How deep will Hot Toys go into Star Wars, especially the OT?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Day

Super Freak
Reaction score
I've seen people say that Hot Toys don't make peripheral characters from properties, but given how the OT figures have sold, surely they'd be silly not to make everything they could? I'm sure they could have sold many more of the OT figures than they did, and the range includes figures like Obi-Wan and Leia which appeal more to completists than people who just want a few iconic Star Wars characters on their shelves - so there must be more completists than they thought there would be.

That makes me think minor characters would sell well enough to be worthwhile, especially ones where parts could be reused, which has been their model with the troopers. Lots of droids can be partly or wholly reused, same with aliens who were men in suits with similar kind of outfits. How hard could Walrusman be to make? They've got time on their side too, Star Wars will be massive for five years.

I was going to pick up a Sideshow Tusken Raider and a Greedo but I don't think I'm going to bother paying the aftermarket. I feel reasonably confident we'll see be me eventually from HT and more. Would be interested to hear what others think.

Hot Toys makes plenty of peripheral characters. Look are all the insane variants of Iron Man they've made. I don't even remember that many Iron Man suits from the movies.

Also - it's a bit insulting to classify Leia as a peripheral character. She's one of the leads, and she's definitely iconic.

Wow...... your entire post is just laughable.

You lost all credibility when you said Leia and Obi-Wan aren't iconic characters.

Then going on to imply that since they were made, Walrusman, Greedo, Tusken Raider will be made.

Is there an alternate SW Universe that I'm not privy of where Leia and Obi-Wan are relegated to being secondary characters and not considered iconic?

*reads thread title* *begins to think*

3686514-6753551396-tumbl.gif

I've seen people say that Hot Toys don't make peripheral characters from properties, but given how the OT figures have sold, surely they'd be silly not to make everything they could? I'm sure they could have sold many more of the OT figures than they did

giphy.gif

and the range includes figures like Obi-Wan and Leia which appeal more to completists than people who just want a few iconic Star Wars characters on their shelves - so there must be more completists than they thought there would be.

Shocked-CM-Punk.gif

That makes me think minor characters would sell well enough to be worthwhile, especially ones where parts could be reused, which has been their model with the troopers. Lots of droids can be partly or wholly reused, same with aliens who were men in suits with similar kind of outfits. How hard could Walrusman be to make? They've got time on their side too, Star Wars will be massive for five years.
walrusman? only five years?

hK03G.gif

I was going to pick up a Sideshow Tusken Raider and a Greedo but I don't think I'm going to bother paying the aftermarket. I feel reasonably confident we'll see be me eventually from HT and more. Would be interested to hear what others think.

tumblr_mqxeggWXkW1rawzgvo1_400.gif

"Minor" Leia and Obi-Wan aside. I'd at least like to see HT produce the main OT cast with 2-3 versions per (counting what's already done).
Luke -- Jedi, Degobah training
Leia -- Bespin, Slave (seriously, c'mon there are Barbies with skimpier outfits)
Han -- Bespin
Lando -- Bespin, Skiff
Vader -- RotJ reveal
Yoda (gotta get a hut environment before they get more expensive)
Emperor -- RotJ with light-up throne
PLUS
Royal Guard

Then would also like to see them start sprinkling in PT characters.

"Minor" Leia and Obi-Wan aside. I'd at least like to see HT produce the main OT cast with 2-3 versions per (counting what's already done).
Leia -- Bespin, Slave (seriously, c'mon there are Barbies with skimpier outfits)
Han -- Bespin
Lando -- Bespin, Skiff
Vader -- RotJ reveal
PLUS
Royal Guard

Love all of your choices, I would add Lando in his General uniform from ROTJ
Rebel fleet trooper
Hoth Rebels (well the stormies need someone to shoot at)
Snow trooper
General Veers

The list could be endless.

Lotsa effort for some pretty douchie responses. Is Leia iconic? Sure. However, if anyone was told to pick 1 or 2 figures to represent Star Wars, Leia would hardly be picked and Kenobi, less so. A majority are picking Luke or Vader, Stormtroopers, Han Chewie, or even the droids. Leia and Kenobi are part of the bigger collection no doubt, but Leia is not the 1 Star Wars figure you have in collection.

That being said, HT has yet to venture into many "2nd tier" characters. A 1 second Iron Man suit is still Iron Man. They never finished Platoon or Watchmen. For the DK trilogy, we got a bunch of re-do Jokers, but no Ras. The 60's B&R has no Joker or Riddler. SW may prove to be a different animal, but it would be the first. And as you found out with the snarky responses, one mans background character is another mans must have. It subjective and they only have so many resources. Are they going to make a Tusken, or start ESB, Jedi, or anything PT main characters. I personally doubt we'll see Hammerhead or Greedo from HT. I don't believe we'll see the award ceremony outfits even though they are the main characters. One can hope though.

If you like a piece and it is available why wait? I have 4 Tusken Raiders and would never sell them for a HT. I don't know how it could be improved that much (outside of body swap which I did for mine) to buy another one. If you like a piece buy and enjoy now. If HT makes the figure then sell yours immediately. You will not loose that much on it and can wait a year to upgrade.

I would rather have a figure I like now in my collection rather than wait and hope something that may or may not ever get made to come along.

I'm really taken aback by how angry I seem to have made some people. I didn't say Obi-wan and Leia weren't iconic, just that if people weren't in for the whole range my unscientific guess is that they might pick other characters. I love Ben and Leia as characters, own Ben and will be buying Leia. When I was a kid I would have bought them too - after buying everything else.

I'm a bit dazed by that post with all the gifs in it. I'm sorry if that's how I came across.

Veers (yep)
Forgot about Tarkin
Would also be great to see a haired Wampa, but highly unlikely

Wedge 50/50
Porkins 50/50

Now if you want to talk about minor characters I would not get, Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru.

Han -- Bespin
Lando -- Bespin, Skiff
Vader -- RotJ reveal
PLUS
Royal Guard

I like these choices also.

I'm really taken aback by how angry I seem to have made some people. I didn't say Obi-wan and Leia weren't iconic, just that if people weren't in for the whole range my unscientific guess is that they might pick other characters. I love Ben and Leia as characters, own Ben and will be buying Leia. When I was a kid I would have bought them too - after buying everything else.

I'm a bit dazed by that post with all the gifs in it. I'm sorry if that's how I came across.

No worries, mine was just meant in jest. :duff

I do know what you mean though. If one were to get 2-5 figures to represent SW, Obi-Wan and Leia may not be included in that for some. More Obi-Wan than Leia though.

It's hard to say. Isn't SW much more popular in the West than it is in Asia? If Howard weren't such a fan, I doubt we'd get as many OT figures as we already have.

That being said, I wouldn't mind a 3PO, an R2, at least one each of Han, Luke and Leia from ESB, an ESB Vader, Fett and Chewie, a Lando, a Yoda, an Emperor and a Jedi Luke. And an Ewok. There, I said it. :monkey1

Back