Hot Toys - X-Men Days of Future Past?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was also going to write down Mystique along with Fassbender, but I thought HT might rather work on simpler figures if they want to make more X-men movie figures other than Wolverine. But I'd be up for either Romijn or Lawrence Mystique as long as the body would not look like a blue Phicen figure :lol

:lol

I was hoping for a HT figure of Mystique in her X uniform.

images

I'm a little surprised this might be happening. Doesn't Marvel control the license for the toys (as opposed to Fox)? I just read where Marvel is doing everything they can to not support Fox to the extent that they're killing off the Fantastic Four comic next year and they'll continue to not put out toys (at least through Hasbro) for the future X-Men & Fantastic Four movies. Oh, and there's rumors they may do away with the Deadpool comic book as well. But, perhaps 1/6 scale, high-end figures is a whole other ballpark :huh

It's all rumour. I wouldn't put much in it until there is actual proof and not speculation.

Howard Chan has come out and said why there has been delay in the X-Men license and that is because Hot Toys has to get the OK from every actor individually on the likeness, clearly Hugh is one who is easy to get ahold of and that is no surprise considering how much he loves the character of Wolverine. I believe that FOX didn't sign the likeness for merch into the contracts of the X-Men cast post the first few films so that is why Hot Toys has to find the rights of their own accord.

It's all rumour. I wouldn't put much in it until there is actual proof and not speculation.

Howard Chan has come out and said why there has been delay in the X-Men license and that is because Hot Toys has to get the OK from every actor individually on the likeness, clearly Hugh is one who is easy to get ahold of and that is no surprise considering how much he loves the character of Wolverine. I believe that FOX didn't sign the likeness for merch into the contracts of the X-Men cast post the first few films so that is why Hot Toys has to find the rights of their own accord.

He did say that several of the actors have given them consent, they’re in the preproduction stage I’m assuming, I think we’ll see at least 3 figures from DOFP.

Last edited:
He did say that several of the actors has given them consent, they’re in the preproduction stage I’m assuming, I think we’ll see at least 3 figures from DOFP.

He did indeed, which just lends to me thinking it's FOX that ballsed up regarding merch rather than Marvel being this 'big bad' they are being painted out to be. Hence why we can see things like minimates that don't really require actor likeness rights.

I think what it comes down to if the actors, clearly Hugh Jackman is down for it, along with James McAvoy. Who could the others be? I feel that Ian Mckellan and Patrick Stewart would both agree as they aren't unfamiliar to having their faces plastered on an action figure, however if they want to focus on the newer cast then having these OK figures doesn't help.

I think Fassbender is being a problem and either being hard to contact or declined to approve his likeness, I say this mainly because of the 'failed' Prometheus line. His refusal does give us an explanation as to why we didn't see a follow up X-Men: First Class figure to the Xavier prototype and also why the Prometheus line hasn't been heard of for a good year.

Based on what is happening with this movie what do you think are our chances of getting any figures for Fantastic Four assuming of course that they are worth it ?

I'm a little surprised this might be happening. Doesn't Marvel control the license for the toys (as opposed to Fox)? I just read where Marvel is doing everything they can to not support Fox to the extent that they're killing off the Fantastic Four comic next year and they'll continue to not put out toys (at least through Hasbro) for the future X-Men & Fantastic Four movies. Oh, and there's rumors they may do away with the Deadpool comic book as well. But, perhaps 1/6 scale, high-end figures is a whole other ballpark :huh

The latest update on that rumor, is that while Marvel can easily cancel FF comic, they can't do the same with any of the X-titles as they are selling very well. So maybe they'll just keep doing the movie merchandise freeze as far as the X-men movies are concerned (if that's true and is in effect beginning with DOFP, anyway). I also noticed that they don't do with their X-titles what they're gradually doing with their other books now, which is incorporating in the main comic universe some elements of the movie universe, like Coulson, the African-American Nick Fury, etc.

The good news, however, is the rumor that Sony and Marvel might make a deal so that Spidey and the characters Marvel Studios own in their cinematic universe can do crossover appearances :)

The Prometheus rights and the xmen rights are not the same deal. In the "industry", what is going on with marvel is almost unprecedented.

Fox gets no money from xmen merchandise. They co promote with marvel for the film(posters, cereal boxes ect) but actual merchandise they get no profit, so in the contracts they(fox) did with all the actors for marvel films (starting in 2007ish when marvel started it's own studio) they do not negotiate for likeness rights on merchandise. Which outside of this marvel situation and any films that the studio does not think will get merchandise which is rare and never a tent pole or blockbuster type, this never happens. And that's due to the studio making the film not being able to make the merch or profit from it's license. With Prometheus they had a merch clause in all the actors contracts. Including fassbender. That line not coming out has zero to do with him, and nothing in common with the Xmen/marvel situation. Other then hot toys.

I believe, someone correct me if I'm wrong, that Marvel is just not supporting anything FF. X-Men & Spider-Man are money makers for Marvel so they'll continue to support them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back