Hot Tyos as an Investment - Useful or Not?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes you can make a profit, but only if you buy the figure second hand for really cheap. I bought a DX08 for 150 in perfect shape and sold it for 190. Still a good deal for the buyer.
However, I don't buy them to make profit. You can still find some limited release figs like Avenger MKVI that may increase in value, but a lot of people won't bite unless they see something really worth it.
Remember it's not what it's worth instead it's what someone is willing to pay. You can pretty much tell the flippers on this site. They post for sale and ask insane prices for figs and they never sell and the seller never gets wise about their prices.
Just buy what you like and sell when you're done. I always try and give buyers a good deal because these figs are like cars, they depreciate once driven off the lot.
The trading and all that stuff is part of the fun as well. I enjoy the chase as much as the collecting.

I have nothing against scalpers and flippers. If someone took the initiative to pick something up before others and then sell it to the desperate, that is what happens in a free market. I have scalped and flipped in my day and so have many other posters here so tone down the self righteous soap boxing.

Right there with you man. I've flipped a total of 4 figures...I ended up buying 2 Toys Fair Batman Begins Figure and 2 Iron Man Mark VI's (the promo editions) and sold them for a nice profit-espically the Iron Man's. I kinda regret selling one of my Batman's but oh well. If they are worth $400 to someone and only worth $200 to you...why not sell and make a nice profit? Everyone wins, you make some money and the buyer get's the rare figure he wants brand new. That's what gives these figures collectible value...

I read the post and i think the OP is just a first time collector that wants to buy a Captain America figure.

One that obviously can't really afford it (comfortably).... buying one will be stretching it thin for him. He just wants some support or insurance just in case he buys it and REALLY can't afford it, he can sell it at the last minute, hopefully with a profit.

A one bird two stones kinda guy.

No. Too slow in appreciation.

I have other 'collectibles' I sell on the side which is much more viable; the few 1/6th stuff I bought from last year was essentially free.

Toys can be in investment. My true life story - I collect MEGO figures since 1986, and around 1999, I was in some very bad financial situation because of a big client of mine went bankrupt and owed me lots of money, crippling my cash flow. I ended up selling part of my MEGO collection and helped me survived 4 months of my worst time of my life. So, yes, toys can save lives in my case.

However, I never see the modern toys being in a similar situation. Nowadays, the mass produce these figures, the price is way higher to begin with, and everyone has a copy of it stashed away mint in mint box! It is not that hard to find a good specimen of any action figures produced after year 2000. And the price of Hot Toys are quite high to begin with, that putting the money down for a $200-$250 figure just as an "investment" is already not a wise decision. And there seems to always be a newer version down the road on all the characters they are making. How many Iron Mans and Batmans have they made so far? One might argue that the old ones still hold their value, but can you easily find a buyer on the first batman when there is the DX12 out there is the big question.

Toys should be toys. They are nice to have, but if one has to starve in order to buy them, then that person has their priority of life messed up (I know a few like that, unfortunately).

plenty of people invest in Lego, just gotta pick the right ones.

theres risk in any investment.

Very similar with Hot Toys. If you know which ones to go after and are willing to hold on to them for a little while. You'll see the value go up. I've bought pieces in the past that I didn't expect much of them only to see their value skyrocket later on.

The Godfather is a good example of that. At one point I saw a few go for $800

The Biohazard figures shot up as well.

And now even Two-Face is commanding a hefty price.

And the demand was so high for Origins Wolverine that people were making counterfeits.

Be very careful with hot toys. Follow these rules and you can make them into "investments".

1. Buy figures with a popular following (look on the forums and see how many thread pages a particular figure generated).

2. Use sideshow's waiting list program...if a figure hits the waiting list from PO, then BUY BUY BUY (buy this figure either on the forums or put yourself on their waiting list asap!

3. Do not keep a popular license for more than 1 year after selling out. (version 2.0, reissues, etc etc that will drop the resale value like a rock).

4. If you have a not so popular figure..you can save it for the long term(as in 5-6 years)..but make sure the figure DOES NOT HAVE A RUBBER BODY(due to deterioration).

5. Always get the sideshow exclusive version of the figure (these figures as a whole are just more rare).

Honestly, HT or plastic toys are just not good investments due to advancements in technology. The headscuplts and features you see today will become better 5 years from now..who knows..we may even get a flying Ironman in 10 years.

Now, if HT ever goes out of business and no other companies fill the void, then your HT figures can potentially be worth thousands/figure.

Last edited:
Let me put it this way...

Do you know the edition size?

If you don't even know something as basic as that, you are investing blind, on nothing but a wing and a prayer, and it's the best way to lose money there is.

Buy what you love. What you are happy to display, and proud to own. You can never lose that way.

And the demand was so high for Origins Wolverine that people were making counterfeits.

I don't think they were counterfeits. They had everything down to the dessicant baggies. I strongly suspect they were test runs from a factory/outsourced manufacturer that were never used, but also not destroyed, and someone got their hands on them.

If you want to try HT investing buy figures that are one time only licenses...not much of those anymore...
look at the prices for:
Terminator Salvation figures
Bank Robber Joker
Resident Evil video game figures
Batman Toys Fair
Godfather
and more...

Not too long ago before DX11 and Dx12, DX01 Joker and Dx02 Batman were fetching, easily, on Ebay $500-600 each.

So if you can get the right figure and sell it in the right time frame you are going to make $$$$$

It's not a guarantee of any kind...you risk money in most investments.

Toys are not a great investment. This has been discussed many times before. This is not the investment you are looking for. Move along.

Back