Hot Toys Unmasked 'Murphy' Robocop Teaser

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's what I've been saying all along. No way they're gonna include everything the 1st version had.. they want people to buy both versions.

Whoa... waitaminute....

The guy in Thinner was the same guy who played Robo in 3?

Seriously though, this is the same thing that happened when the DX13 was shown. People got all upset because DX10 was just put up for PO. The thing is, if this one is the full on Battle Damaged Murphy, then there's no way they could've had all the battle damaged parts be swappable and still have the figure look decent. So they were going to make more than one figure, regardless. Either buy the clean Robocop, which is the iconic look, or get the Battle Damaged one with the Weller sculpt, or buy both.

I feel the amount of people who would want a clean Robo with the Weller head would be in the minority, and those people would probably buy more than one figure anyway.

Agreed, Dracula and RyanSD. As someone getting the clean version, I really don't care if Weller's sculpt is included or not (I'd prefer excluded if inclusion would mean bumping-up the price).

The second release with Weller's likeness will be a super battle-damaged version amounting to a completely new figure, casting-wise, I'm sure. People should be happy that they have the luxury of picking their favourite or buying both.

Whoa... waitaminute....

The guy in Thinner was the same guy who played Robo in 3?

Seriously though, this is the same thing that happened when the DX13 was shown. People got all upset because DX10 was just put up for PO. The thing is, if this one is the full on Battle Damaged Murphy, then there's no way they could've had all the battle damaged parts be swappable and still have the figure look decent. So they were going to make more than one figure, regardless. Either buy the clean Robocop, which is the iconic look, or get the Battle Damaged one with the Weller sculpt, or buy both.

I feel the amount of people who would want a clean Robo with the Weller head would be in the minority, and those people would probably buy more than one figure anyway.

I just realized the other day that the dirty cop in dexter is Murphy :lol

Weller will always own a little corner of my heart because Robocop and Buckaroo Banzai came along at a very impressionable age for me! :lol

Saw him in person (and Lithgow) at a screening of Buckaroo Banzai in NYC last year. 100% awesome.

I think my nerd rage has subsided... I don't care, they always get the eyes wrong anyways and you can't exactly hide it with sunglasses like the Tony Stark sculpt,

I just hope the BD Robo is far off in case I want it(I know I will, unless it's Robocop 2, don't like the paint)... Arkham and Batman Returns are my only real must haves after the first Robo figure. :)

I can understand the idea of HT economizing, by making a "one size fits all" release - but that would hardly be an accurate figure in the end. Folks want movie accurate figures, but also want economy. :lol

At first I wanted the Murphy sculpt included too, but yeah - like the MMS117 & DX13 Arnolds, there's more than enough justification for two versions - the film speaks for itself!!! :lol

Now whether I can afford both RoboCop figures is another story.. but with the gimmicks on the current figure not appealing to me - plus that ugly base, hopefully Act3 RoboMurphy is going to be a great version to own. :cool:

As far as I'm concerned, it's GOOD they're doing separate figures. Each version can have it's own appropriate attention to detail etc, resulting in a far better outcome. :)

img0287i.jpg

The BD looked decent on this one but like the BD mk 7 i think pulls off the look better because they can paint it fully damaged. I think that was the orignal point of the poster you are responding to.And I agree with that, I like the swap out part options but for a fully damaged figure i would prefer a separate release where they do not have to compromise on the paint.

I wouldn't want a mish mash of stuff with compromises everywhere just to try and get everything into one release. No more than I would have wanted BD T-800 parts to have come with the DX10 and everything else that figure had. Inevitably it would have come up short in some way and no single look from the movie would be recreatable with full accuracy. Likewise here, and perhaps even moreso here.

The more casual fan wouldn't care but many of us would and thankfully its the latter group that HT are catering to. Conveniently for them that means more money of course.

The BD looked decent on this one but like the BD mk 7 i think pulls off the look better because they can paint it fully damaged. I think that was the orignal point of the poster you are responding to.And I agree with that, I like the swap out part options but for a fully damaged figure i would prefer a separate release where they do not have to compromise on the paint.

I agree that it's probably more screen accurate when you have two separate releases, but I also think $600+ is a lot of money to ask to have all the different looks of Robocop from the film. I felt alright about it when they were in the $150-$175 range, but it's tough for me to justify spending the amount they're demanding on multiple variant releases of the same character at this point.

I agree that it's probably more screen accurate when you have two separate releases, but I also think $600+ is a lot of money to ask to have all the different looks of Robocop from the film. I felt alright about it when they were in the $150-$175 range, but it's tough for me to justify spending the amount they're demanding on multiple variant releases of the same character at this point.

That's a fair point. I suppose I rationalise it that Terminator and Robocop are 'the big ones' for me. To me they're worth it but it does mean I have to forego a lot of other stuff.

First off, for scaling, you gotta know that all sculpts are done slightly larger for shrinkage so the production piece will be in the right scale.

For the debate if we should get a different figure for BD, I totally agree that we should, coz swap out parts will never make a BD figure look real nicely worn out. However, these guys are costing us over $300 each now, where as only less than a year ago, we got a regular Luke + a BD Luke for only $300 for BOTH. I can see the argument of production cost being higher, this thing is die cast, etc etc. But doubling the price within one year is just too much. I think everyone can agree that if each figure is $200, none of us will actually be *****ing too much about them splitting the release into two. You figure to get the complete RoboCop package (the current two, plus this upcoming one with Murphy's head), we need to spend AT LEAST A GRAND!!!

One thousand dollars on 3 items is actually quiet a lot. It is hard for me to take them coz I know I would be looking at them on my shelf and not seeing them as my collection, but as a one thousand dollar bill first. And that is what signals me that I need to stop this hobby.

For those who still have that kind of money to spend, congratulations! I am setting my priorities elsewhere.

Yea the cost is a vallid point, but lets say you want to display the BD and the Clean one you may wind up buying two figures anyway. Some people change up their display sure and some just buy doubles. This hobby is not a cheap one and no one is forcing anyone into buying multiple releases. IF it comes down to cost I personally would wait and choose the one that best fits my display. THat said im hoping to display a few versions of Robo. I agree with A-Dev Robo and Term are 2 of the big ones and Robo especially has not gotten much love int he collectible realm in a while. I have the MMS term and the DX currently and plan on getting the BD DX and hopefully a new T800. I would be thrilled if they made the Robo releases as varied as that to give me a real reason to have different releases. If its just the same stuff plus one thing thats a diff story.

It's really a good and I mean good business for HT. Hope it's a win win for those who expect accuracy on the BD version released separately :)

So, basically the unhelmeted Robo is another version of the die-cast Robocop which I'd just pre-ordered which means that we have to shell out another $200+ for (basically) the same figure with cosmetic changes here and there?

So, basically the unhelmeted Robo is another version of the die-cast Robocop which I'd just pre-ordered which means that we have to shell out another $200+ for (basically) the same figure with cosmetic changes here and there?

No. No one's holding a gun to your head and forcing you to buy it.

Back