1/6 Hot Toys -Terminator Genisys: T-800 Guardian

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wasn't twisting any words. It was a genuine question. I was curious what you meant by it being way better than the original...I can't say I see what you mean, to me it looks identical to what I have. I wouldn't have known it was a 'custom' at all. Impressive if it is. You don't get paintjobs like that in our own customs section here.

As for my ''it's the paint'' repetition in two threads, that was a joke. I wasn't being snide.

Last edited:
i see :)
there are copies of various HT heads on ebay nowadays, it looks to me like they are all produced on one factory. they often sell them as a preorder. and their paint looks like HT level. i wonder how they manage that. plus they change the sculpt a little, i don't know if it is intentional or accidental.
this one looks a) a little changed and b) better/reacher painted with shadows in different places, both factors make it look more like what it should be from the beginning. or at least less like TLJ.
so i wanted to make a joke and say that paint is just colored liquid, while skills of using it are what make some unknown illegal copy look better than an expensive original figure.

i got a "winter soldier" head from the same... producer (?) for my future bunker terminator custom, so i know how they look in hand, not only on a photo. they look as good as they are shown :)
(though i had to keep it in open air for several weeks to avoid the stink of artificial hair)

I picked a new one up on eBay for a ridiculously low price, and I'm amazed these figures aren't more popular. The likeness is mind-blowing, and the clothes are fantastic! They even have a tiny little 'Matchless' logo on his jacket! You know, I'd put the likeness above that of old Luke and Han from Hot Toys' Ep 7 collection, although I'm not sure that's fair since Arnold seems like an easy likeness to capture judging by how even second rate busts look good.

For the price too, it's amazing that you get two separate heads. Sure, it doesn't come with any accessories short of the shotgun and sunglasses, but I can't imagine what else they'd have given this figure... It's just a shame the line ended with the T-800s, I'd love to have a Clarke Sarah Connor and a Byung-hun T1000, maybe even a Clark John Connor too for that matter.

I just love how heavy the weight of this figure is by the way. Such a small detail that you won't notice looking at him, but it makes perfect sense for a terminator to be that way.

I'm a huge fan of Genisys and I'm gutted that there won't be a direct sequel. To be honest, it was for that reason that this was the first figure I kept circling when it was up for preorder even before I got into collecting sixth scale figures. Feels like a long journey, but I'm glad I have this guy in my collection!

I'm amazed these figures aren't more popular.

Arnold seems like an easy likeness to capture judging by how even second rate busts look good.

It's just a shame the line ended with the T-800s

I'd love to have a Clarke Sarah Connor and a Byung-hun T1000, maybe even a Clark John Connor too for that matter.

I'm a huge fan of Genisys and I'm gutted that there won't be a direct sequel.

ef8.jpg

Don't think he was picking a fight - you just expressed what are minority viewpoints in these parts. Most people hate Genisys and quite a number of us view Arnold as in fact being a very difficult likeness to nail down. The only sculpt that gets universal praise is the Enterbay Battle-damaged T-800 from T2 and that's only half his face.

I myself enjoy Genisys as an Arnold movie and fan fiction. I don't take it seriously alongside T1 and T2 though.

Guardian is a quality, if barebones, figure.

Thank you, that does help put things into perspective for me. :) I can appreciate the criticisms of Genisys, and considering how badly it tanked there's no argument I'm in the minority! But what can you say about tastes... I viewed it less as an action movie and more of an exploration on pre-determination, which I loved.

And I can appreciate seeing it as fan fiction, though honestly everything outside of T1 and T2 were so varied in style and tone that I'd argue they're all fanfiction anyway... Hell, even T2 is pretty different from T1 for that matter!

You know, I could see that sculpt being a hard one to capture, but I'm so new to the collecting game that maybe I took it for granted. I guess he plays a robot so well that it convinced me his likeness was pretty assembly line! ;)

But yeah, I completely agree that this is a bare bones figure. For what it's worth, I'm glad I bought it!

T2 is just within the tonal parameters I would accept of a sequel to T1. Not exactly the same but I don't feel like it suddenly shifted into ''can't possibly be the same world'' territory either :lol That is sadly where I feel all the other films went. For T2 it obviously helped that so many of the original players came back for it.

As to Guardian here, this shot was always my favourite (not my pic) and probably what made me buy it.

11148653_10153359271992344_8371057973984495662_o_zpses61ldmz.jpg

You know, I absolutely agree with everything you said! I remember being in the theater confused why the terrifying terminator series had become a comedy film, and with T:S, I understood where they were going with that, but to me they just focused on the least interesting bit (the future war), and even then, did it in a way that completely changed the setting and made it obsolete. That's to say nothing about the toothless, changed ending that took away the whole point of the film. :slap

And the less said about the television series, the better. :monkey3

I guess that's part of why I loved Genisys so much. To me, I agree it was very fan-servicey, and tried to go back to what made the first two work. How successful that was depends on person to person, but hopefully we can agree that at least it tried to go back to basics ;)

Also, that's a fantastic shot! I thought it was a screencap for a second! Well, I wasn't going to remove his jacket before, but now... :clap Are you displaying yours, and if so, how? I'm thinking of kit bashing an Emilia Clarke sculpt on my HT Sarah Connor body, and doing the same for Byung-hun on the T1000 (although it's near impossible to find that HT figure at anywhere near a reasonable rate).

