1/6 Hot Toys Star Wars Rogue One 1/6 Stormtrooper Jedha Patrol TK-14057 Collectible

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isn't the bitching about the RO Stormtroopers pointless though? To what end really? You all sound like you're somehow entitled to have this **** your way. It's a film with a lot of cooks in the kitchen. Decisions are made both good and bad. Things will never be exactly as you, as a fan, think they should be. Of course you've invested yourselves in this universe. And the years of fandom have obviously given you all some feeling of ownership. But truthfully, you don't have any. And bitching on forums won't make it better. Unless anxiety is your thing. Let it go. Though I know you won't. You can't. You're all a little bit hurt. Well, just don't buy any of the merchandise. That'll show your indignation. But maybe, for the fans that are enjoying the new stuff, give it a rest. Or maybe talk about the presentation of the figures themselves as opposed to the "OT is better" ****. Yeah the OT is always going to be better. It was first. It doesn't just carry the wonder and thrill of the new, but the weight of our childhoods with it. and nothing, as an adult fan, can ever match that. You can't go back. Nor should you. And that being said, how many of you noticed the differences, at the time, between the (side by side) stormtrooper stunt and hero helmets in ANH? Or any of the changes in the costumes in ESB or ROTJ? I'm guessing no one. You just loved the films. Just sayin'. I like the figures. And I'll like them even more if RO turns out to be a fun entertaining movie. Which is really what Star Wars should always be about. Entertaining movies. And a little bit of toys too.
:goodpost: Glad someone said it. I'm an OT elitist as much as the next guy, but all the pointless complaining gets to be a little much sometimes. Some people just can't be pleased.

It's a forum, with both good and bad parts. If everyone would agree on everything, life would be boring as hell. So would be this forum

:goodpost: Glad someone said it. I'm an OT elitist as much as the next guy, but all the pointless complaining gets to be a little much sometimes. Some people just can't be pleased.

Pretty much this. Nothing will touch the classic look of the movies. Period. That said, hating on practical changes in the new movies 30 plus years later is just pointless.

I'll be honest I barely notice any changes between the looks of the Original Trilogy Troopers and the original as far as the basic design of the armor and helmets (obviously there are some new types not seen previously). I'm just not an expert and I suppose I don't care about every last detail like others do. I'd be okay with getting some of these new Troopers and putting them in an Original Trilogy display but that's just me.

Pretty much this. Nothing will touch the classic look of the movies. Period. That said, hating on practical changes in the new movies 30 plus years later is just pointless.

Good conversation is fine...when it involves catching lightning in a bottle that most of us felt as a child watching SW i find pointless. We have changed, time has changed it simply isn't gonna happen. Discussing the differences in the armor, film tone etc is all good. It'll matter to some not so much to others.....

I'm looking forward to RO but I'm not keen on these Stormtroopers just because the helmet lacks menace to my eyes. The pauldron too looks way too fussy for the OT era with those folds. But I'm definitely going to buy a chest piece somewhere and try it on my Luke Stormtrooper, as the one that's on there looks too big to me.

9a07fd6e7c9204de41302ccfea09b432.jpg

This guy!
Love seeing the Rogue One stuff to roll out..
But I can't wait for the "unique" figures, especially K-2SO. He will be a massive figure. They have not shown any of his physical feats...but he seems to me like a C-3PO/Chewbacca combo. Which is awesome.

I have little space to allot to more figures..but I may have to get something from this film because I am 200% sure I will love it, that it will be an amazing experience and you can quote me on that haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It's the one from the set, just without the pauldron. That being said, I think the only difference between that and the standalone Trooper is the weathering.

Yeah I figured that out after I went back and saw the final image that I just added above. I'm really interested in this set now. :lol

I'm leaning towards getting the set....I have all the stormies to date and Jedha arrived yesterday....looks great to me so the trend will likely continue.

I really like the look of this trooper, especially the backpack, but I already have the ANH Sandtrooper so I don't want basically the same figure in my collection so I'm thinking about switching the orange pauldron out for the black or white one just to have some variety in the display.

