1/6 Hot Toys-The Terminator (T1)-MMS 238-T-800-(Battle Damaged Version) 1/6 Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Article: Hot Toys-The Terminator-MMS 238-T-800-(Battle Damaged Version) Collectib

They better start making bigger bodies to match these new large sculpts coming out. This one definitely requires it.

Re: Hot Toys-The Terminator (T1) MMS 238 T-800 (Battle Damaged Version) Figure

Oops haha I meant isn't really new, more a combination of bodies

Re: Article: Hot Toys-The Terminator-MMS 238-T-800-(Battle Damaged Version) Collectib

In the end we tend to accept what we get from Hot Toys as our Arnie sculpts. If this were Ledger Joker people would be scrambling for some custom because this one isn't total perfection. Having said that if there was some superior custom sculpt for any given Arnie I'd be after it too. There isn't any for whatever reason. Ledger Joker I guess is the most special performance and character ever put to screen ever or something and requires 100% of the attention of 100% of the capable customisers out there.

Though even if you did get a perfect custom Arnie sculpt you'd never get a paintjob as good as a HT one.

Eh, I'm glad this isn't like the Ledger Joker. It makes every Terminator release all the more special.

Like I said in a Joker thread the other day, I'm not even sure what a great or accurate Ledger Joker even head looks like anymore. There have been so many official products and customs in the past 5 years that the market is literally flooded with them. They're all starting to look the same to me. Hot Toys, Enterbay, NECA, custom, whatever. I think Heath Ledger Joker is great, I love the character, but I've NEVER understood the obsession with all these headsculpts. I don't get it, never have. The V1 Hot Toys did and some of those early customs were the only bad ones really, they never looked like him. All these ones after that though? I know the little differences but it's like sensory overload now. They all sort of just blend together and there's nothing about them that stand out. It's especially evident with those crusty *** looking ones that people were/are shelling out big $$$ for. They look terrible, unrefined and dirty, especially with the "real" hair. The fact that people are still obsessed with all the different heads out there is beyond me. I used to be able to tell what was what, but now I just don't ****ing know. The market is completely over saturated ****ed with the character's head in pretty much all scales. It's over kill.

So far, I think every Hot Toys Terminator (since the first T2 they did) have been fantastic. Really. Even with little grumbles like the MMS 117's hardened, strained face or the DX 10's odd eyes and even the DX 13 "bronze" endo blood, they've all been extremely solid pieces in my opinion. They all have this stand out quality in my collection.

This MMS 238? I think we're being a little too *****y about it. It's not perfect, but what figure ever is? Hot Toys, Yuli and Co. have done more right here then wrong in my opinion. I knew as soon as I saw the announcement with pics that this was going to be special. I noticed as I was photoshopping and elongating the sculpts that there was still something extremely masterful about this prototype's headsculpt. Do the rounded, slightly squashed heads bother me a bit? Sure, but overall it's a really nice looking, realistic figure. This is exactly how I envisioned Hot Toys doing a "Police Shootout/Tanker Truck" figure. And honestly, I might get some slack for this, but how about 90% of the 1/6 Terminator community taking the MMS 136 alternate sculpt and customizing it to this look? They seemed genuinely happy with that but they NEVER really looked that appropriate honestly. The small gargoyles, the squashed/rounded head, the blood running down the left eye, the lack of pattern print on the grey tee. You could always tell that it was simply kitbashed and thrown together and not quite close to what it was supposed to resemble. This? This is miles ahead of those. It's not like it's a slight improvement, it's a lot.

Someone show me an officially licensed or custom/kitbashed T-800 that is better than this,

Terminatorcomparison.jpg

Terminatorcomparison2.jpg

Terminatorcomparison3.jpg

Terminatorcomparison4.jpg

Terminatorcomparison5.jpg

Right. Remember those stages of the Hot Toys preview to ownership life cycle?

1) Promo/pre-order pics come out, and everyone freaks at how awesome it is, and how glad they are that it will be made
2) Folks start nit-picking flaws, and several develop a view that the figure actually sucks
3) Much debate ensues for months leading to release
4) First production pics come out of unfutzed figure in terrible lighting, everyone freaks out, threatens to cancel, etc.
5) More in-hand pics are released; feelings are mixed
6) Arrives at owner's house, most are pleased
7) Time passes, dissatisfaction over dated product grows, customs are created, demands for revisiting figure is made, etc.
8) Wash, rinse, repeat

^ Nice comparisons, DiFab. As I said before, the only nitpick I can make is the "expression" the mouth is making. I can say the same for the full-bd sculpt too. He just looks slightly meaner in the movie stills. The sculpts are incredible as they are though. It beats the Tech Noir sculpts IMO.

