1/6 Hot Toys - Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Luke Skywalker-CRAIT (Force Projection) -

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys - Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Luke Skywalker (Force Projection) - SPECULA

I don't see myself buying any nu Star Wars figures, but if I did, this would be pretty high up the list. "Fake News" Luke.

The only thing fake is the Natural Medium Brown with applicator brush. The rest...

1edpy9.jpg

Re: Hot Toys - Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Luke Skywalker (Force Projection) - SPECULA

Yeah, that Chuck Norris aspect totally took me out of it - noticed it as soon as he appeared at the not-Hoth base. People seem to be retconning it as "it's how Kylo would remember him" (which if you think about it for more than two seconds, doesn't make a whole lot of sense) but to me it was instantly clear that something was up, even if "up" meant "Luke dyed his beard for his big return - wtf?":lol

It's not ret-conning if it's what's actually be presented in the movie. But I don't think it's because it's how Kylo remembered him, specifically. He just wanted to look more youthful and fit because the scene is all about re-establishing Luke Skywalker as a legend. That's the whole point of what he's doing. Yes, he's distracting them so his friends escape, but he's also giving the galaxy back the legend of Luke, which is set up by Rey talking to him earlier. It's all there in the movie.

It was also SO much safer to phone it in. What Luke should have done is not said so many witty zingers or toyed with Kylo for so long, making his holo-projection time much shorter... and thereby not having to die! (It did seem like the experience was only JUST exhausting enough to kill him, and a little less he may have survived) Sometimes it's better not to be the smart*ss, right?:lecture:lol

I think you missed the whole point that he was buying time.

So I assume then that Kylo wasn't able to actually see Luke when he appeared in that hut with Rey? It seemed like maybe he could, but then he probably would have noticed the difference when Luke suddenly appeared younger on Crait. Unless he was so blinded by hate that he didn't notice (much like he didn't notice the lightsaber)...

So I assume then that Kylo wasn't able to actually see Luke when he appeared in that hut with Rey? It seemed like maybe he could, but then he probably would have noticed the difference when Luke suddenly appeared younger on Crait. Unless he was so blinded by hate that he didn't notice (much like he didn't notice the lightsaber)...

No, Kylo specifically says the first time they connect that he can’t see anything in her surroundings, just her.

Just another add-on regarding his appearance changing, how he appears on Crait is not only how Ben and Leia would remember him, but everybody else who knew of him. He disappears after Ben turns, and as we see him in the flashbacks at that time he has the same hair and beard, just different clothes. So when he appears on Crait, it’s how he looked when he went into exile.

It's not ret-conning if it's what's actually be presented in the movie. But I don't think it's because it's how Kylo remembered him, specifically. He just wanted to look more youthful and fit because the scene is all about re-establishing Luke Skywalker as a legend. That's the whole point of what he's doing. Yes, he's distracting them so his friends escape, but he's also giving the galaxy back the legend of Luke, which is set up by Rey talking to him earlier. It's all there in the movie.

But those are your guesses or interpretations - not what's actually in the movie. There is no actual explanation for why his beard is suddenly dark in the movie.

My point is this clear/obvious change in look spoils the surprise (at least for people who are paying attention) because he looks so different to how he looked on Ah-choo a few scenes previous (the only other alternative thought is "Luke dyed his beard/hair... to go into battle?!")

I think you missed the whole point that he was buying time.

Thank goodness Poe got the "whole point" because Luke didn't actually TELL anyone (including Leia when he's right in front of her) and everyone in the Resistance was just kinda standing there watching him outside and going "Oooo..." before Poe figured it out.

The way it plays out in the movie (had Poe not - purely by chance - figured it out,) they could have all simply stood there gawking the whole time and Luke would have disappeared/died... and it would have all been for nothing; everyone then gets killed.

Right?:dunno

You have to be careful with the "you missed the point" type stuff when it comes to TLJ - because a lot of it makes no sense if you actually think it through, even in a very basic way.

I've not bought any Star Wars figures for a while, but this would be an instant buy. Love the outfit. I would probably have this outfit with the other head. LOVE that moment when he flicked the dust off his cloak.

So there were FOUR Luke outfits in TLJ, right? the one he wore at the beginning, the force projection outfit, the short cloak outfit and the obi-Wan style outfit in the flashback?

I've not bought any Star Wars figures for a while, but this would be an instant buy. Love the outfit. I would probably have this outfit with the other head. LOVE that moment when he flicked the dust off his cloak.

So there were FOUR Luke outfits in TLJ, right? the one he wore at the beginning, the force projection outfit, the short cloak outfit and the obi-Wan style outfit in the flashback?

I'd forgotten about the flashback outfit. That would actually be kind of a cool accessory for the Crait Luke. It seems like you could pretty much just make the outer robes to make that work? Though my memory of that exact look is a little fuzzy. It might be more involved than that, and it's not like HT is exactly generous with alt outfits these days.

