Hot Toys: The Dark Knight: 1/4 The Joker

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahh, thought it was updated, I've not seen the previous one for a while but for some reason remember the hair going over his face and looking bad?

Well you're right in the 'looking bad' part. :lol

Nah I'm not saying you're wrong. Just looks the same to me.

Scars need to pop out more. Look at his left cheek on that IG pic. It’s practically flush with his cheek.

First thing I noticed also. They're practually not there.

Is that the regular head or the half and half?

Also why would he just post that now if it hasn't been redone? He says "let's do it" implying he's about to start painting.

Why would he be doing it even if it had been redone? HT never publicise tweaked figures. It's just a wait and see what's in the box deal.

I just don’t get what the **** Howard’s deal is. He acts like Yulli’s sculpts have been the selling point for each previous release: They haven’t. The figures just sold in spite of Yulli’s sculpts. I’m not saying they weren’t okay for a time, but, the truth is, the expectation for accuracy and better likeness has grown exponentially over the years and time after time after time after time, Yulli’s failed to deliver. That’s not to say she isn’t a talented sculptor, but everyone has their hits and misses. It’s just that most don’t get second or third or even fourth tries at the same character when they fail to hit. For me, the worst part about this figure is that it’s just...boring. I look at everything the DX 11 came with, and everything the TDKR Batman came with, and while I, by no means, would expect a 1/4 scale interrogation room duo, why not a bench with a cardboard jail cell dio to put behind him? What about his RPG or his Potato Peeler and Switch Blade? What about some handcuffs? I mean, if you’re banking on the accessories to sell another basic Yulli Joker, just scaled up, at least commit to making sure it’s got everything you’ve included before.

But, more than anything, it’s her headsculpts that are boring. For such an expressive character, if you were getting your ideas from Hot Toys, you wouldn’t know it. They include two sculpts in the “special edition” and it’s the same thing, just repainted in some “tribute” to Ledger that has nothing to do with any on-screen appearances. I just wish somebody at one of these companies would step outside their comfort zone and try to bring Ledger’s character into one of these releases more than just banking on a sub-par likeness hidden behind caked on clown make-up. Make a head with that toothy yellow grin. If you’re doing an alternate sculpt, hell, go crazy and see if you can pull off him licking his lips like he was so prone to do. **** it. Make an alternate head that’s him cackling “gravity” style with his hair being pulled down and the option to be displayed upside down (I mean, seriously? Would that not be a cool way to display him with the QS001, Batman standing there, while Joker is suspended from a cord on a diorama base, laughing wildly?).

I mean, what sucks about it is that I see where all the guys who are tired of Nolan figures are coming from. There are so many variants of each “big seller,” but so few of them are ever interesting enough to warrant existing as another release.

I just don’t get what the **** Howard’s deal is. He acts like Yulli’s sculpts have been the selling point for each previous release: They haven’t. The figures just sold in spite of Yulli’s sculpts. I’m not saying they weren’t okay for a time, but, the truth is, the expectation for accuracy and better likeness has grown exponentially over the years and time after time after time after time, Yulli’s failed to deliver. That’s not to say she isn’t a talented sculptor, but everyone has their hits and misses. It’s just that most don’t get second or third or even fourth tries at the same character when they fail to hit. For me, the worst part about this figure is that it’s just...boring. I look at everything the DX 11 came with, and everything the TDKR Batman came with, and while I, by no means, would expect a 1/4 scale interrogation room duo, why not a bench with a cardboard jail cell dio to put behind him? What about his RPG or his Potato Peeler and Switch Blade? What about some handcuffs? I mean, if you’re banking on the accessories to sell another basic Yulli Joker, just scaled up, at least commit to making sure it’s got everything you’ve included before.

But, more than anything, it’s her headsculpts that are boring. For such an expressive character, if you were getting your ideas from Hot Toys, you wouldn’t know it. They include two sculpts in the “special edition” and it’s the same thing, just repainted in some “tribute” to Ledger that has nothing to do with any on-screen appearances. I just wish somebody at one of these companies would step outside their comfort zone and try to bring Ledger’s character into one of these releases more than just banking on a sub-par likeness hidden behind caked on clown make-up. Make a head with that toothy yellow grin. If you’re doing an alternate sculpt, hell, go crazy and see if you can pull off him licking his lips like he was so prone to do. **** it. Make an alternate head that’s him cackling “gravity” style with his hair being pulled down and the option to be displayed upside down (I mean, seriously? Would that not be a cool way to display him with the QS001, Batman standing there, while Joker is suspended from a cord on a diorama base, laughing wildly?).

I mean, what sucks about it is that I see where all the guys who are tired of Nolan figures are coming from. There are so many variants of each “big seller,” but so few of them are ever interesting enough to warrant existing as another release.

So you don't like it? :lol

It seems a little harsh to criticise the accessories. Okay it's missing the things you pointed out but its still absolutely loaded with stuff. Did the DX11 come with everything this has?

A second more expressive head sculpt would have been nice but we so rarely get them from HT anymore. It seems to have upset a lot here but I'll admit I like the exclusive head. As a tribute to Ledger on the 10th anniversary of the movie it's unique and I imagine in the future very collectable.

Regardless of the hate it's still more than capable of some cool poses, I can't wait to get it in hand.

hot_toys_qs010_the_dark_knight_the_joker_special_edition_bonus_11.jpg

I guess my point is a comparative one when it comes to accessories: The QS001 “special edition” was absolutely loaded for nearly $100 less with literally everything that could be put into a TDK/TDKR Batman being included, the Begins Batman is cheaper than this and seems, as with the QS 001, way more loaded with accessories, and, again, pretty definitive, in terms of giving you pretty much every accessory that could be included. The fact that they just kind of coast by on the fact that it’s Ledger without giving it that same attention as its counterparts is, to me, doing the character a disservice.

