Hot Toys Sucker Punch....more figures?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You do realize X-MEN is a whole lot different than Sucker Punch? Not only the rich comics history and the fans from that, the movies made a **** ton more at the BO than Sucker Punch and are much, much more popular.

Plus, Hugh Jackman is a lot different than anyone in the Sucker Punch cast.
Plus, Wolverine already had a successful figure so this figure is not a gamble at all for them.

Of course I realize the difference between the two properties. I've been reading x-men and classic x-men comics over a decade plus. I was mainly just using it as reference of comparing how old a release date of a property was and HT still releasing figures from that particular property. Besides its not just the x-men line..that obviously has a huge following and rich history as you said, but this figure is from a particular movie that was not particularly popular even though the character may have been. But I can also see it in another aspect where Sucker Punch the movie wasn't popular but certain characters are still liked. My point being, its never too late to revisit a line, doesn't matter the property. IMO i still feel there's a demand for this line. Even if the movie wasn't a commercial success, but obviously not all these collectibles are made from movies with huge commercial appeal or success.

Because you are wrong, it's all subjective, to YOU it failed as you didn't like it, to those who do like it it wasn't a fail.

You say most people hated it, so back that **** up with facts, and before you try that's impossible. If it failed, there wouldn't be ANY fans, there wouldn't be ANY DVD and Blu Ray sales at all, there wouldn't be ANY collectibles.

https://www.totalfilm.com/features/50-most-disappointing-movies-of-all-time/sucker-punch-2011 :monkey3 :lol

:1-1:

I know there is Spider-Man, Wolverine, Indiana Jones, Star Wars etc even higher on the list, but they still have fans from either comic origins or better films from a series so it's no big gamble to produce toys from that. Something Sucker Punch doesn't.

I'll be the first to admit that i loved Sucker Punch. I loved the twisted narrative, the inherently beautiful eye candy(Girls, Guns, Mechs, Steam-powered zombie nazis. What's not to love???), but in every sense of the word it has been an abject failure.
I have been involved in costing evaluations for model kit licences and i can't imagine the numbers involved here would justify any more figures.
It's a real shame and, as i said, i am a fan, but when i talk about it to people i know who have seen it, they literally have no clue as to what actually happened in the movie.
Just a little more exposition and more people would have left the cinema happier.
The problem is that for every person who would answer(When asked) in the affirmative that they would buy a product, at least half will end up unable to buy for some reason(Overspending, finding something else that tickles their fancy, etc). It doesn't matter how many people raise their hands. Not all who do so will buy. I know this for a fact.
The thing is this: (For arguements sake. I am pulling these numbers out my memory for a Stargate model that was proposed)Of the "million" people who paid to go and see Sucker Punch worldwide, lets say 50% REALLY liked it. Lets also say of that 500,000, 10% are the kind of people who liked it enough to want to collect the characters. Of that 50,000, lets say 10% are the people who could AFFORD to buy HT figures. Of that 5000, how many might also have the Tumbler, Batman, Joker, Loki, MKVII IM, Black Widow, Batpod, etc already on order?
How many times have you read on this forum about someone cancelling a pre-order because something cooler has appeared?
I just read that same line ten minutes ago in the Red Skull thread. Someone cancelled THREE figures to buy The Red Skull.
I have to feel that Rocket, Blondie and Sweetpea would be cancelled by many when a figure far more grandiose was announced for pre-order.
Just a few arguements as to why me will likely never see the other figures in the line.
And before anyone tries to say the film was a success, that does not translate into 1/6 doll sales.
If we had 5,000 people who were all willing to wire HT $600 each RIGHT NOW as a non-refundable advance to be able to get Rocket, Sweetpea and Blondie, that would probably get the ball rolling on the figures.
But it still might not be enough. You can never tell how many a company like HT needs to break even, never mind turn a decent profit.

My niece is 12, and she didn't even flinch at the end. She loved it.

When I asked her if she was confused, she said no, and gave me a succinct exposition on what happened at the end, and why. She wasn't confused, and raised an eyebrow at me for suggesting that it was not clear.

Because you are wrong, it's all subjective, to YOU it failed as you didn't like it, to those who do like it it wasn't a fail.

You say most people hated it, so back that **** up with facts, and before you try that's impossible. If it failed, there wouldn't be ANY fans, there wouldn't be ANY DVD and Blu Ray sales at all, there wouldn't be ANY collectibles.

It may have failed to gross a **** ton of money but that doesn't make it a fail film. It broke even an gained a small profit, IF it had no fans AND took less than it tooks to produce AND had zero home entertainment sale then it would've failed but it didn't so deal with it.

Nobody's forcing you to buy it and nobody's forcing you to **** all over those who do.

If you don't want to buy them that's cool, bit don't be a ****** and say those who do want them shouldn't have the opportunity to have figures they want. just because you don't want that. saying 'i don't want this **** so don't make them for those who do' is the ultimate trolling.

