Hot Toys - TF001 - THE TRANSFORMERS G1: Optimus Prime Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice pics!

Is there a 1/6 scale version of Optimus Prime's G1 rifle that exists? Or maybe know of someone that can do a 3D printed replica of it? That would probably be my only nit pick of this figure.

A gun from Masterpiece MP-01 would work
da7b32dd1e09a6ce3fbc9f7f7605b0e2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately the MP-01 gun is for some odd reason metallic grey. However, if you buy the trailer it comes with a black gun. I was thinking of purchasing the trailer as I believe it will look good next to TF001. :)

MP-01 came with two different guns. They changed the color as production went on.

I'd rather have the HT than MP. Or that's my thought at the moment, my HT Prime hasn't arrived yet. The MP figures are too small and cheap looking to me in comparison to the HT I currently own. And yes, I own pretty much the entire MP collection and over 100 HT. My favorite MP is still MP-01 based on the size, metal content and overall shelf presence.

If you were comparing HT to Soul of Chogokin, then I might see your point.

Disagree 100% with all of that.

There's nothing cheap looking when it comes to the MP Line, and die cast is irrelevant since I actually don't play with them.

But I respect your opinion nonetheless. A TF fan is cool in my book.

Disagree 100% with all of that.

There's nothing cheap looking when it comes to the MP Line, and die cast is irrelevant since I actually don't play with them.

But I respect your opinion nonetheless. A TF fan is cool in my book.

I was collecting Binaltech Transformers and the first few metal MP figures at the same time as Soul of Chogokin. So I prefer metal figures with a good weight and paint applications. When I finally bought a MP-10 (which most people love), I was majorly depressed with the purchase. I hated the tiny size, weight, use of dyed plastic instead of paint, crazy high price for plastic, etc. Over time I warmed up to it since it is poseable.

Did you feel dirty after buying Masterpiece cassette tapes for Soundwave? $80 for two 1.5" plastic Transformers? I'm a completist, so I knew I "needed" them, but it pissed me off.

Don't get me wrong, I like the MP line, but I see it as a step down in quality from Soul of Chogokin, HT, or Binaltech.

That's just my preference. I really thought Binaltech was a killer line, I wish the still made them. They were in-scale with MP-01 too. I know some people preferred Alternators to Binaltech, not me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was collecting Binaltech Transformers and the first few metal MP figures at the same time as Soul of Chogokin. So I prefer metal figures with a good weight and paint applications. When I finally bought a MP-10 (which most people love), I was majorly depressed with the purchase. I hated the tiny size, weight, use of dyed plastic instead of paint, crazy high price for plastic, etc. Over time I warmed up to it since it is poseable.

Did you feel dirty after buying Masterpiece cassette tapes for Soundwave? $80 for two 1.5" plastic Transformers? I'm a completist, so I knew I "needed" them, but it pissed me off.

Don't get me wrong, I like the MP line, but I see it as a step down in quality from Soul of Chogokin, HT, or Binaltech.

That's just my preference. I really thought Binaltech was a killer line, I wish the still made them. They were in-scale with MP-01 too. I know some people preferred Alternators to Binaltech, not me!

You know, considering some people are actually willing to pay $1K for a coat and socks for their 1:6 Joker doll made by some cato dude, and many others beg some guy to charge them $70 for what is essentially a piece of fabric so that their Batdolls have a "nice" cape that "drapes" right (LOL) and some others mutilate Barbies so that they can use that hair for other Joker dolls and then charge an arm and a leg for their amazing, "artistic" headsculpts (even bigger and louder LOL) I actually didn't feel THAT bad paying that much for the cassettes. At least, there's some sort of engineering in the transformation (Laserbeak's is incredible) and they are fun. I'm fine funding stuff like that, in my mind, my money is actually backing kick ass projects that I love. Instead of funding some dudes's sports car because of "custom capes".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

You know, considering some people are actually willing to pay $1K for a coat and socks for their 1:6 Joker doll made by some cato dude, and many others beg some guy to charge them $70 for what is essentially a piece of fabric so that their Batdolls have a "nice" cape that "drapes" right (LOL) and some others mutilate Barbies so that they can use that hair for other Joker dolls and then charge an arm and a leg for their amazing, "artistic" headsculpts (even bigger and louder LOL) I actually didn't feel THAT bad paying that much for the cassettes. At least, there's some sort of engineering in the transformation (Laserbeak's is incredible) and they are fun. I'm fine funding stuff like that, in my mind, my money is actually backing kick ass projects that I love. Instead of funding some dudes's sports car because of "custom capes".

[/QUOTE]

*golf clap*

Wow...you went for the jugular with that. No punches were pulled.

