How is 3D printing going to change this hobby?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's hard to say, there's no printers out there that produce things in the quality that we would want in a figure, even if you get the highest quality printer you may get a smooth high-detail print but it's not going to be in a material that you want. Like for instance the high detail stuff can end up being in a wax type material or a fragile plastic. For color printed stuff it's even worse because those prints have a low detail and they're even more fragile and the color quality isn't very good in the first place. We'll see when we get printers that can do the quality we want, but at the moment we're still waiting for a low-quality printer that's more consumer ready. The options are for either a DIY kit which is low-cost but a bad option for most people, or for a fully assembled printer which is more expensive and can still have issues. There's no really realiable printer that's easy to use

Very Interesting Topic. I'm watching 3D printers closely since I first found out about them. The good news is that they are becoming cheaper and quality is improving. We are still some time off "acceptable" output but I see it as a positive to our hobby.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

The potential for this is scary awesome.
I'm really looking forward to this tech being in my home.

I wonder what everyone will complain about though.

"That head sculpt....it's....it's.....perfect" - "Wait a minute but the base, what with the.........damn it's perfect"

It's hard to say, there's no printers out there that produce things in the quality that we would want in a figure, even if you get the highest quality printer you may get a smooth high-detail print but it's not going to be in a material that you want. Like for instance the high detail stuff can end up being in a wax type material or a fragile plastic. For color printed stuff it's even worse because those prints have a low detail and they're even more fragile and the color quality isn't very good in the first place. We'll see when we get printers that can do the quality we want, but at the moment we're still waiting for a low-quality printer that's more consumer ready. The options are for either a DIY kit which is low-cost but a bad option for most people, or for a fully assembled printer which is more expensive and can still have issues. There's no really realiable printer that's easy to use

yeah the quality is not really the best. I've seen some stuff, it wasn't really that great

Back