instructions!). The materials were top notch and fit perfectly together. My suggestion though is to watch the video couple times as some of the panels when glued must have clearance in the channels for the next panel so pay attention to those areas that are pointed out in the video and use the templates. I had some issues with my lighting kit included but Jazz has been great in helping out and hope to wrap this up this weekend. Hat's off to Jazz, my wife who is not normally interested in my hobby proactively offered to help and was impressed with how deep the paint application and weathering was in the diorama and how realistic it looks as a Death Star setting. Here is what I have so far, again lot's of credit that this kit looks exactly like the original in the beginning of this thread. Those of you building it again-take your time, it is worth the effort!
013.jpg
010.jpg

So I got it all done. I am amazed with the quality and detail.
For anyone who is getting this, take your time! Watch the video and make your way through step by step.
I really enjoyed putting it together.

I set it up quickly here with some figures. I think I may have to hit up Pixelpiper for some new light sabres to finish the look.
I didn't realize it, but it is also set up with grooves on the cargo bay door so glass can be slid in to seal it off from any dust.
Yet another great detail! I know its already been said many times but, Outstanding work Joost!:hi5::clap:panic:
Thanks for all your help.

So what are you doing next? Tattooine, Hoth rebel base, Death Star Throne Room, Bespin battle Vader and Luke, or maybe even the force awakens base. So many options.:stick

FullSizeRender-2.jpgFullSizeRender-1.jpgIMG_2522.JPGIMG_2525.JPG

Back