1/6 Hot Toys Star Wars Rogue One 1/6 Stormtrooper Jedha Patrol TK-14057 Collectible

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a bit more on the fence - I really like the logic of the changes (and I love that it may make for much more physically active stormies compared to the OT, with better visibility and freer rapid movement) and actually like that RO has a subtly distinctive look for its troopers with cleanness and symmetry. I'll be grabbing the orange Jedha single one - I just really like the look of these as a sandie/stormie variant and can't wait to see them in action in RO.

However, you also have to understand that the #1 theme for fan films over the decades has been stormie/sandie movies. They are loved. Their design is up there with Vader as an icon of SW. RO - being so close to ANH - was likely the ONLY opportunity we had to see the iconic OT stormies/sandies on the big screen, EXACTLY as they were in the OT. We've seen "kinda-stormies" for decades now - white armor and black undersuit stormie variants, PT to TFA. So it would have been amazing to have seen the real deal in action on the big screen finally, for a one-time return engagement.

But due to the changes, that won't happen now. It's certainly subtler from a distance, but these guys do indeed look different enough to say "not OT stormies/sandies" to most who have carried the SW torch. The different armor proportions (breast reduction, foreshortened shins, longer torso) and the larger rounded eyes - they do look distinct to an in-the-know fan, especially obvious if placed side-by-side with the OT version.

While it's true there have been not-insignificant variations in OT stormies - ANH hero to stunt, ESB tweaks, the misshapen ROTJ recasts, grey mouth grills becoming black - they all retained the same skull inspired, slit-eyes-and-death-grin menace. The new design softens that, mostly due to the wider, rounder eyes.

The wider issue is that the new stormie look will now also likely become the standard for all Disney merchandising. Just yesterday, I noticed an OT cereal box (that features 3PO, Chewy and R2, so not RO related) that has the RO styling to the helmet. A "stormtrooper" from now on - for Disney general merchandising - will undoubtedly be a RO retconned stormie.

So just as people should dial back the hate a little (RO has to be its own thing, and frankly, the new design has appeal) you also need to stop it with the "quit the whining, powerless fan-boy" ****. This is a little bigger deal than you're making out - as far as SW fandom can be a big deal.:lol

If they had - for better mobility and visibility, and to undo 1970's "limitations" (cited by RO designers at Celebration re: stormies) decided to redo Vader's helmet/armor a bit to make it more "functional", would you have been cool with that? And if that redesign became the standard Vader for all merch? And considering RO ends as ANH begins, would it have made sense because Vader would look so different? Same logic applies to stormies/sandies - we see both in extreme close-up in ANH.

So to say "awww, you're all ****-hurt and your ownership of SW just got flushed" is just the generic "I like them and you don't so get out" **** you see on here all the time - and it ignores the real factors at play in this change.

Sure, you own your fandom but you don't own the films or have any control over the future direction of these or any other films. It's just the way it is. Yeah, it's a ***** sometimes but life is like that. And no, I never said anyone's fandom got flushed. Unless you did the flushing. Do you really care that a cereal box, or a backpack, or a 'whatever' piece of merchandise may contain RO stormtroopers instead of OT (ANH) stormtroopers? Will that really have any effect on your life or the fan that you are? Will it take away from your love of the OT? I doubt it. Or, is it that you buy everything that is Star Wars and are so OCD about perfection and collection continuity that your life is somehow 'blown'? I'm guessing not. If it does, or is, then that's a shame because this is all just good fun and it should never be so serious as to kill what you once appreciated and loved, or to disturb your real life in any functional way. Would I be cool with a Vader redesign? No. But it's not mine. Am I in LOVE with the new stormtrooper design? No. But I do like it and that's enough for me. And if I hated it then what could/can I actually do about it other than *****, *****, *****? And I don't want to be that guy. Ultimately some fans invest too much, and yes, I've been one of those fans. So I get it. But it's a mindset that can and often does, despite the actual film or product, set you up for all kinds of disappointment. Weirdly, you kind of have to be a 'dead man walking' and just accept what you cannot change & not **** on other people's enthusiasm. I'm sorry you misinterpreted my post as "I like them and you don't so get out". That was not at all what I was getting at. It was the posts that pretty much said "I hate them, they're not worthy of my collection and not as good as the OT so shut up" that was why I posted in the first place. The elitist negative comments with regards to the RO stormtroopers just kind of irked me. Those comments did not and do not inspire discussion. They are closed and abrupt and have overtones of superiority which is not cool. It's movies and toys. We're adults. Who's superior here? Looks like an even playing field to me. At least it should be. Anyway the only real factors at play in this change are the ones you want to make an issue out of. Don't. The movies aren't actually about stormtroopers running around. That's part of it, and a cool part, but c'mon it's bigger than that. Or smaller. Probably smaller.