I'd forgotten about the flashback outfit. That would actually be kind of a cool accessory for the Crait Luke. It seems like you could pretty much just make the outer robes to make that work? Though my memory of that exact look is a little fuzzy. It might be more involved than that, and it's not like HT is exactly generous with alt outfits these days.

CoughBatmanCoughTacticalCoughRegularCoughJynnCoughDisguiseCoughRegularCough

CoughBatmanCoughTacticalCoughRegularCoughJynnCoughDisguiseCoughRegularCough

I phrased that pretty specifically. I said they weren't GENEROUS with them, not that they never do them. It's more a pleasant exception these days. ;)

Last edited:

No, Kylo specifically says the first time they connect that he can’t see anything in her surroundings, just her.

Yeah the first time he couldn't, but by the final encounter it seemed like their link had grown (hence their ability to touch hands) and he might have been more aware of her surroundings.

By the way, how exactly are these "new" robes?

It's like a dark blue jedi robe, but with a white inner shirt?

UyphI2M.png

Reminded me of Flynn from Tron Legacy. Luke was the rebellion to many people, which is why they are so upset that he did nothing. Yet when I was little I swore that when the Berlin Wall fell & the USSR fell everything would be good in the world. Porg, was I wrong. That’s how I can accept TFA as acceptable. Some of you just a lil tardy to new ideas.

Reminded me of Flynn from Tron Legacy. Luke was the rebellion to many people, which is why they are so upset that he did nothing. Yet when I was little I swore that when the Berlin Wall fell & the USSR fell everything would be good in the world. Porg, was I wrong. That’s only way I can accept TFA as acceptable. Some of you just a lil tardy to new ideas.

q3iCWqE.gif

Exactly some wanted Luke to be like Dirty Harry, but he was more like the guy from Gran Torino.

Exactly some wanted Luke to be like Dirty Harry, but he was more like the guy from Gran Torino.

Unforgiven, brother. Unforgiven.

Luke came across to me as completely badass. It was all the more powerful for being understated and he retired undefeated. That moment when he flicks the dust off his cloak was more badass than two hours of lightsaber battles.

Luke came across to me as completely badass. It was all the more powerful for being understated and he retired undefeated. That moment when he flicks the dust off his cloak was more badass than two hours of lightsaber battles.

Yep. And how humiliating for Kylo to only find out that Luke wasn't real when Luke *let him hit him.*

By the way, how exactly are these "new" robes?

It's like a dark blue jedi robe, but with a white inner shirt?

UyphI2M.png

I don't recall any other Jedi wearing something quite like this, where the robe and the pants (at least from what I saw) are all one piece. Has kind of a samurai vibe to it to me. And it's black, not dark blue :wink1:

But those are your guesses or interpretations - not what's actually in the movie. There is no actual explanation for why his beard is suddenly dark in the movie.

My point is this clear/obvious change in look spoils the surprise (at least for people who are paying attention) because he looks so different to how he looked on Ah-choo a few scenes previous (the only other alternative thought is "Luke dyed his beard/hair... to go into battle?!")

Thank goodness Poe got the "whole point" because Luke didn't actually TELL anyone (including Leia when he's right in front of her) and everyone in the Resistance was just kinda standing there watching him outside and going "Oooo..." before Poe figured it out.

The way it plays out in the movie (had Poe not - purely by chance - figured it out,) they could have all simply stood there gawking the whole time and Luke would have disappeared/died... and it would have all been for nothing; everyone then gets killed.

Right?:dunno

You have to be careful with the "you missed the point" type stuff when it comes to TLJ - because a lot of it makes no sense if you actually think it through, even in a very basic way.

It’s ridiculous that Luke didn’t point out the escape path and clear the boulders for them. He didn’t know Poe from Jack, so how did he know the dope would figure it out. And they had a whole base full of blasters and equipment to clear the boulders even if Rey hadn’t used the force.

Why didn’t Luke just actually show up FOR REAL and take down the ATATs and First Order and allow the rebels to STAY at their new base?

I would have LOVED to have seen Luke’s rusty old X-Wing suddenly KABOOM out of hyperspace and suddenly appear directly in front of Snoke’s First Order Destroyer. Just let the camera sit there on the old X-wing for a moment, showing the scale difference as they’re like “who is in that old fighter” and just show their reaction when they pull up the archives and discover it’s Red 5, the ship that destroyed the first death star, and it belongs to... LUKE SKYWALKER. And they’re suddenly all intimidated and sweating.

Then Luke’s old X-Wing just slowly enters the Star Destroyers hangerbay, as if guided by the force, while everyone just gasps - knowing they’re powerless against him. He exits the X-Wing without saying a word, stone faced, starts past the rows of thousands of troopers (on his way to confront Kylo and Snoke) and casually lifts a finger to lift R2 from the X-wing droid socket and set him down. R2 scoots along past the troops to catch up with Luke and beeps and whistles to bring us a little smirk, maybe a few FO droids are even impressed to see this legendary old R2 in person.

And then Luke confronts Kylo and Snoke. Kinda offering a deal like he did to Jabba, but this time he unleashes his mastery of the force and blows our minds.

Back