1/6 Hot Toys Star Wars Rogue One 1/6 Stormtrooper Jedha Patrol TK-14057 Collectible

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, it just seems like a totally bizarre addition to RO - creating an enitire mythology and reality of these "force attuned" sentient crystals that are never seen or heard about ever again. Gone for the whole rest of the OT, including in all of the force-related discussions and training - not a word from Ben, Vader or Yoda.

Just seems funny that people had so many problems with midichlorians - yet the crystal thing has some of the same issues. It may have emanated from early SW drafts so I guess is kinda-canon, but it really doesn't fit into the OT version of the force, just like midichlorians didn't.

It's a bit like the Chirrut guy's "powers" - I didn't get how you can be that "force sensitive" and yet not at all be a Jedi. What's the difference between him and a Jedi exactly other than formal training? Like he has supernatural abilities but not THOSE kind of Jedi supernatural abilities we all know.

I think there's so much goodwill toward RO people are kind of giving a free pass on this stuff.

And I thought that was just a brief deleted ROTJ scene in a cave where Luke finishes the saber and the crystal is just another unnamed part of the saber we see him completing, not really something that calls out the crystal in any way.

I think you are overthinking things rather than people giving it a free pass.

I don't think anyone has a problem with lightsabres being powered by crystals - something powers them and focuses the blade. Is it such a stretch that big ass versions of those crystals, or large enough quantities could also power a super weapon? We don't even know the rest of the mechanics involved in getting the super weapon to work and by the films own admission it's taken nearly 20 years to do so.

A person with the potential to become a Jedi but untrained would be called force sensitive. There's no Jedi left but that doesn't mean those with connections to the force are also gone. So why didn't he become a Jedi, he's old enough I hear you retorting. Maybe, to quote Yoda, "he's too old". Both ESB and TPM made it clear that Jedi were only trained from a young age. Even Anakin was considered too old but Qui Gon defied the council. Perhaps they didn't find Chirrut until he was too old. Rejected from Jedi training he did the next best thing, he became a guardian of a Jedi temple where he studied the force.

Ignoring the original treatment and the old EU, both the Clone Wars and Rebels series (both canon) have dealt with crystals and guardians.

I don't think anyone has a problem with lightsabres being powered by crystals - something powers them and focuses the blade. Is it such a stretch that big ass versions of those crystals, or large enough quantities could also power a super weapon? We don't even know the rest of the mechanics involved in getting the super weapon to work and by the films own admission it's taken nearly 20 years to do so.

A person with the potential to become a Jedi but untrained Jedi would be called force sensitive. There's no Jedi left but that doesn't mean those with connections to the force are also gone. So why didn't he become a Jedi, he's old enough I hear you retorting. Maybe, to quote Yoda, "he's too old". Both ESB and TPM made it clear that Jedi were only trained from a young age. Even Anakin was considered to old but Qui Gon defied the council. Perhaps they didn't find Chirrut until he was too old. Rejected from Jedi training he did the next best thing, he became a guardian of a Jedi temple where he studied the force.

Ignoring the original treatment and the old EU, both the Clone Wars and Rebels series (both canon) have dealt with crystals and guardians.

Yes, two AA's can power a flashlight, so two million AA's can power a city. Crystals as a power source - yup, I got it.

I'm saying it's weird to set up something SO significant - like crystals as being sentient beings that are connected to and contain/concentrate/manipulate the force - in a movie that takes place a few days before three films that are squarely focused on the discovery of, training in, and revelations concerning, the force - that make NO mention of them. AT ALL.

And crystals show up in a Star Wars cartoon? "Canon" is what some exec in the Team Disney building decides, or some geek flunky hired by that exec to make sense of the mess of contradictions in the spin offs and licensed head-on collisions that LFL sanctioned over the decades. "Canon" is empirical... it is the OT. It is not determined by copyright holders, their lawyers and their licensees.