It's probably a moot issue anyway as HT will proce them at $245 or such such non-sense. :slap

:exactly::goodpost:

I'll be the first to admit that i loved Sucker Punch. I loved the twisted narrative, the inherently beautiful eye candy(Girls, Guns, Mechs, Steam-powered zombie nazis. What's not to love???), but in every sense of the word it has been an abject failure.
I have been involved in costing evaluations for model kit licences and i can't imagine the numbers involved here would justify any more figures.
It's a real shame and, as i said, i am a fan, but when i talk about it to people i know who have seen it, they literally have no clue as to what actually happened in the movie.
Just a little more exposition and more people would have left the cinema happier.
The problem is that for every person who would answer(When asked) in the affirmative that they would buy a product, at least half will end up unable to buy for some reason(Overspending, finding something else that tickles their fancy, etc). It doesn't matter how many people raise their hands. Not all who do so will buy. I know this for a fact.
The thing is this: (For arguements sake. I am pulling these numbers out my memory for a Stargate model that was proposed)Of the "million" people who paid to go and see Sucker Punch worldwide, lets say 50% REALLY liked it. Lets also say of that 500,000, 10% are the kind of people who liked it enough to want to collect the characters. Of that 50,000, lets say 10% are the people who could AFFORD to buy HT figures. Of that 5000, how many might also have the Tumbler, Batman, Joker, Loki, MKVII IM, Black Widow, Batpod, etc already on order?
How many times have you read on this forum about someone cancelling a pre-order because something cooler has appeared?
I just read that same line ten minutes ago in the Red Skull thread. Someone cancelled THREE figures to buy The Red Skull.
I have to feel that Rocket, Blondie and Sweetpea would be cancelled by many when a figure far more grandiose was announced for pre-order.
Just a few arguements as to why me will likely never see the other figures in the line.
And before anyone tries to say the film was a success, that does not translate into 1/6 doll sales.
If we had 5,000 people who were all willing to wire HT $600 each RIGHT NOW as a non-refundable advance to be able to get Rocket, Sweetpea and Blondie, that would probably get the ball rolling on the figures.
But it still might not be enough. You can never tell how many a company like HT needs to break even, never mind turn a decent profit.

I had to do just this. Too much other greater releases. Something had to give. So I had to cancel my Amber. Might pick her up down the road if they do the others, if not. No loss.

I can see what you're saying..

I think there's definitely something to be said, about the direct parallel between HT getting in over their heads with a plethora of licenses, & collectors who seemingly do the same. Too many things on the table at once & not enough time to breathe.

I've never been in a position where I've had to weigh up which piece I want more, because I have a focused modest list of ultimate faves, & the odd new character has room as a result of that. I do stress the ODD character.

Anyway, Amber's too great a figure to pass up.. & I have room on the list anyway. :)

I can see what you're saying..

I think there's definitely something to be said, about the direct parallel between HT getting in over their heads with a plethora of licenses, & collectors who seemingly do the same. Too many things on the table at once & not enough time to breathe.

I've never been in a position where I've had to weigh up which piece I want more, because I have a focused modest list of ultimate faves, & the odd new character has room as a result of that. I do stress the ODD character.

Anyway, Amber's too great a figure to pass up.. & I have room on the list anyway. :)

I know.
Amber is a beautiful figure of a great character in an *okay* movie.
I have two more on the way and they were *technically* purchased to sell on at a slight profit but, if no-one bites, i will not be unhappy at having to keep them...
:)

Btw - I'm a SP fan certainly as well. :rock

Me too.
I loved the movie myself. I think the storyline was a bit complex for most, and perhaps a bit too esoteric.
Most people are used to seeing their heroine walk off into the sunset. Not be lobotomised and go to heaven.
But i like it for what it is. A great fantasy story.
My Babydoll and Amber reside on the same shelf as my "street clothes Alice" and "Milla Jovovich as Shield Agent" figures.
It would be a great if the others came out.
But they won't.

Me too.
I loved the movie myself. I think the storyline was a bit complex for most, and perhaps a bit too esoteric.
Most people are used to seeing their heroine walk off into the sunset. Not be lobotomised and go to heaven.
But i like it for what it is. A great fantasy story.

It would be a great if the others came out.
But they won't.
[Yoda]"..so certain are you..?"[/Yoda]

Yeah.. who knows really.

I've gotta watch the film again. I bought it when it was first released - watched it immediately, & not again since.

I thought John Hamm was kind of wasted in his role, but ehh.. what do I know. :lol

I can totally see wht you mean about cancellations coming because newer pre-orders steal the limelight.

I think thats why they are holding off on Batman Arkham City until after some of TDKR ships so people won't cancel in favour of the latest

Really would like to see the others made. Having recently acquired the first two I'd be very disappointed not to get the whole group.

tell me about it...i have both the HT figures as well and would really want the other 3, but i'm slowly losing hope it'll be done. I also have all 4 released GG statues of the girls...so that will at least give me a chance to complete them in that medium at least, so i;m at least happy for that, thanks GG for actually finishing a line you started.

Back