Sure, you own your fandom but you don't own the films or have any control over the future direction of these or any other films. It's just the way it is. Yeah, it's a ***** sometimes but life is like that. And no, I never said anyone's fandom got flushed. Unless you did the flushing. Do you really care that a cereal box, or a backpack, or a 'whatever' piece of merchandise may contain RO stormtroopers instead of OT (ANH) stormtroopers? Will that really have any effect on your life or the fan that you are. Will it take away from your love of the OT. I doubt it. Or, is it that you buy everything that is Star Wars and are so OCD about perfection and collection continuity that your life is somehow 'blown'? I'm guessing not. If it does, or is, then that's a shame because this is all just good fun and it should never be so serious as to kill what you once appreciated and loved, or to disturb your real life in any functional way. Would I be cool with a Vader redesign? No. But it's not mine. Am I in LOVE with the new stormtrooper design? No. But I do like it and that's enough for me. And if I hated it then what could/can I actually do about it other than *****, *****, *****? And I don't want to be that guy. Ultimately some fans invest too much, and yes, I've been one of those fans. So I get it. But it's a mindset that can and often does, despite the actual film or product, set you up for all kinds of disappointment. Weirdly, you kind of have to be a 'dead man walking' and just accept what you cannot change & not **** on other people's enthusiasm. I'm sorry you misinterpreted my post as "I like them and you don't so get out". That was not at all what I was getting at. It was the posts that pretty much said "I hate them, they're not worthy of my collection and not as good as the OT so shut up" that was why I posted in the first place. The elitist negative comments with regards to the RO stormtroopers just kind of irked me. Those comments did not and do not inspire discussion. They are closed and abrupt and have overtones of superiority which is not cool. It's movies and toys. We're adults. Who's superior here? Looks like an even playing field to me. At least it should be. Anyway the only real factors at play in this change are the ones you want to make an issue out of. Don't. The movies aren't actually about stormtroopers running around. That's part of it, and a cool part, but c'mon it's bigger than that. Or smaller. Probably smaller.

So no more bitching about codpieces then?

therethere said:
Not sure what was going on with the design approach to the Rogue One Stormtrooper and Vader codpieces, but to me, weird. Vader's is crazy huge & puffy and the Stormtroopers' just look odd with the way they're hanging down swinging **** style. For me they don't compliment, or have any relation to, the rest of the armour. This is not a knock against Hot Toys as they're just reproducing the film's costumes. But yikes.

"Who's the more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows him?"

Unless you're a slave you don't have to accept every film just because it has Star Wars in the title.

You can watch them as entertainment but they don't necessarily form part of the canon, no matter what the Mouse (or Lucas) wanted.

With its redesigns, and numerous additions which won't make an appearance in the next three films, Rogue One is more of a reboot than a prequel to Star Wars.

It breaks the fourth wall, because like most films of this type it'll be a two hour long advert for merchandise.

Now, that isn't to say you can't continue to ride the crazy the train, but it is possible to get off.

And I do believe that this is my station...

So no more bitching about codpieces then?

"Who's the more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows him?"

Unless you're a slave you don't have to accept every film just because it has Star Wars in the title.

You can watch them as entertainment but they don't necessarily form part of the canon, no matter what the Mouse (or Lucas) wanted.

With its redesigns, and numerous additions which won't make an appearance in the next three films, Rogue One is more of a reboot than a prequel to Star Wars.

It breaks the fourth wall, because like most films of this type it'll be a two hour long advert for merchandise.

Now, that isn't to say you can't continue to ride the crazy the train, but it is possible to get off.

And I do believe that this is my station...

Did you read my post??? "Ultimately some fans invest too much, and yes, I've been one of those fans. So I get it. But it's a mindset that can and often does, despite the actual film or product, set you up for all kinds of disappointment." - Had an epiphany so no, no more bitching about codpieces. And I don't actually know what you just wrote. Nonsense maybe? And for a 'rubbernecker' who's not sure why you're still in here you sure are spending a lot of time on this thread. So yep it's your station...

Do you read??? "Ultimately some fans invest too much, and yes, I've been one of those fans. So I get it. But it's a mindset that can and often does, despite the actual film or product, set you up for all kinds of disappointment." - Had an epiphany.

Exactly my point.

There's a time when you can stop yourself from 'investing'. Or from having to do mental gymnastics to make things fit into an established story. When a thing becomes superficial entertainment, rather than that thing that captured your imagination.

