Hot Toys Sucker Punch....more figures?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes logic and risk can make babies though. Case in point: The Resident Evil video game masterpiece series. It was a risk making those first few figures, but the odds were in their favor after they established solid ground.

That series is popular in Japan. It's a very successful video game series, and film series. It was going to sell.

That series is popular in Japan. It's a very successful video game series, and film series. It was going to sell.

:goodpost: Yeah I didn't understand the argument there.

The problem is the film has passed now, just like Watchmen did. One of the other reasons I think no more figures will happen is because HT are rammed with Batman & Avenger figure's by the time there finished with them if ever, they'll have new licences to get on with.

But not guaranteed to sell overseas. However, it did. I'd say it's been as much of a hit in the rest of the world as it was Japan.

We know Hot Toys doesn't do a figure of all the main characters from a license, but every now and then they seem to take a risk on a particular character, for whatever reason. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't.

Now that's not necessarily true. For all intents and purposes, they tend to feed off of current, or relevant, licenses... and are usually selective with character choices. There are a few things that they seem to produce that stray from that practice, but sadly, they don't do enough of it.

But not guaranteed to sell overseas. However, it did. I'd say it's been as much of a hit in the rest of the world as it was Japan.

We know Hot Toys doesn't do a figure of all the main characters from a license, but every now and then they seem to take a risk on a particular character, for whatever reason. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't.

Dude.

It was going to sell in Japan. Period.

And it will sell here. Halo would sell so well here, not so much in Japan.

So they have to find that balance.

Sucker Punch is not that balance.

OK but no. A low edition product based off something unpopular can sell.

That would be the only way. But you can't just make things based off unsuccessful properties. You just can't.

You don't seem to understand that these licenses cost money. Sucker Punch wasn't free. And making the figures isn't free either.

There might be a fan base, but since the movie is almost universally hated, critically panned, and flopped, why would you want to make products for that? There's no logic.

There's fanboy logic. "I want this, and I know people who want this, so they should make this."

I want Equlibrium figures. That movie is a cult flick. It's not well known, flopped at the box office, and I don't think it was well recived.
I understand that making figures for that would be a waste of money. They might sell if you make them an exclusive, or low edition numbers yes. But like I said. That's it.

You're thinking with your heart. Not your head.

Iron Man, and Batman have always sold. Predators have always sold. They keep making them, because they make money.

Now, you brought up the idea of testing the waters. Testing the waters is a gamble. Especially for a company that also caters to another country.

People in the US would've probably latched onto Rocket, or Sweet Pea. But in Japan, the obvious choice would be Amber.

Same with Watchmen. Perhaps Rorschach isn't as interesting to Japanese people. They prefer the women. And The Comedian. Who knows.

All I know is this. Logic sells. Not fandom. McFarlane asked the message board what figure do they want to see made. The answer was Candyman. You know what the biggest peg warmer of all time, in the history of McFarlane Toys was, a figure that sat on the pegs for the better part of 5 years? Candyman.

So there you go.

True, but keep in mind that SP was recieved far better in Japan than in the states. (Japanese like that sort of thing ;) ) And HT being a Hong Kong Based company will likely consider their demograph for future releases. If both Babydoll AND Amber sell enough that could warrant them into looking at finishing the group.

Of course, Im not holding my breath, but I think the Sucker Punch gals have a far better chance of getting a full team of figures than say....Watchmen right now.

Hot Toys also may have the license for Sucker Punch but not necessarily the license for each individual character. The actors themselves have to sign off on the figure as well, and we don't know but maybe the other 3 are not for it.

I hope we get the other 3 characters, cause I would prefer to display a complete set, but we can only wait and see.

Hot Toys also may have the license for Sucker Punch but not necessarily the license for each individual character. The actors themselves have to sign off on the figure as well, and we don't know but maybe the other 3 are not for it.

I hope we get the other 3 characters, cause I would prefer to display a complete set, but we can only wait and see.

I thought nowadays when actors sign onto films it is part of the contract that it includes likeness rights for any merchandise that comes out for the film. ? Not 100% sure, but I thought thats how things went these days. Thats why for older films companies had to go to the actor for the rights...

OK but no. A low edition product based off something unpopular can sell.

:rolleyes: To you, not to everyone.

But you can't just make things based off unsuccessful properties. You just can't.

Gentle Giant did, Sideshow did, and Hot Toys did.

You don't seem to understand that these licenses cost money. Sucker Punch wasn't free. And making the figures isn't free either.

Spend money to make money :lecture

They've already spent money to obtain the license, if they don't continue to use it they're not gonna earn from it.

There might be a fan base, but since the movie is almost universally hated, critically panned, and flopped, why would you want to make products for that? There's no logic.

1. There is, otherwise people wouldn't have bought GG, order the PF or bought the HT figures or started this thread wondering where the other figures are.

2. That's your opinion this, like many movies has lots of fans, Just because it didn't make a billion dollars doesn't make it unprofittable for collectibles, GG has proved that.

