Hot Toys Star Wars?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone remember how Hot Toys went about teasing the announcement for the Matrix sentinel statue? Did they play it up with a catchphrase from the movie or was it relatively low key? Piggybacking the "Force" comment onto an Indy DX announcement with so much apparent excitement really makes it seem like HT wants us to believe its the real (1/6 scale) deal.

There a couple of figures I would be happy if HT picked up. Maybe stuff from the clone war tv series but reimagined so they be real life and realistic proportions. that would be cool

Sir, Avatar is not STAR WARS. And Avatar was not stated by Hot Toys as their "Most wanted to do line"

SW is everyone's most wanted to do line. It's a cash cow... AND its cool.

But if they really got the license, or use of it, don't you think they'd be yelling it all over town right now?

That "force is with us" line could just be their excitement over getting a Lucas license at long last, meaning Indy. One step closer to Star Wars. Their way of poking ol' George. It doesn't scream to me that they are doing any 1/6 SW figures.

But I hope they do. Believe me, I hope they do.

That "force is with us" line could just be their excitement over getting a Lucas license at long last, meaning Indy. One step closer to Star Wars. Their way of poking ol' George.

No The Force is SW only, not Indy. No poking fun.:rotfl(unexpected licenses man )
But if they really got the license, or use of it, don't you think they'd be yelling it all over town right now?

If you know anything about HT at this point you know they love to tease.

In 2011, we will have even more breathtaking, overwhelming and unexpected licenses to be announced! Stay tuned!

THE FORCE IS STRONG WITH US!!!

To me the only question is..Is it vehicles, 1/6, what?

SW is everyone's most wanted to do line. It's a cash cow... AND its cool.

That "force is with us" line could just be their excitement over getting a Lucas license at long last, meaning Indy. One step closer to Star Wars. Their way of poking ol' George. It doesn't scream to me that they are doing any 1/6 SW figures.

But I hope they do. Believe me, I hope they do.

Only Hot Toys can make Chewbacca and the droids. Sideshow? Never.

No The Force is SW only, not Indy. No poking fun.:rotfl(unexpected licenses man )

Again though, it begs to reason, if they had Star Wars, they'd be pimping the hell out of that and using Indy as the "unexpected license" announcement. Expect it to be just more collaboration or potentially another lost SSC license like UM. LOTR or Bond (which would be cool too), or maybe even something not from SSC at all, like Beatles or A-Team, etc.

It's highly unlikely that Sideshow "lost the Star Wars 1:6 license to Hot Toys". A HotToys+SIdeshow Star Wars line would be a continuation of the two companies' long history of collaboration.

I do expect you'll eventually see a Hot Toys/Sideshow co-brand on the entire 1:6 line. The only question will be which people at which office do what. It will also be interesting to see what, if any, Star Wars figures end up being considered part of the Hot Toys' MMS line. I think the answer to this will come down partially to a matter of marketing, because (let's face it) there are a number of people who would happily pay 25% more for exacty the same figure because it has the Hot Toys' brand on it, in much the same fashion that GM can often sell a mechanically-identical Cadillac for more than the equivalent Chevrolet. (This is no slam on Hot Toys' incredible work; they are widely considered the inductry leaders for a reason.) I also expect carrying the Hot Toys logo would be a great marketing boost in Asia, where Medicom has traditionally held an advantage.

I think one primary difference this may make is that Sideshow might switch to using Hot Toys' manufacturing facilities (if they don't already do this), as it seems that one of Sideshow's product weaknesses comes from shortcomings at the factory, especially in the paint department and QC on the joints of bodies.

I also expect we'll see an eventual convergence between the prometheus and truetype bodies, it ill be interesting to see if such a thing makes its way into the Joes.

If any Star Wars figures end up being officially in the MMS line, I lay odds the first one we'll see is a DX-style Jedi Luke (with PERS), as the Sideshow figure is now somewhat overdue for an update with all the advances in 1:6 manufacturing that have occurred since it was introduced several years ago. (I would have said Farmboy Luke, but I'm guessing Sideshow/HT will want to avoid going head-to-head against Enterbay/Medicom, though I have no doubt that the HT/Sideshow effort would cream the Unity figure, though the light-up lightsaber on that figure is intriguing).

All speculation for now, but that's half the fun of the hobby (and beats the crap out of _____ing, which seems to be half the fun of the hobby for a lot of folks).

