Hot Toys: The Dark Knight: 1/4 The Joker

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
His clothes are well tailored but they are highly inaccurate. The colors are too bright, the coat is too short, and like already mentioned, his shorts are supposed to be baggy.

joker clothes.jpg joker clothes 2.jpg

Honestly for the price tag it should look much closer to this reference photo then what we are seeing.. not really to sure if I’ll even bother getting this figure now. Seems like a 1/2 ass money grab with no real love for the character or performance. I think it’s clear what hot Toys is geared towards from this past SDCC and ACGHK and that’s %100 DISNEY. Don’t get me wrong I love and enjoy the marvel releases as well but THIS should have been something really special..

After ten years you’d think they’d be able to nail his likeness and suit. The above reference looks like it was taken at an angle though so maybe the length is fine?

Too far down for prototypes to be adjusted now surely. What we see now is what we will surely get.

I think I remember JC Hong posted a photo of the unpainted head on either his Instagram or Facebook around the time this was revealed.

EDIT:

Yep, he did.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1665208233543486&set=pb.100001629767407.-2207520000.1532770056.&type=3&theater

26047058_1665208233543486_9047842296153160164_n.jpg

My biggest complaint is that they were way too soft when detailing his scars. In the movie it looked like they were carved deep.

joker_4_therichest-1516703772.jpg

That unpainted picture was a long time ago though, so it's possible they're tweaking it behind-the-scenes. Sadly I don't think there's been a huge outcry for a revision on Hot Toys' facebook, so it could end up staying the same. John Roberts must come back. ;__;

Last edited:
Ohhh gotcha, my bad.

I was bored so I made an edit of that unpainted pic. It’s crude (made on my phone lol), but I think it looks better.

26eJCN9.jpg

I

-made the eyes squintier and closer together

-moved the nose up a little bit

-slightly widened the upper lip

-decreased the huge chin

-made the brow line thinner

The eyes were the main thing that bothered me. They look look so big and innocent, it reminds me of their Tom Holland Spider-Man.

I think like stated above this figure was a bit of a snoozer. Such little hype that was easily forgotten among all the marvel/Star Wars stuff on top of the train wrecks of DC. I think over a year later+ a soon release what we see is what we’re getting. I don’t need this figure since I don’t have a Batman anyway. I was really expecting something great from hot toys. This should of no doubt been like a18” version of prime1 studio to say the least. I think besides the build quality the enterbay has a much better likeness. Really a shame to invest in production of a bigger scale figure and it not be better. I’m not expecting perfection because that can be more based on “opinions” but I think we could of gotten better.

After ten years you’d think they’d be able to nail his likeness and suit.

Maybe the suit, but not the likeness, for some reason Yulli has trouble capturing Ledger's likeness, she had the same trouble with Bale, so that is why they got Kojun to sculpt Bale, after she failed on the first few attempts.

The above reference looks like it was taken at an angle though so maybe the length is fine?

Even if the length isn't fine, the coat on Primes is also too short and that is still a fantastic looking piece, so the coat length is really just a nit pick. The mediocre head sculpt is what really lets this down. It neither captures the character or the likeness of Ledger's Joker.

Ohhh gotcha, my bad.

I was bored so I made an edit of that unpainted pic. It’s crude (made on my phone lol), but I think it looks better.

View attachment 420760

I

-made the eyes squintier and closer together

-moved the nose up a little bit

-slightly widened the upper lip

-decreased the huge chin

-made the brow line thinner

That does look better. :clap

The eyes were the main thing that bothered me. They look look so big and innocent, it reminds me of their Tom Holland Spider-Man.

Hmm they are not big, they are actually too small, maybe it is the shape of them that makes them look like Holland's eyes. :dunno

The small size is evident when u look at comparison pictures.

20245330_1083633675103978_8005426528025610560_n.jpg

I think like stated above this figure was a bit of a snoozer. Such little hype that was easily forgotten among all the marvel/Star Wars stuff on top of the train wrecks of DC. I think over a year later+ a soon release what we see is what we’re getting. I don’t need this figure since I don’t have a Batman anyway. I was really expecting something great from hot toys. This should of no doubt been like a18” version of prime1 studio to say the least.

Since Hot Toys don't have a talented sculptor to capture Ledger's likeness, I think that is asking way too much, unless they turned to Z sculptors.

I think besides the build quality the enterbay has a much better likeness. Really a shame to invest in production of a bigger scale figure and it not be better.

Yes it does, really the only thing significantly wrong with EBs is the head shape, everything else is close to being spot on. However, with this sculpt u can see when u look at that comparison pic I posted the inner facial features are not accurate, especially the shape of the nose and eyes.

I’m not expecting perfection because that can be more based on “opinions” but I think we could of gotten better.

Agreed, the sculpt should have at the very least had a Joker expression to capture the character.

Last edited:
I actually think the exclusive headsculpt is pretty good. The painted joker half looks far better than the standard joker headsculpt

I actually think the exclusive headsculpt is pretty good. The painted joker half looks far better than the standard joker headsculpt

And there lies the problem with the sculpt, you should be able to see Ledger with full make up like you can with Primes. There are a lot of sculpts that resemble Ledger to some extent when there is no make up like the HT Cop Joker sculpt. That doesn't mean the likeness is that good just means its good enough to tell who the person is.

Last edited:
Joker traditionally has a long chin, maybe that was in Yulli's mind while sculpting him even though Ledger doesn't. :lol

I'm still surprised they didn't give someone else the chance to do this sculpt after her previous attempts also missed the mark.

If they'd given him that pout instead of the slightly open mouth it would have covered a lot of the weaknesses.

Still hoping for that day he suddenly shows up improved like QS01 sculpt...

One of the things that bothers me a lot is the hair shape (especially at the top center) and the dark green HT always uses... His hair should be lighter with some lighter highlights.

Back