There's no hate involved, it's simply a distancing. Like watching the PT as a casual observer to see the things that look good, and gloss over those that don't. And at the end of it feel zero commitment to honouring the exercise with a toy.

Exactly my point.

There's a time when you can stop yourself from 'investing'. Or from having to do mental gymnastics to make things fit into an established story. When a thing becomes superficial entertainment, rather than that thing that captured your imagination.

There's no hate involved, it's simply a distancing. Like watching the PT as a casual observer to see the things that look good, and gloss over those that don't. And at the end of it feel zero commitment to honouring the exercise with a toy.

Are you agreeing with me?
And it's great if you don't want to "honour the exercise" with the purchase of a toy, just please don't try to make others feel like less for wanting to.

I'm several drinks in right now and the new stormie design looks just as inferior drunk as it did when I was sober earlier today.

Are you agreeing with me?

I agree with everything I've written in this thread. Some of which coincides with things you've written.

therethere said:
And it's great if you don't want to "honour the exercise" with the purchase of a toy, just please don't try to make others feel like less for wanting to.

Why should it? If I don't like something is my opinion enough to make others feel less for liking it?

I liked Sucker Punch, but it doesn't bother me that I'm apparently in a minority. I liked it enough to honour the exercise with two toys. There would've been more, but HT took note of the perceived majority opinion.

I agree with everything I've written in this thread. Some of which coincides with things you've written.

Why should it? If I don't like something is my opinion enough to make others feel less for liking it?

I liked Sucker Punch, but it doesn't bother me that I'm apparently in a minority. I liked it enough to honour the exercise with two toys. There would've been more, but HT took note of the perceived majority opinion.

Of course all opinions should be expressed. But for me know-all, closed ended, smarmy, opinions are kind of counterproductive on a forum. I'm sure with a little thought those opinions could be shared in a more open discussion friendly manner. Case in point - "I'm several drinks in right now and the new stormie design looks just as inferior drunk as it did when I was sober earlier today." Funny, sure. But why bother? Maybe I'm the only one that feels this way. Whatever. Done and done.

I liked Sucker Punch too. So there you go. Seems I like unpopular things.

I've been complaining about the new Stormies since the first trailer they were in. It doesn't mean I hate the movie or I think anyone who is okay with the is stupid, they just immediately looked wrong to me. Wonky, stubby and weird. I still feel I'll probably enjoy the film, but I'm genuinely baffled by the design choices made for the trooper especially considering the time line this takes place in. Warts and all, the troopers in ANH still just look better. At least we can be thankful they're not CGI...

Because I'm mean and obnoxious when I drink heavily and since there aren't any children around to tell the truth to about Santa Claus I figured I could at least clear up this stormtrooper thing.

Are you feeling better now?

giphy.gif

:monkey3

99% of it won't be noticeable when these troopers are in motion. I've said this before, and I stand by it. We see and recognize these differences in stills. So there's your argument; it's something the costume designers need to face, and honestly they'll side with what works better on screen. We have a different perspective because we study and appreciate these designs for display. So take your pick, it really depends on how you look at it.

99% of it won't be noticeable when these troopers are in motion. I've said this before, and I stand by it. We see and recognize these differences in stills. So there's your argument; it's something the costume designers need to face, and honestly they'll side with what works better on screen. We have a different perspective because we study and appreciate these designs for display. So take your pick, it really depends on how you look at it.

So a workaround would be to keep the figure in constant motion...

giphy.gif

:lecture

The wider issue is that the new stormie look will now also likely become the standard for all Disney merchandising. Just yesterday, I noticed an OT cereal box (that features 3PO, Chewy and R2, so not RO related) that has the RO styling to the helmet. A "stormtrooper" from now on - for Disney general merchandising - will undoubtedly be a RO retconned stormie.

What did I tell you? ;)

How is the use of a ROTJ bucket on an ESB VHS cover any different from what you're complaining/stressing about? It's not a Disney conspiracy thing. It's the way it's always been.

Not complaining about anything. Just relax dude, you take it way to serious. LOL

Not complaining about anything. Just relax dude, you take it way to serious. LOL

It's funny 'cause all the complaining/not complaining read as serious to me, so I was just making an observation that history does in fact repeat itself. And that maybe the point is moot. Ha, ha?

And it's too.

It's funny 'cause all the complaining/not complaining read as serious to me, so I was just making an observation that history does in fact repeat itself. And that maybe the point is moot. Ha, ha?

And it's too.

You lost me...
And one more thing: you write too much without paragraphs. You know, paragraphs are not your enemy. :wink1: Neither are we.
Ciao. :wave

Back