^ Nice comparisons, DiFab. As I said before, the only nitpick I can make is the "expression" the mouth is making. I can say the same for the full-bd sculpt too. He just looks slightly meaner in the movie stills. The sculpts are incredible as they are though. It beats the Tech Noir sculpts IMO.

Thanks.

As far as the Tech Noir goes, I know the sculpts are "dated" by today's standards but I still think it's a wonderful sculpt/figure. This is the perfect companion piece to this one. Anyone remember these pics? I was blown away. The only thing better was actually receiving it in hand.

1009241215aa02717af979a17b.jpg

1009241215cac34901da285255.jpg

1009241216de3d808085de505f.jpg

1009241216ef469104ddbb32cb.jpg

1009241215057391599bdfa368.jpg

Now this figure completes the second half of the film, well, excluding the Endoskeleton anyway.

All good points fellows. Truthfully if I was to write a letter of complaint to Hot Toys about these sculpts they'd go like this ''something is wrong with your sculpts.....errrr..I'm not sure what exactly....so...can you fix it?'' Until I have a concrete idea of what I would change I'm gonna shut up about the sculpts. I do have ideas about the mistakes of the DX13 sculpts and I think y'all know about those, forehead slope/hairline etc etc

My only definite issues with this figure here is that its a bit disappointing that they didn't think of the eye-removal scene at all. Providing only a bullet-holed vest and forgetting that his BD arm is supposed to be bandaged up by this point (with also a bandaged hand). The body being a little small, well perhaps we'll have to pad it out a bit ourselves.

Actually Difab I don't remember those pics at all^ Nice. Saved.

1) Promo/pre-order pics come out, and everyone freaks at how awesome it is, and how glad they are that it will be made
2) Folks start nit-picking flaws, and several develop a view that the figure actually sucks
4) First production pics come out of unfutzed figure in terrible lighting, everyone freaks out, threatens to cancel, etc.
7) Time passes, dissatisfaction over dated product grows, customs are created, demands for revisiting figure is made, etc.
8) Wash, rinse, repeat

lol how true is the above. Its the same on all threads for all figures.

Difab, where the hell do you get all these old photos?
It seems like you have an unlimited supply and you know exactly where everything is when you need them.

Lol

Difab, where the hell do you get all these old photos?
It seems like you have an unlimited supply and you know exactly where everything is when you need them.

Lol

My CPU is a neural net processor; a learning computer.

Some nice old pics of the Tech Noir Version. Still that figure holds up pretty well even compared to this new version. Still looks nice.

I see HT are including the 45 Longslide with the laser sighting, that's cool for anyone who hasn't got the original 136 fig, I think Arnie lost that weapon in the Tech Noir nightclub though, so it seems a bit odd that the fig comes with that weapon.
This fig can represent Cop Station massacre up until the point Arnie gets blown up with pipe bomb. Then its Mr Endo all the way.

So glad we are getting the AR-18, That's nigh on impossible to get a good one of those in 1.6.

Im concerned about the gargoyles sunglasses, I want them to be more transparent, so we can see the lighted eye through them.
actually i think they didn't make gargoyles yet... but just bought commando version from this board :lol
Sculptors are human beings, and we aren't often going to get a pitch-perfect, 100% accurate sculpt.
i'm a human being, too, i want that pitch-perfect, 100% accurate sculpt, and it's useless to tell me otherwise:gah:

I also hope there are translucent lenses. Seems like they would have shown a pic with the lit eye showing through there if the proto had them, though.

Thanks.
As far as the Tech Noir goes, I know the sculpts are "dated" by today's standards but I still think it's a wonderful sculpt/figure. This is the perfect companion piece to this one. Anyone remember these pics? I was blown away. The only thing better was actually receiving it in hand.

1009241215aa02717af979a17b.jpg

Some nice old pics of the Tech Noir Version. Still that figure holds up pretty well even compared to this new version. Still looks nice.
Yeah, what's do folks think is dated about that sculpt, anyway? I still think it is at least tied for the best Arnold likeness HT has done, and the paint apps and detail are top notch. Just size maybe?

8) Wash, rinse, repeat
quoted for truth )))
i'd put it in my signature if that was possible, it's highly thematic on this board )

Yeah, what's do folks think is dated about that sculpt, anyway? I still think it is at least tied for the best Arnold likeness HT has done, and the paint apps and detail are top notch. Just size maybe?

It was my first HT purchase. It's really good and it blew me away in hand but I did have some reservations about it due to the non-bd head in particular. It's pretty close to Arnold, but not quite there. I never really did a close comparison to see what it is exactly that bugs me but I think it's in the lip and nose shape, the eyes being more angry looking than cold and intense, and the hair length/shape doesn't do it for me.

Edit: I'm probably going to take some heat for this, aren't I? :lol

Last edited:
Back