I think this will/would end up being a win/win scenario for Hot Toys and Sideshow, with the only potential drawback being higher prices. The sort of adversarial relationship fanboys for both companies have mutually developed does not make business sense in this case.

Out of curiosity, did any of the stuff Hot Toys was working on with Gentle Giant ever get released? I seem to remember them being listed as collaborating on the Battle Droid mini-bust and the 1:6 R2 statue....

Last edited:
Preview Indy, Supes (?), plus other figures and announcements. Whatever (if anything HT announces with SW) will be icing on the cake. Sounds like a lot of info will be coming those three days...

Again though, it begs to reason, if they had Star Wars, they'd be pimping the hell out of that and using Indy as the "unexpected license" announcement. Expect it to be just more collaboration or potentially another lost SSC license like UM. LOTR or Bond (which would be cool too), or maybe even something not from SSC at all, like Beatles or A-Team, etc.
I think an argument can be made that they're getting more mileage out of being cagey about it rather than explicit; speculation helps build hype.

Like Avatar.

:D
I expect the first figures will preorder in conjunction with the release of the sequel. If they weren't going to be ready to go for the video release it makes sense for them to wait, and lets them be conservative since Avatar's merchandise didn't clean up as much as one might expect for a film that made as much money as it did.

I think an argument can be made that they're getting more mileage out of being cagey about it rather than explicit; speculation helps build hype.

Bull____. Them announcing Star Wars would've had people ape____, sent a virtual tsunami crashing through Rebelscum, SSC, OneSixth and even Mediworld and just about every other 1:6 forum/site/news site, while having everybody glued to their site hitting F5 every 0.5 seconds, waiting for the slightest hint of pics. Doing it this way (assuming they even have the license- which they don't) literally strips all the attention away from Indy when it's announced.

I hope Sideshow lost the Starwars license,so we can get more Joes :)

Does anyone remember how Hot Toys went about teasing the announcement for the Matrix sentinel statue? Did they play it up with a catchphrase from the movie or was it relatively low key? Piggybacking the "Force" comment onto an Indy DX announcement with so much apparent excitement really makes it seem like HT wants us to believe its the real (1/6 scale) deal.

The Sentinel was just a standalone piece with the Matrix giftset over in Japan. People assumed Hot Toys had the license, which they never said they did.

For the record, the license rights for The Matrix (and Blade Runner for that matter) are not available. Not like anybody has them. . . they're just not available.

Bull____. Them announcing Star Wars would've had people ape____, sent a virtual tsunami crashing through Rebelscum, SSC, OneSixth and even Mediworld and just about every other 1:6 forum/site/news site, while having everybody glued to their site hitting F5 every 0.5 seconds, waiting for the slightest hint of pics. Doing it this way (assuming they even have the license- which they don't) literally strips all the attention away from Indy when it's announced.
You mean like, for example, this? https://www.rebelscum.com/story/fro...Produce_16_Scale_Star_Wars_Figures_135575.asp ;)

I'll agree that even if "Hot Toys does Star Wars" that it will not make as big of a difference as many seem to think, but I really see very few reasons for the two companies NOT to partner at this point, especially since both businesses want sure things in these uncertain economic times.

Off topic: I wonder how Sideshow's relationship with Universal's marketing division is at the moment? I can think of other traditionally-Sideshow licenses that could benefit from Hot Toys' technical expertise, and I assume Diamond Select's deal would not include larger-scale figures.

Last edited:
You mean like, for example, this? https://www.rebelscum.com/story/fro...Produce_16_Scale_Star_Wars_Figures_135575.asp ;)

I'll agree that even if "Hot Toys does Star Wars" that it will not make as big of a difference as many seem to think, but I really see very few reasons for the two companies NOT to partner at this point, especially since both businesses want sure things in these uncertain economic times.

Off topic: I wonder how Sideshow's relationship with Universal's marketing division is at the moment? I can think of other traditionally-Sideshow licenses that could benefit from Hot Toys' technical expertise, and I assume Diamond Select's deal would not include larger-scale figures.

That depends though. I firmly believe that one of the reasons Sideshow's SW license has been profitable, even in these times, is because they aren't charging HT prices. Really, I just think it's more of the same collaborative efforts like the Armored Bods and Hobbit bods.

:offtopic:
Actually Diamond's deal also covers 1:4 figures. That said though, I'd love to see what HT would do with the UM line. Sideshow's would be hard to top but if anybody could, it'd be HT.

I hope they make a Padme from Attack of the Clones. There's no good Padme collectibles out there. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back