Hot Toys Unmasked 'Murphy' Robocop Teaser

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't expect everyone to understand or applaud my way of collecting but there it is. HT approach on Robocop is compatible with what I do. I will forego other stuff so as to buy all of these figures. Resistance is futile.

Peoples complaints have been contradictory. On the one hand saying that HT should include all these different swap out plates and on the other complaining about gimmickry.

But lets say it could be done - personally I would have been buying more than one anyway to set up each version seperately - thusly I don't care that they're making them as seperate figures. Instead of buying one figure 2 or 3 times I'll be buying 3 different releases once each :dunno Now, I appreciate that thats just me. What HT have done suits me. I'd prefer if they were cheaper but that is all.

Completely agree , I would rather buy 3 different figures or decide on whichever suits me best then buy the same release 3 times. :goodpost::exactly:

I would pay the $300 price tag for this. I will not pay $600 for two versions (I don't like two versions of a character in my display). Can I afford $600? YES! But $600 is ridiculous for two of the same character.

I was hoping that I would get away with just one version of RoboCop as well...

If I bought one, it'd just be the clean version. If these were $200, I might be tempted to get both, but it's just not so anymore. Gotta pick the one that suits yourself the best or not buy any since $300 for an action figure is pretty crazy anyhow.

I was hoping that I would get away with just one version of RoboCop as well...

I understand this particular frustration people have. Most people aren't like me, they only want the option of sometimes changing their one figure from one look to another. Whereas I am obsessive enough to want each look displayed simultaneously hence buying multiple figures no matter what way HT releases them.

I don't expect everyone to understand or applaud my way of collecting but there it is. HT approach on Robocop is compatible with what I do. I will forego other stuff so as to buy all of these figures. Resistance is futile.

I understand this particular frustration people have. Most people aren't like me, they only want the option of sometimes changing their one figure from one look to another. Whereas I am obsessive enough to want each look displayed simultaneously hence buying multiple figures no matter what way HT releases them.

:goodpost::exactly:

I don't mind having several versions of one figure. I'm just a little bit bummed that I'll have to fork out another 300 dollars plus. :lol I don't have to, no one is forcing me.. but I know I will want that unmasked version. Hot Toys could have easily saved me another 300 by including a clean/non-battle damage unmasked HS version with it. Or at least with the chair which would have been somewhat more fitting.

So are you gonna keep trolling this thread with the same one response that you like having 10 versions of each character. I commend you on your disposable income. Be Well. Move On

:mad:

I think people are disappointed because they thought there wouldn't be another version. And that the lack of an unmasked headsculpt was an indication that it wouldn't happen (crazy idea, right..? not.) and that the rumor of Weller not wanting to give out his likeness was true. I don't think anyone expected Hot Toys to milk RoboCop out of all licenses.

I still think they should include a clean unmasked HS version with the diecast figures and let the second version just be a completely BD figure.

:exactly::exactly::exactly:

Completely agree , I would rather buy 3 different figures or decide on whichever suits me best then buy the same release 3 times. :goodpost::exactly:

This makes sense, but I think part of the problem is that we don't know what the different releases are until after the fact. Hot Toys releases one figure which we think is awesome. Then, after it's sold out, or a ton of people of ordered it, they decide to announce a 2nd figure (the timing is very convenient to an increase in revenue for Hot Toys while screwing their customers over). So we as collectors don't even have an opportunity to decide which suits us best without having to scramble to try to sell something we already ordered (that now everyone is trying to sell) for fear that it would sell out if we didn't order it.

So are you gonna keep trolling this thread with the same one response that you like having 10 versions of each character. I commend you on your disposable income. Be Well. Move On

:mad:

Trolling? By being enthusiastic and not complaining about these HT figures? Thats a new one.

If you took my posts as a way of me boasting about my disposable income that was far from my intention. In fact I thought I was heading off such an interpretation by saying that I'd be resisting other figures elsewhere to attempt to compensate. Other people spend as much money as I do by buying figures from every license that HT has.

