Hot Toys: The Dark Knight: 1/4 The Joker

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The sculpt is much better than Prime1's Joker though, well maybe not, I mean the Prime1 joker sculpt was made by adam, so the problem IMO is the weak paint job and the sculpted hair. Rooted hair is a must on Ledger's Joker

Yeah Rooted hair is a good thing, I do think you can have a sculpting hair but it's much more harder to pull off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe HT is waiting to do what they did back in the day with their first ugly 1/6 Joker.

Make a much better Bank Robber Joker (1/4 scale with 2 sculpts) down the line so people are forced to get both and switch out the heads.

Everyone that buys this version will get that one like a moth to a flame.

EB doesn't know how to do business, which is why HT makes the big bucks.

Its also ironic that HT got the hair color so much better on their bust 10 years ago then a 1/4 scale figure in 2018.

1277391225buste_joker_001.jpg

See, honestly? This does nothing for me. The likeness is solid, but it’s just bland, and it’s one of the things that pisses me off so much about Hot Toys’ efforts. Because you look at a sculpt like this or Adam’s sculpt for Prime1, and they have likenesses for days, but the one thing they don’t have is attitude. Even going back to the first, worst Joker HT ever did, it didn’t resemble Ledger in the slightest, but it had that coyness down.

I almost feel like I would rather have the stock head, ****** likeness and all, over this one because it may not be Ledger, but it feels more alive. HT had the benefit of PERS to give the figures attitude when it comes to the DX 01 and the DX 11, but, for every other release, they managed to let the eyes tell a story. Whether it’s a slightly downward shift or a gaze off to the side, the eyes are the make or break piece of any of these sculpts, in my opinion, because, whereas, the poorly realized Joker sculpt packed in with this set has a quiet intensity to him, the other, much more accurate head feels utterly hollow.

That’s why my favorite of Adam’s sculpts are the super expressive ones, because it’s impossible to fall into the trap of making them look like dummies when you have toothy grins and wrinkled smirks to pick up the slack. But I’ve got to be honest: an Adam Gu sculpt with a JC Hong paint app? In the words of Bogart, “the stuff that dreams are made of.”

Yes.... I Will put this head on the HTs body if they dont improve anything...

Enviado desde mi Mi A1 mediante Tapatalk

Yeah I a plan to do the same with my EB sculpt.

I had the EB version years ago, and yea, makes no sense why HT couldn't improve upon it all these years later. The EB sculpt is way better.

Well it makes sense if they don't have the talent, even though EBs is older, the sculptor obviously was able to capture the likeness of Ledger better than Yulli ever could.

I've tried to love the Prime version, but for the price, the pose bugs the hell out of me with the facial expression. I don't have many figures at all, but I'm pretty desperate for a great Heath without spending crazy money.

Don't forget the mediocre stock paint make up application.

I feel like this figure with a custom head is my best option right now.

Yeah but a custom head will cost a lot especially if u want it haired and painted, I would like to get that one from Mishi Customs, but $920 is a lot of money just for a head sculpt.

Last edited:
Yeah I a plan to do the same with my EB sculpt.

Well it makes sense if they don't have the talent, even though EBs is older, the sculptor obviously was able to capture the likeness of Ledger better than Yulli ever could.

Don't forget the mediocre stock paint make up application.

Yeah but a custom head will cost a lot especially if u want it haired and painted, I would like to get that one from Mishi Customs, but $920 is a lot of money just for a head sculpt.

but even with a nice, rooted headsculpt, It would be cheaper than the stock Prime , and I could pose the figure however I want. I don't see any cheaper options on getting a bigger scaled Heath. I've had custom made 1:1 busts of the character in the past, but was never 100% satisfied with the cost, so I sold them.

I agree $920 is too much. It looks great, but like someone said, I want a headsculpt that has more attitude and expression for that kind of money. I will wait for another custom that is hopefully a little cheaper. I feel like $600-800 would be fair for rooted hair.

Hopefully creg customs will release more 1/4 sculpts. I am currently painting up his mrj 5.0 in 1/6 scale and is very nice but quite expressionless. He has done some great expression sculpts in 1/6 scale though so hopefully they get scaled up to 1/4 soon. Not on Facebook to contact him but if anyone knows of anything in the pipeline would be good to know.

but even with a nice, rooted headsculpt, It would be cheaper than the stock Prime , and I could pose the figure however I want. I don't see any cheaper options on getting a bigger scaled Heath. I've had custom made 1:1 busts of the character in the past, but was never 100% satisfied with the cost, so I sold them.

I agree $920 is too much. It looks great, but like someone said, I want a headsculpt that has more attitude and expression for that kind of money. I will wait for another custom that is hopefully a little cheaper. I feel like $600-800 would be fair for rooted hair.

Even that much seems crazy to me. How can they get away with charging so much? It's not like they are having to pay for the licence and image rights.

Even that much seems crazy to me. How can they get away with charging so much? It's not like they are having to pay for the licence and image rights.

has nothing to do with any license stuff and everything to do with time. It takes hours to just do the hair, if not days to do it on one piece. There is a reason why HT doesn't do that. If you want top quality, it will cost ya. You'll never find a quality sculpt with hand punched hair and good painting for $300 in 1/4 scale.

Also here is a another pic of the figure from AHC HK
16385e1491c68bf23a316c2085250053.png

has nothing to do with any license stuff and everything to do with time. It takes hours to just do the hair, if not days to do it on one piece. There is a reason why HT doesn't do that. If you want top quality, it will cost ya. You'll never find a quality sculpt with hand punched hair and good painting for $300 in 1/4 scale.

I still think it's a ridiculous price for a small scult. But if people have massive amounts of of disposable income to throw around fair enough. I suppose in that scenario I may pick one up myself.

Back