1/6 Hot Toys Tomorrowland

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's an odd choice for making 1/6 figures.
It would seem the coolest subject would be the boy in his rocket pack, but that's about it... and I doubt there would be enough interested buyers even if they made it.

tomorrowland_38861.jpg

For all we know they were contractually obligated to have this licence in accordance with their other Disney licences.

We never saw a prototype or even a work in progress of anything related to the film.

I don't understand these contracts. Do they pay for this license? And then figure that it wont be worth it? Seems odd if Disney told them to have the license, but they didn't have to make any toys

Deals can be me made where they have a corporate license and the company can withdraw from one line at any given time. Pretty sure that Hot Toys still gets paid for their development costs regardless. A company as big as Disney can make things and decide not to go through with it. There's a LOT of unmade toys out there from all companies that we don't even know about.

Now, I do wonder how hard it would be to just announce something after the movie is released? With The Force Awakens, they've been selling a ton before the movie is even out, but that's a well known franchise known for toys and will sell well regardless.

I don't understand these contracts. Do they pay for this license?

Not necessarily. I was with a company, in which an IP holder asked us to make merch for his IP in an effort to show it was valid, as he wanted to extend the trademark protection on it. We didn't pay for the license, we were only expected to pay a royalty on the units sold.

It's unlikely that this is the situation that Disney and Hot Toys were in, but perhaps, Disney wanted HT to make merch from the license and somehow 'prove' Tomorrowland was a worthy property, in order to license it further. I think Disney and Hot Toys have a very mutually beneficial relationship, as HT is always posting a picture of their "Licensee of the Year" award from Disney on Facebook.

Not having seen the movie, I would imagine the film had some mech or robot designs in it, or some guys in mech suits? Perhaps some suit at Disney said, "Hey, you guys are killing it with Iron Man. We've got this other movie coming out with these robot suits, wanna take a stab at it, no charge?" and Howard said "Sure" and had the design department throw some text on the movie poster and 'blammo', new announcement.

Do they not worry about hurting their credibility by announcing stuff that they don't end up making. I mean this one had Green Lantern and Prometheus written all over it from day one

Do they not worry about hurting their credibility by announcing stuff that they don't end up making. I mean this one had Green Lantern and Prometheus written all over it from day one

I was just in the VTS Mad Max thread, and there's people in there asking about retailer cancellation policies. Do you think people who cancel their pre-orders worry about their credibility with retailers when they make a decision to cancel a pre-order?

I think credibility is the last thing on most collector's minds, in both situations. Integrity is a pretty rare trait, all things considered.

I actually did too lol. Despite the fact that I liked it though.... I cannot for the life of me think of what Hot Toys was going to release as a figure. Nothing was all that interesting in that regard.

Agree with with you there. :lol

It just doesn't need a HT release. Not every movie needs the HT treatment.

Back