Speaking of which, would you (or anyone else) by any chance know if the Byung-hun head sculpts floating around eBay are any good?

s-l225.jpg

I also found a Emilia-Clarke-as-Sarah-Connor sculpt on Sculpt4ever, but I'm not sure if it's a reputable company first of all (considering how barebones the website is), or secondly if it's worth the 120 USD price tag...

c5d6e93c7dd9b97855eca02b1338c779.JPG

Looks good, but I'm not sure if that's 120 dollars good... Especially considering the Byung-hun sculpts are going for close to 10% that asking price... Either the Sarah Connor is ridiculously fantastic (or overpriced), or the T1000 is ridiculously misleading

By the way, brilliant avatar!

Lol! I can totally see that! Actually, come to think of it, she'd make a pretty interesting Sarah Connor...

I just find the way the neck attaches to be kind of weird. Like a martian wearing a human mask....

You know, I absolutely agree with everything you said! I remember being in the theater confused why the terrifying terminator series had become a comedy film, and with T:S, I understood where they were going with that, but to me they just focused on the least interesting bit (the future war), and even then, did it in a way that completely changed the setting and made it obsolete. That's to say nothing about the toothless, changed ending that took away the whole point of the film. :slap

And the less said about the television series, the better. :monkey3

I guess that's part of why I loved Genisys so much. To me, I agree it was very fan-servicey, and tried to go back to what made the first two work. How successful that was depends on person to person, but hopefully we can agree that at least it tried to go back to basics ;)

Also, that's a fantastic shot! I thought it was a screencap for a second! Well, I wasn't going to remove his jacket before, but now... :clap Are you displaying yours, and if so, how? I'm thinking of kit bashing an Emilia Clarke sculpt on my HT Sarah Connor body, and doing the same for Byung-hun on the T1000 (although it's near impossible to find that HT figure at anywhere near a reasonable rate).

Speaking of which, would you (or anyone else) by any chance know if the Byung-hun head sculpts floating around eBay are any good?

s-l225.jpg

I also found a Emilia-Clarke-as-Sarah-Connor sculpt on Sculpt4ever, but I'm not sure if it's a reputable company first of all (considering how barebones the website is), or secondly if it's worth the 120 USD price tag...

c5d6e93c7dd9b97855eca02b1338c779.JPG

Looks good, but I'm not sure if that's 120 dollars good... Especially considering the Byung-hun sculpts are going for close to 10% that asking price... Either the Sarah Connor is ridiculously fantastic (or overpriced), or the T1000 is ridiculously misleading

By the way, brilliant avatar!

Thanks, someone made this avatar for me years ago and I've been using it ever since. Actually I changed it once but no one would accept the new one, I had to go back to this. I was actually flattered by how much people cared :lol

I must say you're very much 'opposite' man with regard opinion on certain things - many here regard the TV show as the best thing since T2 while the future war is widely considered to be the only truly worthwhile part of the Terminator universe to explore at this point - y'know, because T1 and T2 did the excursions to the ''present day'' so well, why does there need to be more of that. T2 closed out the storyline pretty well so, for many of us, it seems like the only thing left to do - if anything else needed to be done at all - was a full telling of the future war leading up to the events of T1 and T2. So it would be a prequel movie set in the future. Terminator Salvation was not it.
N7GFI7m.gif

As for my Genisys figure, he's actually boxed away. I had decided to limit my displays to T1 and T2. So any Salvation stuff was boxed up along with Pops. I didn't buy the Genisys Endoskeleton at all. I also never pursued any customs for this movie so I can't really advise on the T-1000 heads or Emilia Clarke.

I must say you're very much 'opposite' man with regard opinion on certain things

From what I've been reading here, that's a very fair statement! It's not that I actively try to be a contrarian, but I often find that my views often fall out of the mainstream, especially for this generation... I mean, I actively hate anything Marvel post-Avengers! My wife often half-jokes that a good barometer for whether a new movie will fail is if I love it! ;)

(Though I would agree with everyone on you not changing your avatar! If you got it right the first time around, why change it?) ;)

On that note, we can definitely both agree that Salvation was not a good movie. I can appreciate a future-war set movie, but why do that if you're overhauling the entire concept of the future war, as portrayed in the previous entries? Sure, I get that technology changes, but even then, Salvation had more in common aesthetically with Mad Max than it did the Terminator series.

And me personally, I love the use of John Connor as a symbol than an actual character. I mean, T1 was all about the events building up to him, with him being more of a symbolic future they built towards. With T2, I would argue that yes, even though we see young John Connor, it's not THE John Connor that he ultimately becomes. More of a blank slate that would be shaped by the coming events. T3 was waaay off, but we also were seeing a John Connor running away from who he was meant to be. Which ultimately goes back to the notion that the more interesting portrayals of JC are where we see a person that is at odds with themselves, or not the man we were promised.

With Salvation, the one point I appreciated was not making JC the protagonist. Instead, we see him as the soldiers around him saw him. But studio interference meant that the original pitch was far more interesting than the final product.

Which brings me to Genisys, where I loved the subverting of expectations. Again, JC was not the protagonist, but we see the world through the eyes of those around him, and the ripple effect of losing a savior.

Now as far as the TV series is concerned, I apologize but I just could not get over the very low production values and the cheesy scripts. It had its moments, and I did like Summer Glau in that, but I felt it focused heavily on science fiction and generic action set-pieces, and less of the suspense and philosophical ideas that really got me hooked on the Terminator franchise.

But I digress... I hope this talk isn't straying too far off topic, since I know some boards frown on that sort of stuff!

Thank you though on the thoughts on the customs of this movie. I am very hesitant in taking the plunge on Clarke since I can't find any reviews of the figure, and even if it cost just what they are asking for a deposit (60USD), I'd still be unsure. I might look into the T-1000, and if I do, I'll update this thread! But please tell me you have at least one young JC for your display!

Back