Hot Toys Star Wars, Missed Out, Now What?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a beautiful piece. I would suggest you look through its thread here to see what the criticisms were (mostly that it felt light weight, but I don't care about that because it looks stunning) so you can make a more informed decision.

Exactly. The Probe Droid is one of SSC's best collectibles. It could almost go into the prop/model section.

Thanks for the replies and discussion.

A few caveats for me. I'm 39, so child of the '80s and fond memories of OT SW, Transformers, He-Man, G.I. Joe, and so on. I've collected all kinds of toy lines from vintage to new over the years. Settled in not long ago trying to buy into what I considered the "best" representation of given properties. So I've been buying TF Masterpiece since MP10. Have a wide array of 25th anniversary Joe (which I may actually dump for Sideshow 1/6 Joes). Masters Classics as well (although maybe sell for Mondo 1/6 Masters for same reasons).

I had originally been looking towards the Black line and such, but the quality of that quickly went south. I want to step up the quality of my collectibles as well. I have the means to do it. Don't think I want to go all the way up to statues, 1/4 scale, and PF though. That gets even more expensive fast plus that stuff is so big. I'd rather have more characters in my display than less and my interests cover too many properties as named plus comics.

I'm waitlisted on as many of HT items as I could. So Luke EX, Leia EX, Ben, and I waitlisted Han and Chewbacca individually as well as the set. Sounds like relying on the waitlist to convert may not be the best option though.

Starting with TFA doesn't work for me as I may never buy those. OT is my desire. I don't think I'd spring for the Falcon cockpit. It's cool, but so big. I don't want to opt for stuff like the Spacetrooper just cause it's available ideally either. Like other have mentioned, it's the classic representation of major characters that is my focus. That means these core ANH releases for me. I may buy various ESB and ROTJ releases too, but not minor alterations. So like Vader, Chewbacca, Stormtrooper etc. I'd just the one ANH version, but I could spring for a ROTJ Jedi Luke or Hoth outfits.

I think I just need to bite the bullet and pay the eBay prices for now. If waitlists converts I guess I can always resell them at a profit to offset my aftermarket overspending. Seems crazy they don't just make more of the sellouts.

I sympathise, my timing is generally awful. In this case I got lucky and when cheeks began to sell out I realised the whole line was headed hat way and jumped on. I now have all of the ANH figures... But I don't own them. Yet! I say that because I stuck them on a credit card that has no interest and payments until later in the year and am gradually paying them down. I would never nmLly d this but I realised that these can only go up in value and if the worst comes to the worst I could always sell them and get back the money to pay off that card. But I want to keep these so I'm bent pretty response si PE about how I pay hem off and won't even allow myself to open a figure until that portion of the debt is paid.

I well understand wanting all the major characters in their ANH outfits. Grab Ben while you can, and Leia when she comes out. Buy the normal Luke and if the WL on the ex converts then buy that and sell the normal one - in a month or so any Luke will be sky high.

As far as Han and Chewie go you may have to wait until HT do another Chewie which I'm sure they will eventually and even a ROTJ Chewie could be combed to look like the ANH Chewie.

As far as Han goes why not build a figure up slowly - buy the pants, vest, belt and shirt when you can find them loose, buy different boots (someone will be able to reccomend a good replacement) buy a loose body and Use the HS fm a Stormtrooper Han when he comes out - which will also give you an OT stormtrooper. If you don't like he Stormtrooper Han sculpt buy it anywAy, sell the head and keep the body and helmet then wait for another good sculpt to come out, which eventually it will. Then you buy a loose head or you buy the whole figure and sell all of it except the head. I'm also certain we'll eventually see another ANH Han, out of all the figures he's the one they're most likely to redo - a character so popular he's getting his own movie.

As far as TFA goes Rey and BB8 will sell out rapidly and command huge prices as will Kylo Ren.

Finally, wait and see what will be released for Rogue One. If you've kept up with the most recent major spoiler there's a good chance HT will do another you-know-who.

Glad i picked up all of the anh line,han and chewie collector sets are selling for £570-$800.
I nearly passed after reading early comments on here.

Never, EVER let others (esp. here) decide for you what's cool and what isn't. Buy what YOU like. There have been so many pieces that went for double/triple their value down the road in spite of others saying it was terrible. Like Obi-Wan said, trust your instincts.

