Hot Tyos as an Investment - Useful or Not?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
on most figures you'll get what you paid for back, but these are toys not investments and their treated as such.

I would not feel a clay doll is worth any investment or long term investment. Investment is a big word in a niche hobby. I believe 9 out of 10 people have no idea what a Hot Toys is or even cares if its not a tangible Toys R US purchase. Factor in custom figures and awesone kitbash suits and accessories for specialty figures that Hot Toys doesnt make and the dollar value goes down. So no investment with any real profits over a long term plan. Reissue is an ugly word in this hobby especially from an investment point of view.

The average consumer interested would probably not buy the DX02 on ebay whereas they would buy the new DX12 Dark Knight purely for the lower price. Most people take it for place value Batman is Batman...etc It would make more sense to sell the old figure to fund the new figure albeit throwing the whole idea of fiscal investment out the door LOL

Last edited:
Hot Toys Investment - No
Sideshow Investment - No
PCS Investment- Yes (for now)

Days of flipping is over.

For your first question, I agree with everyone that buying it just to sell it later might not be profitable for you. You say you really like Cap, so I say buy it for yourself, but you may not make a profit if you decide to sell it later.

For your second question, I usually buy off ebay if I can't find a figure anywhere else, or if other retailers are pricing the figure much higher than what it is on ebay. Just look for the sellers with the best feedback score while you are searching for the best price. In my case, all my ebay transactions for Hot Toys figures went smoothly, and all the sellers had 98-100% feedback ratings, and they had many transactions over several years.

And welcome to the forums! I'm pretty new here myself (though I've been visiting for several years now). There are many people here to help you with any questions you have! :)

No offense, but you're asking collectors if its ok to be a scalper or flipper.

If you initially collected them because you loved them and then decided to get out of the hobby or need to sell them for financial reasons, that would be different.

Otherwise, GTFO! :thwak :wave

Being a collector I hope my stuff goes up in value. I dont buy these as toys, like a child. Although I do display my "collection".

I think Hot Toys is a good investment. Once its sold out you should make atleast $50 profit. Its still a gamble, and its not going to make you a millionaire.

"limited" anything is always a decent return investment as long as the demand stays. that's said; you shouldn't be buying into these things expecting a return, it is very much a "one day value, next day none" market

Although I agree that you won't get rich off of HT figures, I find that you can usually at least get your money back, which is really nice when you consider other hobbies resale (cars, video games, sporting equipment) don't really offer that. I have re-sold a few figures due to a declining interest (and the desire to re-purpose their value towards a new, more desirable figure) and made a tidy little gain on them (even Chris Taylor, who I was sure I was going to lose money on, ended up netting me about 25 bucks over what I paid for him on eBay.)

Also, some figures really do appreciate in value quickly. I purchased Hawkeye for about $185 shipped in October, and there is one on eBay right now at $255 plus shipping with 5 days left! Again, you aren't going to make a living off of it, and I really don't recommend trying to do this hobby for profit, but I do find that collecting Hot Toys figures is rarely a losing venture.

No offense, but you're asking collectors if its ok to be a scalper or flipper.

If you initially collected them because you loved them and then decided to get out of the hobby or need to sell them for financial reasons, that would be different.

Otherwise, GTFO! :thwak :wave

I have nothing against scalpers and flippers. If someone took the initiative to pick something up before others and then sell it to the desperate, that is what happens in a free market. I have scalped and flipped in my day and so have many other posters here so tone down the self righteous soap boxing.

Buy at least 60 or 70 units of each figure, so you'll be sure to make a huge return on your "investment." :lol

I say buy the toys because you like them not because they may be valuable some day. Besides, value to me is how much I like a character and not what a market seller will price it on eBay. :wink1:

I have nothing against scalpers and flippers. If someone took the initiative to pick something up before others and then sell it to the desperate, that is what happens in a free market. I have scalped and flipped in my day and so have many other posters here so tone down the self righteous soap boxing.

Just because you've done it doesn't make it ok. And my statement was CLEARLY directed to the creator of this thread. Not any COLLECTOR who flipped a figure or 2.

Sensative much?

And this is a discussion forum. I'm on no soap box, just voicing my opinion. Just like you voiced yours. You don't have to like it.

If the collectible is fantastic and you have your heart set on getting him and keeping it but you know it might go up in price then get 2 of them. There's nothing wrong with that .

Back