How is 3D printing going to change this hobby?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DFanatic

Super Freak
Reaction score
Not sure if you guys have been following the latest developments but 3D printing is getting really big right now, so much so that companies are already working on home versions of 3D printers and you can already find things out there for under a grand. It won't be long until there are affordable printers out there. Now, I wonder where that is going to take this hobby. People will have the ability to print any object they want. I'm talking a gun, a helmet... heck a whole figure! People will be able to share their files with other users. It really blows my mind when I think of it.

Here's a good video about it. Look at the 1/4 scale Iron Man and 1:1 Iron Man gauntlet that was printed (at 1:50)

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEKns8T7yUA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEKns8T7yUA[/ame]

I wonder what companies will do in the respect of people printing their own unlicensed versions of movie, tv and comic characters.

Sure is interesting. I can see in a few years time people showing of their 3D action figures on here. Heck the price of 3 or 4 Hot Toys and I can get my own 3D printer.

I see some amazing head sculpts in our future.

Digital model -> 3D printer -> my dolls (uh, I mean action figures).

For me it all depends on how tough this resin is. I wish we could see someone bend it so show how much it can take before it snaps. I'm also not a painter so i appreciate the paint apps but it's definitely going to make an impact.

For me it all depends on how tough this resin is. I wish we could see someone bend it so show how much it can take before it snaps.

Really tough (if you so desire, that are a variety of materials). Check out this video. They replicate a wrench and it works just as well as the real one. Right at 3:33 :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aghzpO_UZE

I have access to the 3D printer and have given some thought to the production of heads.

Designed Itself!!!! :horror

Skynet has become self aware!!! OMFG :panic:

:lol Looks pretty cool, this tech can come in handy for so many things its hard to start thinking about it, werid how the computer designed a that ugly skeletal house, not sure I would put a computer in charge of that project but cool non the less.

It's going to change it as much as 3D scanning helped Gentle Giant and Jakks Pacific created ultra realistic mini busts and wrestlers, respectively.

WGP, CREG, bbkill and all the others can tell you it's not as easy as it would appear.

Printers are doing amazing things but heads don't generate themselves. Without the skill of the artisan, a printer is just a paperweight .

What kind of quality do these enthusiast/hobbyist-level 3d printers output in terms of scaled headsculpts? I googled a bit, but the texture quality seems a bit lacking, or downright odd.

The prospect is interesting though, but pricey.

Looks like Darkman finally succeeded in making his machine produce things that last longer then 99 mins in the light. Congrats !!!

tumblr_mc2ircjelH1qefw9yo1_1280.jpg

Well... it would be pretty awesome if one day companies like Hot Toys were just scanning actors heads and then printing perfect 1/6 replicas of them. I mean, there is always a place for artists, but what do people want more, an artists interpretation, or a perfect replica?

Printers are doing amazing things but heads don't generate themselves. Without the skill of the artisan, a printer is just a paperweight .

When you can scan an actors head from the source and print it exactly down to scale, why would you need the middle man of an imperfect artist to interpret and sculpt it. I am not saying you're wrong just playing devils advocate.

Perfect replicas of the actors exact likeness... It will be amazing. I'll feel bad for the sculptors though. There days are numbered :monkey3

Back