1/6 How it is made: DETOLF Death Star diorama

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jazz,

Thanks for tracking down the remote control, that will help out a lot. Just got my adapter in and was finally able to set up my display. Here are a couple quick shots before heading to work.

IMG_1021.JPG

IMG_1022.JPG

IMG_1023.JPG

IMG_1024.JPG

IMG_1025.JPG

IMG_1026.JPG

IMG_1027.JPG

Thanks again.....:hi5:

Will one remote control 2 dioramas, or will you need a remote for each (I ordered the budget ones)?

That depends on how you wire it. If you put the wires from both back walls into one single unit of the screw plugs it will control both at once, and I don't see why that would not work.

Someone asked me today if an RF remote switch/dimmer was an option. Actually, this dimmer and remote switch is compatible with our LED system, so for a $2,39 you can have exactly that: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-12V-RF...hash=item1ebef7d159:m:mE5Kf1TkWiJvRDuVyk6XiHw

Just click it between the black/green screw plug and the power plug and you're golden.

Quick warning about those Remote controls, either the batteries drain really fast from the controller or the receiver loses sensitivity over time because I had two that became awfully unreliable. I would have to press the on button like 20 times from a million different positions to get it to work so in the end I swapped it out for an in-line 12v on/off switch. I have a custom display case so I simply drilled a hole through the back and into the top drawer so the switch is hidden and cut and soldered the cables to the desired length.

Quick warning about those Remote controls, either the batteries drain really fast from the controller or the receiver loses sensitivity over time because I had two that became awfully unreliable. I would have to press the on button like 20 times from a million different positions to get it to work so in the end I swapped it out for an in-line 12v on/off switch. I have a custom display case so I simply drilled a hole through the back and into the top drawer so the switch is hidden and cut and soldered the cables to the desired length.

Funny, I've been using these types for at least a year with no problems.

Just fair warning: we are down to the last 25% of the final batch for this design. If you want one, don't wait too long

Man, I already have a deluxe...but seriously considering a budget version for my Star Wars heroes shelf. Decisions, decisions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Funny, I've been using these types for at least a year with no problems.

Yeah No Problems here as well. I have had the LED strips and remote on/off with no problems.

I also bought a motion detector as well so the cabinet lights up when walking near it.

See here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/MINI-DC5-24V-5A-PIR-Infrared-Motion-Sensor-Detector-LED-Strip-Automatic-Switch/172357362674?_trksid=p2385738.c100677.m4598&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908110712%26meid%3Df1210e3745ef404da1e137bd3294dd2a%26pid%3D100677%26rk%3D14%26rkt%3D47%26sd%3D221575840595

cd70c02836c0de900fd5e26dba0d7a4a.jpg

1e856f86db8b0d177a06189db862c799.jpg

My 2 budget dioramas showed up today! The quality really is top notch and you can tell a lot of work went into these. I'm not as impressed with the lights, however. It's nice that everything is contained and hidden but the lights really don't shine through very evenly. They are really bright around the edges but there are a lot of shadows created for whatever reason (see 1st pic).

I'm not too bothered though because I can easily just add my own custom lights to the back. I was experimenting just to see what would work best and I ended up with a cool sunrise effect (2nd pic).

The lights I got are too yellow looking but I think I'm on the right track. I am running them in circles which gives a more even distribution but I need a few more strands to complete the look. I can understand Jazz using fewer lights to keep the cost down but these walls look so good I think the light needs to be just right also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cd70c02836c0de900fd5e26dba0d7a4a.jpg

1e856f86db8b0d177a06189db862c799.jpg

My 2 budget dioramas showed up today! The quality really is top notch and you can tell a lot of work went into these. I'm not as impressed with the lights, however. It's nice that everything is contained and hidden but the lights really don't shine through very evenly. They are really bright around the edges but there are a lot of shadows created for whatever reason (see 1st pic).

I'm not too bothered though because I can easily just add my own custom lights to the back. I was experimenting just to see what would work best and I ended up with a cool sunrise effect (2nd pic).

The lights I got are too yellow looking but I think I'm on the right track. I am running them in circles which gives a more even distribution but I need a few more strands to complete the look. I can understand Jazz using fewer lights to keep the cost down but these walls look so good I think the light needs to be just right also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually, this has nothing to do with the quality of the lights, because these are the brightest we could find. It is physics that is hampering us here. If you want an even lighting effect, you need a very large light source. However, to achieve this you would have to create a big soft box behind your diorama wall. This would take up half of your shelf space to create this. Just look at the yellow light placed behind your wall. You can still see the shape of the light source clearly. That is why photographers use large umbrellas and soft boxes to smooth out the light. There is just no way physically possible with the limited space we have to create a very even light effect. In the studio, for the movie, they also used large lights with large diffusers to even out the effect.

So, the larger your source, the closer to your subject, the smoother, the light will be:
highres_188355312.jpeg

I'm sure you used quality lights and I don't disagree with what you are saying.

I'm certainly not going to build giant boxes to diffuse the light but I am going to see if many more lights can create a more even effect.

Back