Never, EVER let others (esp. here) decide for you what's cool and what isn't. Buy what YOU like. There have been so many pieces that went for double/triple their value down the road in spite of others saying it was terrible. Like Obi-Wan said, trust your instincts.

:goodpost: :exactly:

Buy what YOU like and want. Not what someone else likes.

At this point I'm buying figures I might want later, since if I decide too late that I want it I'll have to pay a premium if it sells out.

I didnt want to get into Star Wars because I know the hole can go deep but Popcultha's sale last Chistmas time got me, grabbed Han for 190 and Chewy for 205, then immediately bought a Stormtrooper 2 pack then the rest before they sold out (OT only). I did use credit but paid it off before interest could be charged. It was an emergency.

Oh god, what have I done?

I bought a Hot Toys Stormie (off ebay, because I waited too long...)

Now I need more Stormtroopers, desperately need a Leia and already have a Luke Stormtrooper disguise on it's way.
I will clearly be needing a Vader, a classic Han and...oh god it goes on! and that's even before I discovered the Art Figures "Heavy armored Cop / Dredd" online!!

I'll be ruined!!!

I didnt want to get into Star Wars because I know the hole can go deep but Popcultha's sale last Chistmas time got me, grabbed Han for 190 and Chewy for 205, then immediately bought a Stormtrooper 2 pack then the rest before they sold out (OT only). I did use credit but paid it off before interest could be charged. It was an emergency.

Yeah popcultcha was an awesome get over the holidays for the ST collection. I snagged 2 Han/chewie two packs and Obi wan during the glitch sale and was able to stack 20% off pennies on all 3. They came out to be around $600 Total. It was $230 for each set and Obi was like $140. Also grabbed ST disguise Luke for $200, Darth Vader for $230 and a sandtrooper for $190 all shipped.

Need another PC glitch sale when Empire figures come out later this year.:pray:

So been a long time SW fan and toy collector and was watching closely as Hot Toys picked up the license. Debated back and forth to buy in or not on the 1/6 line. Now I'm finding I do want in and the ship has started to sale.

Stormtroopers, Han, Chewbacca, Obi-Wan, and others plus various EX versions are all out of stock now. eBay prices on a Han/Chewbacca set are a good $300 more than the original retail. I've waitlisted everything I could this week with Sideshow, but I haven't bought from Sideshow before and am not sure how reliable the waitlist is at this point.

Ideally some of the 1/6 sell out prices are driven up due to TFA being hot right now and could stand to settle back down. TFAs release makes this an even worse time to be after marketing SW items.

So, I'm curious what others with experience in this market think:

Will these waitlists come in with any reliability?
Do you think the after market prices will settle down, remain flat, or continue to climb?

I'm also curious about buying HT items off eBay. Some are advertised as new/sealed but coming from Asia. Is there risk of bootlegs or other issues with HT with these? Any way to know for certain you're getting 100% original goods?

Anyone else in the same boat as me on this?

Thanks!

Hi pal,

Somewhat the same situation here! But for me I only start collecting these kinda masterpiece early this year. Started with TFA stormie and paid premium for quite a number of stormie which I have not managed to secure (during pre-order period). Below are my purchases so far, should be able to form a squadron after the officer is released.

IMG_5098[1].jpg

I have to admit that I let this influence me as well. When the OT figures were first announced and pictured, I really thought they looked great. So I started really learning about the SS/HT and 1/6 market which I hadn't paid as much attention too before. Then there was a time many of the OT HT were getting run down prior to release and that tempered my interest. If I was going to spend so much on these figures, I wanted to buy something great and the voice of the community seemed to be turning negative at that time. Another lesson learned.

Hi pal,

Somewhat the same situation here! But for me I only start collecting these kinda masterpiece early this year. Started with TFA stormie and paid premium for quite a number of stormie which I have not managed to secure (during pre-order period). Below are my purchases so far, should be able to form a squadron after the officer is released.

View attachment 241765

Now you just need a Kylo to go along with all these troopers.

I've been on the fence about getting Darth Vader since they'll probably release a more deluxe ROTJ version of him with the unmasked option. But I figure that I don't think I'd ever display him unmasked, and I don't really need the extra stuff. Also - SW figures are going quick, and I definitely don't want to pay 2nd market prices. So I gave in and placed a "pre-order" on SSC. Isn't he already released? How long will it take for them to fill my order?

Back