Other points of concern:
- Have any of us actually had a die-cast Hot Toys figure? No? So longevity is an issue. Imagine coming home to a corroded $300+ figure.
- Will it have the same posability as the non die-cast ones? Or will it have heavier top which makes the figure drop easily?
- Along the same line as the my first point, what about paint chipping?

So buying one is a gamble and they reveal a different variant after we've PO'd the first one, am I wrong to feel cheated? And I'm not one to cancel orders, btw.

Only speaking for myself, but "cheated" seems too strong. The new version is likely to be a completely different, battle-damaged from head-to-toe look with the Murphy sculpt and not just a do-over of this release. In regards to the timing, from what I've seen, most people did not pay a NRD and Sideshow will let you cancel once without applying it, so long as you ask at the time. So that should take care of that issue for most people, supposing that they're no longer interested in this release because of the Weller HS.

Totally get the concerns over the die-cast, though, and we are kinda guinea pigs in terms of the long term QC. That does worry me a bit, for sure.

So buying one is a gamble and they reveal a different variant after we've PO'd the first one, am I wrong to feel cheated? And I'm not one to cancel orders, btw.
Come on, who honestly thought MMS202 was going to be the last Robocop figure Hot Toys ever produced?

Last edited:
4824091180_10139c0cbd.jpg

Swap the parts:
DSCN1371.jpg
Yeah, looks great. :)

However, how would they get around the gun compartment in RoboCop's leg with swap out BD parts? That's my immediate concern with that idea.

An all in one RoboCop would've been ideal - given the right attention, but I don't want die-cast or sounds, so whether it would've been like that or not, had they done an all in one.. who knows.

I'm personally glad they're doing multiple versions - & I'm sure there's more than a few folks out there, that would like a specific version - whether one or the other. Hopefully the second RoboMurphy version will be minus the gimmicks & have a nicer looking display base - then I'll be pretty happy. :)

Why are there concerns with Diecast and long term QC? People are talking about it like its some new mysterious way of making things.:lol

Last edited:
Why are there concerns with Diecast and long term QC? People are talking about it like its some new mysterious way of making things.:lol

You obviously don't hang out in well known diecast forums. Otherwise you wouldn't have said this. Paint bubbles have appeared half a year or so down the line with high end cars, paint chipping and/or cracking amongst other things. Not all but it has happened a lot.

Trolling? By being enthusiastic and not complaining about these HT figures? Thats a new one.

If you took my posts as a way of me boasting about my disposable income that was far from my intention. In fact I thought I was heading off such an interpretation by saying that I'd be resisting other figures elsewhere to attempt to compensate. Other people spend as much money as I do by buying figures from every license that HT has.

It's amazing to me how many people interpret a differing opinion as "trolling." A different opinion isn't always trolling, but I guess some people feel that way if they're unable to entertain anyone's opinion except their own.

Entitlement issues? unlike totally adversarial posts like yours designed with the sole purpose of ticking people off. People are upset because Hot Toys could've waited and then revealed all their versions and not let everyone think that there would be no version with a head sculpt . It was the sole critcism of all the past versions, and for them to pull this crap is downright Sh@@ty of them

:pfft::pfft:

I disagree with your opinion that my posts are adversarial. You probably think any differing opinion is adversarial, though, and because I'm thoroughly convinced of this, there's no further two-way discussion required between us. Added to my ignore list. I'd encourage others to do the same with people who they just feel like they're spinning their wheels with.

Last edited:
It's amazing to me how many people interpret a differing opinion as "trolling." A different opinion isn't always trolling, but I guess some people feel that way if they're unable to entertain anyone's opinion except their own.

You mean like the one thats used a lot here as well, jealous hater?

I read something interesting on IMDB over the weekend that reminded me of this place that I saved.

The jealousy line is getting old, and in danger of becoming a stock cliche - that is, something that's not necessarily completely inaccurate, but still something that's being used lazily to bat down any critical/negative point of view.

Exactly. The "jealously" line is so trite and inaccurate.

Back