Hot Toys - TDK - TWO-FACE / Harvey Dent PHOTO Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah it's good to make money but in the long run you end up losing out because of all the damn fees

See here we go again. Dude just said he made over $300 on Two Face and paid $8 in fees. That aint ****! So what are the fees? Whats the percentage?

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2

I don't like that you get charged fees regardless of whether your item sells or not, thats something else that puts me off.
On the one hand I'd like to start with something small just to see how it goes but then I really don't think theres any guarantee of someone buying my 'small' things (McFarlane or NECA figures), especially when I would have to limit myself to just national shipping to make it worth my while. Meantime I'm charged the fees either way.

Not entirely true. If you list a set price auction, yes, you get charged .50 for listing. You do not get charged final value fees until/if it sells. Listing an auction at .01 has been free for quite a while...unless you list over 50 auctions in a 30 day span...then it's like .35 I believe.

The misconceptions about eBay are crazy sometimes. But, for some, 1 bad deal in 500 and that is enough. I've had more issues with members on here in my 1 year of membership than I had with 14+ years and hundreds of transactions on eBay.

See here we go again. Dude just said he made over $300 on Two Face and paid $8 in fees. That aint ****! So what are the fees? Whats the percentage?

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2

If he sold his item for 300.00 there is no way that he paid only 8.00 in fees. They will charge him a final vaule fee which will be about 10%. When I sold a my Hot Toy Predator for 430.00 I paid over 40.00 in fees.

9% plus any listing fees.

From eBay:

How is the final value fee calculated?

For most categories and selling formats, the final value fee is based on a percentage of the item's total cost to the buyer. The item's total cost to the buyer includes the item price and shipping cost plus any other costs to the buyer (less any sales tax). Any shipping discounts are not included in the final value fee calculation.

Auction-style listings: The final value fee is based on a percentage of the item's total cost to the buyer (less any sales tax). The maximum final value fee for auction-style listings is $250.00. For example, if you sell an item for $3,000.00 and charge $10.00 for shipping, you'll pay only $250.00, even though 9% of $3,010.00 is $270.90. This maximum final value fee doesn't apply to Stores subscribers.

Reserve price auction-style listings: When the reserve price is met, the final value fee is based on a percentage of the item's total cost to the buyer (less any sales tax). There's no final value fee if the reserve isn't met.

Fixed price listings: The final value fee is based on a percentage of the item's total cost to the buyer (less any sales tax). For multi-quantity fixed price listings with variations, your final value fees are calculated per item and based on the item's total cost to the buyer (less any sales tax)—just like other fixed price listings.

Here's an example of a final value fee calculation for an auction-style listing:
You sell an item for $95.00 with a shipping cost of $5.00.
Your final value fee on the item cost is 9% of $95.00, which is $8.55.
Your final value fee on the shipping cost is 9% of $5.00, which is $0.45.

I honestly think you guys just dont know how to use Ebay. :lol
I've been selling for years, so trust me I know what Im doing. And if you're item doesnt sell the only thing you're charged is the insertion fee. Which if you keep your listing simple then it should only cost $0.50.

Which is why lots of people will do a BIN price of like, $100 with a shipping price of $150. But that tends to get flagged.

Per Pennyworth's post (and my own experience), ebay charges you a final value fee, which includes shipping. And it's the same percentage rate. Asking for a higher shipping charge no longer works.

When selling on Ebay, for rough calculations, I go with Ebay + Paypal taking away about 15% of your final sale. It's a bit less, but 15% is easy to do the math in your head.

You lose the Paypal fees immediately, but Ebay doesn't charge you for a few weeks. They send an invoice and then charge you automatically at that point - which is why some people might think they're not paying ~%10 on their sale, because they don't see that loss right away, but believe me, they are.

They charge at a later date then your sale?? That's stupid. Why do they do that?

No clue, it's dumb.

Maybe for sellers eBay who have multiples each month, it cheaper for them to get it all on a lump sum.

The really annoying thing is that if you are not a power seller, you have to wait a few weeks to get your money.

It also allows you and the buyer enough time to handle refunds, returns, etc. - so that way, you're not having to go back to Ebay and get your Final Value Fee money back for an item you sold but ended up refunding.

You should also remember that Ebay allows other forms of payment besides Paypal, so they're not entirely in control or in-the-know as far as whether or when you get paid. As a seller, I would be very pissed if Ebay instantly charged me for an item I sold, but haven't been paid for, because a check's in the mail, for instance. If I haven't been paid yet, why should Ebay get paid?

It is amazing to me that a couple fo years ago these exact figures could be found on Ebay and the secondary market for $100.00 to $150.00 USD, now the prices on them have exploded up to $300.00 USD plus.

Last edited:
You probably had a ton to sell too. SO I guess it was worth it. I don't like the idea of getting burned by ******* buyers.

The most a buyer could do is not pay, then you just recoup your listing fees (if any) back from Ebay and re-list. I've not been paid a few times, and I just didn't send the thing and re-sold. :joy

You can also open a non-payment case and in 3 days the buyer is tagged by Ebay as trouble.

Back