Now, you brought up the idea of testing the waters. Testing the waters is a gamble. Especially for a company that also caters to another country.
[/QUOTE]

Sideshow Gambled, GG gambled, ThreeA has take a gamble on Real Steel. Enterbay takes gambles on NBA and MIB. Hot Toy caters to more customers than many of those so it's not as big of a risk undertaking as those.

If a company sticks to the same sames over and over it becomes predictable & boring. Profitable for a good while perhaps but probably not longterm as those customers who buy those same predictable products will eventaully grow bored & leave as they already have those products.

I'm not saying they'll be a hit or a flop i can't possibly know that. I'm simply saying there's a good chance of making a respectable profit in making more but not if they don't.

it's a calculated risk, and if all these other companies can take that risk on this and other projects then why not Hot toys.

You my friend are speaking definitively that the figures WILL with absolute certainty fail to reap a profit, when in reailty you can't know if they will or not, you're just guessing that because you personally are not a fan of them.

You may not like it but there IS interest AND customers... THAT'S A FACT.

Just because i'm a fan doesn't make my points any less rational. This license has proved profitable with one high-end collectible company and is held by at least three currently, if it is unpopular as you state that wouldn't be so.

Sometimes logic and risk can make babies though. Case in point: The Resident Evil video game masterpiece series. It was a risk making those first few figures, but the odds were in their favor after they established solid ground.

:exactly:

They've taken a risk on every original franchise, whether big or small.

They never knew if Predator would become a huge line when they made their first ever figure as they had no precedence as a guide, so they took a chance and made it pay off for them

Last edited:
this whole idea some people spit out of "that movie is old, or past its prime, or already has past our interest" so theres no need for HT to make them is ridiculous and not true. that shouldnt be a reson for HT to not finish a set from a line. just today they just released images from wolverine from x-men 3 last stand. x-men 3 the last stand!!?? do you know how old that movie is and now they're just releasing a figure from that line?! so obviously being an older release and not currently in peoples minds is not reason enough for them not to make more figures from a movie. people are so negative. be hopeful. and support the line. thats all you can do to help encourage them (being HT) to continue to make more figures for the line.

If I had to play the devil's advocate here, I would say, "Wolverine is a hot property and their last figure did exceptionally well, so it's only natural they would seek to produce more versions."

I thought nowadays when actors sign onto films it is part of the contract that it includes likeness rights for any merchandise that comes out for the film. ? Not 100% sure, but I thought thats how things went these days. Thats why for older films companies had to go to the actor for the rights...

I think you're right, merchandising is big business these days its far more likely likeness rights are mandatory for their contract

this whole idea some people spit out of "that movie is old, or past its prime, or already has past our interest" so theres no need for HT to make them is ridiculous and not true. that shouldnt be a reson for HT to not finish a set from a line. just today they just released images from wolverine from x-men 3 last stand. x-men 3 the last stand!!?? do you know how old that movie is and now they're just releasing a figure from that line?! so obviously being an older release and not currently in peoples minds is not reason enough for them not to make more figures from a movie. people are so negative. be hopeful. and support the line. thats all you can do to help encourage them (being HT) to continue to make more figures for the line.

You do realize X-MEN is a whole lot different than Sucker Punch? Not only the rich comics history and the fans from that, the movies made a **** ton more at the BO than Sucker Punch and are much, much more popular.

Plus, Hugh Jackman is a lot different than anyone in the Sucker Punch cast.
Plus, Wolverine already had a successful figure so this figure is not a gamble at all for them.

Nova, why are you calling fact my opinion?

The film failed. Period. In every single way. Most people hate it.

Just because you like it doesn't mean a single thing. The movie still failed.

Just because some people like it, and are interested, doesn't mean it can cover the costs of everything.

You may be right, I hadn't heard anything in a while regarding this, but I know that it use to be they had to get the rights then the actors as well.

I agree with you that the movie failed, all though most of us enjoy the hot chicks in it, and some of the action scenes were pretty good. The numbers don't lie.

Production Budget: $82 Million
Worldwide Gross: $89,792,502 Million

Pretty sad.

Just because some people like it, and are interested, doesn't mean it can cover the costs of everything.

Because you are wrong, it's all subjective, to YOU it failed as you didn't like it, to those who do like it it wasn't a fail.

You say most people hated it, so back that **** up with facts, and before you try that's impossible. If it failed, there wouldn't be ANY fans, there wouldn't be ANY DVD and Blu Ray sales at all, there wouldn't be ANY collectibles.

It may have failed to gross a **** ton of money but that doesn't make it a fail film. It broke even an gained a small profit, IF it had no fans AND took less than it tooks to produce AND had zero home entertainment sale then it would've failed but it didn't so deal with it.

Nobody's forcing you to buy it and nobody's forcing you to **** all over those who do.

If you don't want to buy them that's cool, bit don't be a ****** and say those who do want them shouldn't have the opportunity to have figures they want. just because you don't want that. saying 'i don't want this **** so don't make them for those who do' is the ultimate trolling.

It's probably a moot issue anyway as HT will proce them at $245 or such such non-sense. :slap

Back