Agreed with everything you said. Ultimately, it's all up to the individual and how much one is willing to pay for "completing" an item. That items worth is all subjective. Do I think it's worth it to pay $70 bucks for fabric when I think the stock fabric will suffice? Nope. Do I think a KO white MP10 that costs $90-$100 as a companion piece to MP22 worth it? Absolutely. One person may think it's not, but on the other hand sees value in spending $700 on a pair of 1/6 socks. Will I mock or condemn that collector? Nah, it's their money. It's their choice. In the end, we really shouldn't care how others feel about certain collectibles and fan made accessories... all that matters is how you feel. You like it? Buy that $#!+ and love the ever loving $#!+ out of it.

I actually think there were at least 3 color variations to mp01 Prime's gun, the three that i have seen are grey, blue, and black

That could be true. I just know I had two different versions in my collection at one point.

Three colors have come out across two different versions of the North American release of the MP-01 mold.

The first two came out with the initial 20th Anniversary Classics line MP Optimus release, which featured similar colors to the Japanese MP-01, but with added "battle damage". One run had a black gun, while the other was dark grey.

The blue gun came with the "DVD edition" release a few years later, which included slightly brighter paint apps as well as a talking electronic stand.

Also, just as an aside, the gun-mode Megatron that comes with this figure actually fits quite nicely with Sideshow's original Cobra Commander.

Personally, to throw another opinion into the MP-10/HT debate, I actually like the HT version best. MP-10 is a great figure of course. As a transforming toy it's probably the best representation of G1 Prime we have, but overall I think that the HT version is a better representation of Prime as a robot. There are issues of course (the matrix being one of my biggest peeves), but without having to make sacrifices in order to incorporate the alt-mode they were able to achieve the look that I think G1 Prime has evolved towards. Comparing this release to the Pat Lee image you see on the Takara re-issue of Prime, HT just seems to capture that type of look in a lot of ways that even MP-10 doesn't. Again, MP-10 is a great transformer, but HT TF-001 is a great Optimus.

Three colors have come out across two different versions of the North American release of the MP-01 mold.

The first two came out with the initial 20th Anniversary Classics line MP Optimus release, which featured similar colors to the Japanese MP-01, but with added "battle damage". One run had a black gun, while the other was dark grey.

The blue gun came with the "DVD edition" release a few years later, which included slightly brighter paint apps as well as a talking electronic stand.

Also, just as an aside, the gun-mode Megatron that comes with this figure actually fits quite nicely with Sideshow's original Cobra Commander.

Personally, to throw another opinion into the MP-10/HT debate, I actually like the HT version best. MP-10 is a great figure of course. As a transforming toy it's probably the best representation of G1 Prime we have, but overall I think that the HT version is a better representation of Prime as a robot. There are issues of course (the matrix being one of my biggest peeves), but without having to make sacrifices in order to incorporate the alt-mode they were able to achieve the look that I think G1 Prime has evolved towards. Comparing this release to the Pat Lee image you see on the Takara re-issue of Prime, HT just seems to capture that type of look in a lot of ways that even MP-10 doesn't. Again, MP-10 is a great transformer, but HT TF-001 is a great Optimus.

So three colors like I said. I know because I've owned all three at one point.
I personally think they are both great versions of Optimus. I've yet to handle the HT Prime yet so I can't be certain, but I like what I see so far.

I pretty much agree with you guys. I was just upset with MP-10 when I first got him this year. He was hyped as the best, and then when I opened him it was so small, lack of paint, and plastic-y that was unimpressed for $180. Over time I gained appreciation based on how poseable the figure is. It looks good in context to the new MP figures.

I think it's Binaltech and Soul of Chogokin (and HT I guess) that makes me think MP is slightly inferior. They pose well, mostly look good in vehicle mode (Bumblebee looks bad in vehicle mode), and they are very cool. But Binaltech was probably just as good in robot mode, had better (realistic) vehicle modes, cost less, were larger (MP-01 scale) were painted, made mostly of metal etc. I think these spoiled me. MP is great, but just not as good to me. I know some folks actually prefer plastic to metal (no risk of paint chipping), but not me. I guess it's the same debate with Die-cast vs regular Hot Toys to some degree.

That's why I pre-ordered mine locally. I just wanted to confirm it. I want to make sure I can do this-

dcadb1fdbe9df17c8331edb7453da832.jpg

I would double check that my friend I just looked on bbts and I'm fairly confident that they do not offer the Ex version. It's the Starscream but not Ex.
It is nowhere in the description and it mentions nothing about Starscream's head. I just don't wanna see you miss out

Arrived today and couldn't be happier. The paint work on this beaut is stunning :rock

IMG_7411.JPG

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender1.jpg

FullSizeRender2.jpg

Back