Hot Toys teases big announcement for 2019

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have heard some guys from Hong Kong said Hot Toys will start doing smaller scale... Star Wars 1/12 will be the first one.

Maybe tbey saw the price increase will effect collectors and decided to go smaller scale. But, if they aim for a similar quality, price will hardly go down.

Can’t do BS and a HT 1/12 line. Years ago that ship sank with the 3A Ashley Wood bid but maybe they are reviving it. Hasbro is going back to Vintage 3-3/4” so maybe they slow down BS :dunno ...pure speculation.

I have heard some guys from Hong Kong said Hot Toys will start doing smaller scale... Star Wars 1/12 will be the first one.

I'd prefer 1/8 really. Smaller to save space but not too small that certain aspects become too difficult to create. Just look at Mezco 1:12 Ghostbusters on how things can be difficult at that scale.

I think that would be a huge money loss for them. There's The Black Series at the low end, Bandai figure models in the middle, SH Figuarts, and Mafex at the high end of Star Wars 1/12. All of those have well established lines. The only thing HT could bring to it is cloth clothing, which is mostly undesired in the 1/12 market. I think Mezco gets away with cloth in that scale because they mostly make Superheros with skin tight clothing, soft layered cloth looks terrible at that scale.
I'd hope that's not the direction they're going, it would also pull resources from making more 1/6 figures.

Damtoys and Coomodel are doing some amazing 1/12 scale figures, samurai, soldiers and knights so far. IMO they are much better than Mezco figures. I would love to move down in scale, besides more display room they would be cheaper and you could have environments/dioramas, vehicles and animals/creatures. Enterbay also started a 1/9 nba line.

I think that would be a huge money loss for them. There's The Black Series at the low end, Bandai figure models in the middle, SH Figuarts, and Mafex at the high end of Star Wars 1/12. All of those have well established lines. The only thing HT could bring to it is cloth clothing, which is mostly undesired in the 1/12 market. I think Mezco gets away with cloth in that scale because they mostly make Superheros with skin tight clothing, soft layered cloth looks terrible at that scale.
I'd hope that's not the direction they're going, it would also pull resources from making more 1/6 figures.

That's my thought too. They might only make some smaller market figures in 1/12 only. I hope they can use the available resource to produce more 1/6 figures and shorten the production time for all their figures instead.

That's my thought too. They might only make some smaller market figures in 1/12 only. I hope they can use the available resource to produce more 1/6 figures and shorten the production time for all their figures instead.

This would be great they could knock out more teased figures.

I thought they would announce a Secret Base opening in the US (maybe in Disney or something) or new scale figures, but I think it was just that video they posted. :huh

1/12 still would be $120 or so...you want to pay that? Unless they surprise us with lower price and ditch the cloth clothes....
Maybe something like 1/9 is the plan but agree it doesn't sound like a successful idea

I do believe HT wants to conquer the smaller scale market....

No matter what, Hot Toys will need to meet the premium for 1/12 at $80+. That, and some management decisions, is the reason Tamashii Nations hasn't brought their S.H.Figuarts line into the states.

I thought they would announce a Secret Base opening in the US (maybe in Disney or something) or new scale figures, but I think it was just that video they posted. :huh

Yeah I agree; I'm not bracing for anything earth shattering.

No matter what, Hot Toys will need to meet the premium for 1/12 at $80+. That, and some management decisions, is the reason Tamashii Nations hasn't brought their S.H.Figuarts line into the states.

Well we know the threshold is $80 for Marvel, but I can't understand why they haven't released their Star Wars figures here if it was at all possible to do so. What management decisions would have them not releases them here?

Well we know the threshold is $80 for Marvel, but I can't understand why they haven't released their Star Wars figures here if it was at all possible to do so. What management decisions would have them not releases them here?

The advantage that the Marvel S.H. Figuarts line has with their overseas releases is Tamashii can use a lot of their previously made effects because it fits well within the superhero/action genre. Lightning, impact, rock, and etc. For certain characters, especially ones that sell well, they're able to come up with specially made effects/pieces such as the Hall of Armor, logo painted bases, giant ant, and etc. to meet that premium.

Star Wars doesn't necessarily have that advantage because Tamashii would have to create brand new accessories that would fit within the genre. Since the Star Wars brand itself isn't selling that well, especially in Japan, it wouldn't be advantageous for Tamashii to put more resources into the line in order to meet that premium.

Back