I guess my point is a comparative one when it comes to accessories: The QS001 “special edition” was absolutely loaded for nearly $100 less with literally everything that could be put into a TDK/TDKR Batman being included, the Begins Batman is cheaper than this and seems, as with the QS 001, way more loaded with accessories, and, again, pretty definitive, in terms of giving you pretty much every accessory that could be included. The fact that they just kind of coast by on the fact that it’s Ledger without giving it that same attention as its counterparts is, to me, doing the character a disservice.

I really don't think the likeness is bad but obviously a lot of collectors aren't happy with it. I'm hoping at some point we get a third party or custom laughing sculpt for this.

The Begins Batman looks good. Only issues I have are the cape, as always with HT, and not being able to move the eyes. Still can't wait for both figures to release.

I got the exclusive because I think I can paint a jail joker makeup with re positioned eyes but I would have preferred HT just offered it. Both these looks could be had from HT with the same head sculpt. Missed opportunity from HT.

heath-ledger-joker-best-villain-00.jpg
heathledgerjoker.png

I got the exclusive because I think I can paint a jail joker makeup with re positioned eyes but I would have preferred HT just offered it. Both these looks could be had from HT with the same head sculpt. Missed opportunity from HT.

View attachment 384756
heathledgerjoker.png

Looking forward to seeing your repaint. It's amazing how his look changes almost scene by scene, no wonder HT have trouble getting something to please the majority. Overall I prefer the more smudged makeup look from later in the movie.

Is that the regular head or the half and half?

Also why would he just post that now if it hasn't been redone? He says "let's do it" implying he's about to start painting.

I think he said "let's do it" not because he's about to start painting on a sculpt that's re-done. It's because he's about to test-paint a sculpt from the MASS PRODUCTION. One of the hashtags he wrote says #massproduction.

Looking forward to seeing your repaint. It's amazing how his look changes almost scene by scene, no wonder HT have trouble getting something to please the majority. Overall I prefer the more smudged makeup look from later in the movie.

I don't think the majority of people unhappy with this is based on HT not choosing the make up scheme they want, it's more that the base sculpt has a very poor Ledger likeness.

HT have nailed Leto in one attempt but never managed to capture Heath. Shame. Especially for a tribute/anniversary piece.

I think he said "let's do it" not because he's about to start painting on a sculpt that's re-done. It's because he's about to test-paint a sculpt from the MASS PRODUCTION. One of the hashtags he wrote says #massproduction.

Ahh understood, thanks for the explanation. So this could mean it's not far from release?

Ahh understood, thanks for the explanation. So this could mean it's not far from release?

Sideshow order page says it's slated for release between April to June 2018, so I guess JCHong's post MIGHT NOT be an indication of a release earlier than the announced ETA. However, the hashtag "massproduction" could be an assurance that that's the sculpt the collectors would get. Let's hope that the mass production paint won't stray too far from JCHong's masterpaint.

Sideshow order page says it's slated for release between April to June 2018, so I guess JCHong's post MIGHT NOT be an indication of a release earlier than the announced ETA. However, the hashtag "massproduction" could be an assurance that that's the sculpt the collectors would get. Let's hope that the mass production paint won't stray too far from JCHong's masterpaint.

Sideshow know about as much as us though. All the Hot Toys site says is Q1-Q2 so it could be anywhere between January and June. April might be a good guess for Sideshow when you factor in the 6-8 week delay after Hong Kong release.

OSR schedule has it down for February but again probably just be a guess. From JC Hong's post sounds like it will be the first quarter.
https://www.onesixthrepublic.com/2014/09/upcoming-releases-hot-toys-schedule.html

I just don’t get what the **** Howard’s deal is. He acts like Yulli’s sculpts have been the selling point for each previous release: They haven’t. The figures just sold in spite of Yulli’s sculpts. I’m not saying they weren’t okay for a time, but, the truth is, the expectation for accuracy and better likeness has grown exponentially over the years and time after time after time after time, Yulli’s failed to deliver. That’s not to say she isn’t a talented sculptor, but everyone has their hits and misses. It’s just that most don’t get second or third or even fourth tries at the same character when they fail to hit.

I believe Yulli sculpted the first ever HT joker back in 2008(?) and it wasn't good then, in fact this 1:4 Joker resembles that first attempt. But it got really better with their 2nd Joker -- the Bank Robber version. I don't know who sculpted the DX11 though. Anyway, after several tries, sculpting Ledger should be a walk in the park for Yulli. To be honest, I'm glad she's failing: I don't like her because as the head sculpting director she's very mean and harsh to her sculptors.

I believe Yulli sculpted the first ever HT joker back in 2008(?) and it wasn't good then, in fact this 1:4 Joker resembles that first attempt. But it got really better with their 2nd Joker -- the Bank Robber version. I don't know who sculpted the DX11 though. Anyway, after several tries, sculpting Ledger should be a walk in the park for Yulli. To be honest, I'm glad she's failing: I don't like her because as the head sculpting director she's very mean and harsh to her sculptors.

How would you know what she's like to the sculptors?

I think the figure looks really good, never the less I had to cancel.....sounds like it won't sell out so maybe I can pick it up later

I don't know who sculpted the DX11 though.

Yulli has sculpted all of their Ledger Jokers.

To be honest, I'm glad she's failing: I don't like her because as the head sculpting director she's very mean and harsh to her sculptors.

I'm not glad. Hot Toys has their head too far up their own *** to get some one better, so it'd be nice if she could finally do her job right after many, many attempts.

The only good Ledger sculpt she's done is Joker 2.0's laughing head. After his fantastic QS001 they should've given this to Kojun or whoever did their new Begins Batman.

Back