The answer to both of our fishing expeditions concerning who or what Chirrt was supposed to be... is that they were told by that Team Disney exec that only mainline SW films can use the force and sabers, so they tossed in blind master Po from "Kung Fu" complete with the key prop from the show - a wooden stick - and called it a day. Thankfully, they stopped short of having Chirrut call everyone "grasshopper" as he extols his self-help catchphrase wisdom.:lol

Chirut was fun enough, but trying to cross-pollinate "spiritual Asian" stereotypes with SW Force mythology (itself a concoction of spiritual Asian cliches) - with some crystals and a few more PT Buddhist names tossed in... well, I'm just not convinced what ended up on screen in this department even rises to the level of the explanation you've written.

Bottom line - eh, Chirrt's fine, the "Force crystals" - not so much.

Yeah, those "cartoons" are canon. So much so that Saw Gerrera first appeared in the Clone Wars series and recently the Rebels series, that the main droid from Rebels had a cameo at the Yavin 5 base and the hero ship from Rebels was also at Yavin 5 and was seen participating in the Battle of Skarriff in Rogue One. That's not some exec in team Disney or geek flunky doing whatever it is you say they are. That's film acknowledgement of those series.

If you haven't watched either you are missing some great Star Wars. Clone Wars went a long way in making up for a lot of the shortcomings of the prequel trilogy. I don't throw around the "canon" word lightly either. My friends consider me quite militant in that regard as I reject all the books, comics and what not with the firm stance that if it's not on film by Lucasfilm, it doesn't count.

Edit: Maybe skip the Clone Wars movie. It's as cringe worthy as the Anakin/Padme scenes in AOTC. Go straight to the series.

Yeah, those "cartoons" are canon. So much so that Saw Gerrera first appeared in the Clone Wars series and recently the Rebels series, that the main droid from Rebels had a cameo at the Yavin 5 base and the hero ship from Rebels was also at Yavin 5 and was seen participating in the Battle of Skarriff in Rogue One. That's not some exec in team Disney or geek flunky doing whatever it is you say they are. That's film acknowledgement of those series.

If you haven't watched either you are missing some great Star Wars. Clone Wars went a long way in making up for a lot of the shortcomings of the prequel trilogy. I don't throw around the "canon" word lightly either. My friends consider me quite militant in that regard as I reject all the books, comics and what not with the firm stance that if it's not on film by Lucasfilm, it doesn't count.

I was looking for the droid and the ship (had seen screencaps) last time I saw RO - because my buddy loves that show - and STILL didn't catch either of them (and I was told the Probot was blink-and-you-miss-it...).:gah: And no, I'm not sure what you mean - that kind of thing is PURE brand cross-pollination, so very much the Team Disney exec's work. Disney has been actively pushing Rebels, so it makes sense they'd "suggest" that "nods" would be "cool" as the filmmakers were "big fans" of the series (as spoken on the RO commentary.:rotfl)

I know I'm sounding like a chain-smoking cynic to your wide-eyed believer, but c'mon - this is not rocket science.

Saw:

1. Was pushed on (oh sorry, "suggested for inclusion") the RO filmakers by Kiri Hart, the - yup, you guessed it - geek flunky hired by that Team Disney exec.

2. Was an utter disaster of a character - poorly written, poorly designed (those FEET) and surprisingly (Forest fan...), pretty poorly acted (ugh, that VOICE.) And the Jabba-pus love-sponge for Bodhi? let's not go there.:lol

3. Was an acid flashback to "Battlefield Earth"...:horror

8e3714016eb3d6996f3aa69a985e7ffc.jpg

Except Saw originally came from Clones Wars which predates Disney. In fact Disney axed it as their first order of business.

But even removing those shows, so what if this is the first and last we hear of crystal's? They were relevant to Chiruts background, why the empire was on Jedha and were a nice nod to Georges original story treatment. That's all. They weren't mentioned in the OT because who would know other than Ben and Yoda and they were kinda busy with other priorities. Luke had about a week of training with Yoda and a couple of days with Ben. I'm sure crystals weren't high on their priority list. Maybe you'll get lucky and half of ep 8 will be Luke's adventures in crystal land as he rediscovered ancient Jedi secrets.