Isn't the bitching about the RO Stormtroopers pointless though? To what end really? You all sound like you're somehow entitled to have this **** your way. It's a film with a lot of cooks in the kitchen. Decisions are made both good and bad. Things will never be exactly as you, as a fan, think they should be. Of course you've invested yourselves in this universe. And the years of fandom have obviously given you all some feeling of ownership. But truthfully, you don't have any. And bitching on forums won't make it better. Unless anxiety is your thing. Let it go. Though I know you won't. You can't. You're all a little bit hurt. Well, just don't buy any of the merchandise. That'll show your indignation. But maybe, for the fans that are enjoying the new stuff, give it a rest. Or maybe talk about the presentation of the figures themselves as opposed to the "OT is better" ****. Yeah the OT is always going to be better. It was first. It doesn't just carry the wonder and thrill of the new, but the weight of our childhoods with it and nothing, as an adult fan, can ever match that. You can't go back. Nor should you. And that being said, how many of you noticed the differences, at the time, between the (side by side) stormtrooper stunt and hero helmets in ANH? Or any of the changes in the costumes in ESB or ROTJ? I'm guessing no one. You just loved the films. Just sayin'. I like the figures. And I'll like them even more if RO turns out to be a fun entertaining movie. Which is really what Star Wars should always be about. Entertaining movies. And a little bit of toys too.

I'm a bit more on the fence - I really like the logic of the changes (and I love that it may make for much more physically active stormies compared to the OT, with better visibility and freer rapid movement) and actually like that RO has a subtly distinctive look for its troopers with cleanness and symmetry. I'll be grabbing the orange Jedha single one - I just really like the look of these as a sandie/stormie variant and can't wait to see them in action in RO.

However, you also have to understand that the #1 theme for fan films over the decades has been stormie/sandie movies. They are loved. Their design is up there with Vader as an icon of SW. RO - being so close to ANH - was likely the ONLY opportunity we had to see the iconic OT stormies/sandies on the big screen, EXACTLY as they were in the OT. We've seen "kinda-stormies" for decades now - white armor and black undersuit stormie variants, PT to TFA. So it would have been amazing to have seen the real deal in action on the big screen finally, for a one-time return engagement.

But due to the changes, that won't happen now. It's certainly subtler from a distance, but these guys do indeed look different enough to say "not OT stormies/sandies" to most who have carried the SW torch. The different armor proportions (breast reduction, foreshortened shins, longer torso) and the larger rounded eyes - they do look distinct to an in-the-know fan, especially obvious if placed side-by-side with the OT version.

While it's true there have been not-insignificant variations in OT stormies - ANH hero to stunt, ESB tweaks, the misshapen ROTJ recasts, grey mouth grills becoming black - they all retained the same skull inspired, slit-eyes-and-death-grin menace. The new design softens that, mostly due to the wider, rounder eyes.

The wider issue is that the new stormie look will now also likely become the standard for all Disney merchandising. Just yesterday, I noticed an OT cereal box (that features 3PO, Chewy and R2, so not RO related) that has the RO styling to the helmet. A "stormtrooper" from now on - for Disney general merchandising - will undoubtedly be a RO retconned stormie.

So just as people should dial back the hate a little (RO has to be its own thing, and frankly, the new design has appeal) you also need to stop it with the "quit the whining, powerless fan-boy" ****. This is a little bigger deal than you're making out - as far as SW fandom can be a big deal.:lol

If they had - for better mobility and visibility, and to undo 1970's "limitations" (cited by RO designers at Celebration re: stormies) decided to redo Vader's helmet/armor a bit to make it more "functional", would you have been cool with that? And if that redesign became the standard Vader for all merch? And considering RO ends as ANH begins, would it have made sense because Vader would look so different? Same logic applies to stormies/sandies - we see both in extreme close-up in ANH.

So to say "awww, you're all ****-hurt and your ownership of SW just got flushed" is just the generic "I like them and you don't so get out" **** you see on here all the time - and it ignores the real factors at play in this change.

Back