Hot Toys - Star Wars: The Clone Wars - 1/6th scale Captain Rex Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone told me that they do, so I'll trust them. HK sellers usually always do in my experience though.

I wouldn't be surprised if they make a "younger" aka Clone Wars version of Ahsoka - but yeah I agree that they will probably release a Mandalorian Ahsoka first, and then after releasing clones, CW versions of Dooku, Anakin and Obiwan over the next couple of years, use the Mandalorian Ahsoka head scuplt and young it down some to release a Clone Wars version.

From a business standpoint, ever seeing Admiral Trench from Hot Toys is probably never going to happen. Probably same with Grievous, say nothing of Cad Bane, Ventress, etc. Still, at least we'll likely get a few different clones, so that's something. And the way that Hot Toys likes to roll out variations a'la Iron Man and Stormtroopres, we may see a LOT of clone variations! Just please hold off on the Porcelain pattern clones... these aren't your grandmother's stormtroopers!

Yeah I doubt we'll see the likes of Trench, Bane and Ventress. HT really don't seem to like aliens aside from the big players like Chewie, Yoda and Maul.
I do hope we get more clones though such as Wolffe, Fox and Echo & Fives.

Since I have both versions of the SS Rex (Phase I & II), for me it would've been cool to have a 3rd figure being an actual animated style version of Rex more accurate to The Clone Wars. But, I get HT decision and most fans preferring a realistic version.

I'm more surprised how this doesn't seem to be a very big/improved upgrade over the SS figure, unlike Cody that looks much better (but Cody was also a much earlier release by SS than Phase II Rex was). The Rex head sculpt does look better of course, although the SS being one of their later releases had a pretty decent head sculpt too. Cool to see there are some additional accessories being added as bucket attachments.

This is still a day one PO for me as Rex is my son's favorite SW character. Now I'll have a reason to display Rex with his head sculpt.

I wonder if they will ever make a Phase I version as well? I initially missed out on the Phase I, but wound up getting him later for only a $100 brand new from a freaks member here which was less than the original retail. That was a score!! But, it was also before the prices started to increase and he was still going for about retail on ebay anyway. When I got my Phase II, since unlike Cody who came with both Phase I & II buckets, I had picked up a Phase I Rex helmet from TA in case I never managed to pick up a full SS Phase I version. I know his armor changed as well, but I liked the look of Phase I too and wouldn't have cared if I had the Phase I helmet on the Phase II body.....

Since I have both versions of the SS Rex (Phase I & II), for me it would've been cool to have a 3rd figure being an actual animated style version of Rex more accurate to The Clone Wars. But, I get HT decision and most fans preferring a realistic version.

That's the thing there are already animated versions of Rex out there, it makes no sense for Hot Toys to do the same thing. If they'd released an animated version a lot of people would be saying they'll stick with the SS one as there's no need to upgrade.

Anakin only had his armor for the first half of the series, he changed to his traditional jedi outfit before all the clones switched to phase 2 armor. So canonically, it wouldn't fit.

Still. I'd love for them to make one anyway. I have this to tide me over, but the long hair doesn't really fit.

View attachment 484877

Count me among those who were hoping for an animated look, just like what Hot Toys did with the Spider-Verse line. And as good as this custom looks, I want an animated-looking 1/6 Anakin, not one that looks like Hayden Christensen.

I'm a fan of the Clone Wars many times more over the prequel films, so much so that I even think of the feature films as a first-draft and the events of the TV series as official canon. When this line was announced last week, I imagined poseable 1/6 scale maquettes of the show's character designs, not what we're seeing here. I guess Hot Toys won't be getting my money this time.

That's the thing there are already animated versions of Rex out there, it makes no sense for Hot Toys to do the same thing. If they'd released an animated version a lot of people would be saying they'll stick with the SS one as there's no need to upgrade.

?? What 1/6 scale version of an animated Rex is out there? :dunno

Pretty sure there isn't. If there was, I'd own it. Only animated Rex style figures/collectibles are the 3 3/4" Hasbro figures, and some Gentle Giant statues and busts.

This, I am in for. I sold my ss phase 2 Rex last year and I regretted it. Now, do I keep my ss Cody or upgrade? The ss Cody looks great still, but...
Maybe get the ht Cody and display the sculpt. The only pose I would keep him in is the execute order 66 pose.
Also, 2 new ht releases in the same month hasn?t happened in forever for Star Wars. I know one is a repaint, but good to see. I don?t count the Vader because that is a straight rerelease. Bring on the Padawan.

?? What 1/6 scale version of an animated Rex is out there? :dunno

Pretty sure there isn't. If there was, I'd own it. Only animated Rex style figures/collectibles are the 3 3/4" Hasbro figures, and some Gentle Giant statues and busts.

Isn't the Sideshow version animated? My mistake if it isn't. Maybe it's just the usual sub-standard Sideshow paint job that makes it look that way.

Isn't the Sideshow version animated? My mistake if it isn't. Maybe it's just the usual sub-standard Sideshow paint job that makes it look that way.

:lol

While, admitted, the original SS head sculpts were pretty awful by today's standards, no the SS figures were always meant to be realistic portrayal's of The Clone Wars characters.

The inital Phase I Rex isn't very good, but the Phase II Rex head by SS was one of their best. Still good, but HT will always edge out even the best SS in sculpt, detail and realism.

Here's the 2 SS Rex figures

SS Rex.jpg

And towards the end, HT was helping SS with the Clone Wars figures. One of the reasons it's still so good even by today's standards.

I'm getting this, but I'm disappointed they're not being faithful to the source material. No way in hell am I getting an inaccurate Ashoka now.

Just compared this to the SS Version and the HT just looks so much better. The helmet on the SS figure just looks off.

Whilst the HT isn't 1:1 with the animated version, I still think it looks much more accurate to the show than the SS. If I had bought the SS figure way back when, it'd definitely be getting sold now.

rex.jpg

I'm more surprised how this doesn't seem to be a very big/improved upgrade over the SS figure, unlike Cody that looks much better (but Cody was also a much earlier release by SS than Phase II Rex was). The Rex head sculpt does look better of course, although the SS being one of their later releases had a pretty decent head sculpt too. Cool to see there are some additional accessories being added as bucket attachments.

This is still a day one PO for me as Rex is my son's favorite SW character. Now I'll have a reason to display Rex with his head sculpt.

I wonder if they will ever make a Phase I version as well? I initially missed out on the Phase I, but wound up getting him later for only a $100 brand new from a freaks member here which was less than the original retail. That was a score!! But, it was also before the prices started to increase and he was still going for about retail on ebay anyway. When I got my Phase II, since unlike Cody who came with both Phase I & II buckets, I had picked up a Phase I Rex helmet from TA in case I never managed to pick up a full SS Phase I version. I know his armor changed as well, but I liked the look of Phase I too and wouldn't have cared if I had the Phase I helmet on the Phase II body.....

I mean; they are significantly better. The most common issue I see with the SSC ones is the bodies are like rag dolls. Can't hold poses etc. Also; the blaster sculpts look like they're made of play do. On top of that the face sculpt is superior. This is all prior to us even seeing them in hands which will likely provide more differences.

Major bummer, was really excited for this line for animated style Tano, Kenobi, and Skywalker..... but now it seems like we wont get them based on them going realistic. Still a cool figure, but would display with his helmet on anyways.

Back