How is 3D printing going to change this hobby?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apparently the faces on the Gentle Giant Sucker Punch statues were digital scaned from the actors, the bodies were still digitally sculpted and put together by an artist, and then the whole thing is 3D printed and made into a statue. Looks like it's already happening, I think this would be a trend for a perfect actor likeness, but alien and fantasy creatures will still need to be completly sculpted, as well as any cartoon stylized characters etc..

here's the link to the Gentle Giant artist showing his work:

https://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?150841-Lawless-2011

someone actually asked him about face scan, and here's his reply:

https://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?150841-Lawless-2011/page5

-

Last edited:
Hi folks,
Just modeled and printed 3D models few month ago.
As I am a bad painter i'am looking for someone who can paint my figures ;)
rendu4.jpg

0gravity3dprint.JPG

0gravity-helmet.jpg

top job, great work sir:clap

The Replicator 2? That's seems to be the best $2000 range printer right now, but next year there's a new printer that can print at 25micron thickness for around the same price (Replicator2 prints at 100micron thickness, top end $50,000+ printers print at 16microns), here's the link:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/formlabs/form-1-an-affordable-professional-3d-printer

I'm gonna wait for some reviews first, but I think this one might be workable.

I built some 3D models that I intend to add to my own collection someday, stuff that Sideshow might never release:

Iron Fist is about 80% complete right now, still need to pose him and build a base:
ironfisttheokan01.jpg

Work in progress, Rocksteady to go with the Sideshow TMNT comiquettes, Bebop will be next:
theokanrocksteady.jpg

-

-

Last edited:
On a somewhat related note, with 3D printing a ham sandwich will probably be more expensive to make than an action figure.

0gravity, does it take long to design in 3d?
Depend the level of details and complexity, and also your skill :lol

For modelling faces i use Makehuman(free) and C4D.
Solidworks for mechanical structures.
Good alternatives are also 3DSmax, zbrush..

Great work all around, particularly your's 0gravity. The printed pieces look brilliant and your wireframes look spotless.

How smooth are your final prints? The (helicopter?) panels look super sharp and crisply detailed and your heads and helmet very smooth, especially after painting.

Re: Make anything you want

No more waiting a year or more to get something.

Bad news for the sculptors and painters though if the results are as good as they appear to be.

I guess the final piece would be how much the cost of printing the sculpt would be. The watch was only about $3 so I wouldn't imagine it to be too extreme. Then there's all those nonexistant 1:6 weapons and accessories.....

Could be a decent investment.

Re: Make anything you want

This is amazing. This opens the sky to how limitless people's collections would be. And at the same time scares me... I would run out of room so fast. My Jabba display would be over run like the movie set....
I like the idea, I just hope this doesn't threaten Hot Toys or SSC in any way... Internet killed stores, Ipod's killed CD's, let's hope digital scanning doesn't kill the art of hand sculpts.

Cait wait to see Enterbay Bill's posts about how much cheaper this makes production for him, while he simultaneously puts the savings in his own bank account and puts the price up for the consumer again. :D

Last edited:
Holy crap! Less than an hour to sculpt something that accurate?! Who needs sculptors? That is some amazing work! I will use this service as soon as it becomes available here in Canada! We better take advantage of this now before all the copyright BS starts!

3D printing, the future of statue's?

With 3D printing starting to become more and more affordable and probably one day, not too distant in the future, becoming wide spread I'm wondering how that will impact the statue/figure collecting business.

It's possible that you will just be able to share any digital design you like , pop it in the printer and you'll have you're new Batman PF before lunch.

What are peoples predictions and thoughts on this? I've never seen it discussed but when the 3D printing talk surfaced the first thing I thought of was making my own statue's.

Re: 3D printing, the future of statue's?

There's already a thread for this someplace. Until I can dig it up so a mod can merge the threads though, I'd have to say that 3D printing will only be good for statue kits in the medium term, 'cause the colour technology hasn't caught up yet. We're getting a 3D printer in our department next month, I'm pretty excited about churning out some dolly accessories :)

Edit: here it is:

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/...-3D-printing-going-to-change-this-hobby/page5

Back