Personally, what bugged me in Rogue One was that the Rebels attack the base on Eadu, heavily damaging the facility, but not a single shot hit Krenic's shuttle which was an even bigger target and was directly blocking their run to the base. That was sloppy.

Except Saw originally came from Clones Wars which predates Disney. In fact Disney axed it as their first order of business.

Except what? Coincidentally, the hiring of the LFL geek flunky I referenced who "suggested" they use Saw predates Disney's acquisition of Star Wars.

But even removing those shows, so what if this is the first and last we hear of crystal's? They were relevant to Chiruts background, why the empire was on Jedha and were a nice nod to Georges original story treatment. That's all. They weren't mentioned in the OT because who would know other than Ben and Yoda and they were kinda busy with other priorities. Luke had about a week of training with Yoda and a couple of days with Ben. I'm sure crystals weren't high on their priority list. Maybe you'll get lucky and half of ep 8 will be Luke's adventures in crystal land as he rediscovered ancient Jedi secrets.

If they were in there as the power source for the DS and sabers - I'm on board, nice nod to the old treatments. But no... they got banned from having the force/Jedis in their movie, so they had to use the crystals as a mystical family force-reminderer-thingie that blind spiritual Asian stereotype kinda-jedis can converse with... and that's where the issues began.

And in terms of the original treatments - the crystals were cut for a reason. They attract Skeksis and hippie types (c'mon, who doesn't know someone who's a crystal believer?).:lecture

Personally, what bugged me in Rogue One was that the Rebels attack the base on Eadu, heavily damaging the facility, but not a single shot hit Krenic's shuttle which was an even bigger target and was directly blocking their run to the base. That was sloppy.

Me... I was too busy pondering the fact that Cassian is there to assassinate Erso, and happens to be carrying a sniper rifle (that has a "sniper" and "non-sniper" mode!), and then Erso just happens to walk out of the fortified base and onto an exterior landing platform directly across from where Cassian has appeared - and then stands there waiting to be shot.

Now THAT was sloppy.:rotfl

Ugh considering discontinuing ordering from Asia....it used to take 10-14 days to get a fig....Vader took over a month this guy still hanging in their port since 12/26.

I got that email from Sideshow too. Sounds good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fett made it into the Star Wars Holiday Special. Is the Holiday Special canon?

I can't stand when fans argue about canon. There is no canon. It can be discarded at a whim.

Fett made it into the Star Wars Holiday Special. Is the Holiday Special canon?

I can't stand when fans argue about canon. There is no canon. It can be discarded at a whim.

Certainly can. The awesome Genndy Tartakovsky series was de-canonised in favour of the new.

Certainly can. The awesome Genndy Tartakovsky series was de-canonised in favour of the new.

Even though nothing in that show was contradicted by the new show, interestingly enough.

And I for one am happy some things have been de-canonised. How Starkiller, the bald generic space marine super saiyan jedi was canon, we may never know. Just awful.

Checked my Sideshow account and saw that this figure shipped today. This will be my first OT-type Stormtrooper from HT. Looking forward to it.

Cancelled my 2-pack from BBTS since it came back in stock at Alter Ego. Hopefully someone here got it. :duff

A person with the potential to become a Jedi but untrained would be called force sensitive. There's no Jedi left but that doesn't mean those with connections to the force are also gone. So why didn't he become a Jedi, he's old enough I hear you retorting. Maybe, to quote Yoda, "he's too old". Both ESB and TPM made it clear that Jedi were only trained from a young age. Even Anakin was considered too old but Qui Gon defied the council. Perhaps they didn't find Chirrut until he was too old. Rejected from Jedi training he did the next best thing, he became a guardian of a Jedi temple where he studied the force.

Crystals are not new to the mythos at all. The old republic games allowed you to choose your colored crystal and everything. Is it new to the films, yes but it adds some new information about lightsabers. We've never seen one being made on film (unless you count the deleted scene with luke).

Back