HOT TOYS STAR WARS licence?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Will Hot Toys ever get the SW license?

I think you might need to brush up on the concept of LICENCING.

Alot of people are doing price comparions on Sideshow Star Wars vs standard HT figures - its worth remember that there has been suggestions that the Star Wars licence was a bit more expensive and hence there was a bump in price due to that as well. So add another $10 - $15 onto your HT price if you really want to compare like with like.

It'd be considerably more than $10-$15 difference. With LFL licensing, and both Hasbro and Sideshow royalties, you'd be looking at $180 for bare bones figures to $200+ for Vader and armored characters for HT SW figures.

To me the best thing about Sideshow is offering characters/things like Antilles, Praji, Endor Troopers, Bubo, Mechno-Chair and such.

Generally all the unexpected choices from the movies.:clap

Also, the ones hardly anyone wants.

An HT SW line would likely consist only of:

Luke
Han
Leia
Chewbacca
3PO
R2
Obi-Wan
Darth Vader
Stormtrooper
Sandtrooper
Biker Scout
Emperor
Yoda

Obi-Wan
Anakin Skywalker
Padme
Darth Maul
Yoda
Phase 1 Clones
Phase 2 Clones
Clone Commanders

With possibilities of Qui-Gon, Dooku and Grievous.

You forgot the Fetts

I think you might need to brush up on the concept of LICENCING.

Alot of people are doing price comparions on Sideshow Star Wars vs standard HT figures - its worth remember that there has been suggestions that the Star Wars licence was a bit more expensive and hence there was a bump in price due to that as well. So add another $10 - $15 onto your HT price if you really want to compare like with like.

I don't need to. HT would obviously only get a crack at it, once Sideshows agreement expires. What my comment was saying is that you, the collector, can still proudly own the various Sideshow sculpts, and still get HT versions of the main characters. No reason they could not be displayed side by side. Sideshow won't keep producing figures forever. The more obscure the characters get, the less they will sell, and we all know they will eventually get to re-sculpts of figures they have already done, and sales will drop off there as well.

As for Price, I'm not sure how much the license costs, but I am sure it is probably the most expensive license out there, and yes, that would reflect in a higher final cost. That would be another reason why only primary characters would sell.

I don't need to. HT would obviously only get a crack at it, once Sideshows agreement expires. What my comment was saying is that you, the collector, can still proudly own the various Sideshow sculpts, and still get HT versions of the main characters. No reason they could not be displayed side by side. Sideshow won't keep producing figures forever. The more obscure the characters get, the less they will sell, and we all know they will eventually get to re-sculpts of figures they have already done, and sales will drop off there as well.

As for Price, I'm not sure how much the license costs, but I am sure it is probably the most expensive license out there, and yes, that would reflect in a higher final cost. That would be another reason why only primary characters would sell.

:lol:rotfl:lol:rotfl:lol Have you been paying attention to what Sideshow's released? They're very cleverly releasing obscure characters repeatedly with an A-lister coming once every 6-months to a year (sometimes we get lucky and get 3 or more a year). There are still plenty of key characters they have yet to make, thus ensuring the longevity and relevance of the line for many years to come. :lol

thus ensuring the longevity and relevance of the line for many years to come. :lol

Thats why I agree with Puay in that releasing obscure guys is a good thing. It allows folks that think man I'd love to get a figure like that a chance to get one, and then as the others come through folks to get the "main" ones.

It seems pretty selfish (I know what section this is :lol) to just go with they shouldn't make the obscure guys just because "some" folks don't think they should be. If they didn't blend and mix well enough this line would be pretty boring honestly. Especially when you consider the depth of characters one can touch upon with a license like this.

PS:I'm agreeing with you. Just random spitballing thoughts. :lol

:lol:rotfl:lol:rotfl:lol Have you been paying attention to what Sideshow's released? They're very cleverly releasing obscure characters repeatedly with an A-lister coming once every 6-months to a year (sometimes we get lucky and get 3 or more a year). There are still plenty of key characters they have yet to make, thus ensuring the longevity and relevance of the line for many years to come. :lol

I'm talking long term, not the next couple of years. It may be 5 or 6 years away, granted, but Sideshow won't keep producing forever.

And, if I am representational of other collectors, which I think I may be, I am getting a little tired of Sideshow's figures. Their Clones are awesome, and I can't wait to get a Momaw Nadon, but I find myself less than excited about their main characters, simply cause I know they could be done better. I also cancelled my Gamorrean Guard, while it looks good, it just doesn't excite me.

Thats why I agree with Puay in that releasing obscure guys is a good thing. It allows folks that think man I'd love to get a figure like that a chance to get one, and then as the others come through folks to get the "main" ones.

It seems pretty selfish (I know what section this is :lol) to just go with they shouldn't make the obscure guys just because "some" folks don't think they should be. If they didn't blend and mix well enough this line would be pretty boring honestly. Especially when you consider the depth of characters one can touch upon with a license like this.

PS:I'm agreeing with you. Just random spitballing thoughts. :lol

I hear ya. While I've stopped being a completist, there are still figures I'm dying to see (Shadow Trooper) that most here could give two ____s or a ____ about. This is why I'm glad Sideshow's making them and not HT with their ADD and higher prices.

I'm talking long term, not the next couple of years. It may be 5 or 6 years away, granted, but Sideshow won't keep producing forever.

And, if I am representational of other collectors, which I think I may be, I am getting a little tired of Sideshow's figures. Their Clones are awesome, and I can't wait to get a Momaw Nadon, but I find myself less than excited about their main characters, simply cause I know they could be done better. I also cancelled my Gamorrean Guard, while it looks good, it just doesn't excite me.

I'm not talking about 5-6 years down the road either. Look how long it took for us to get Vader. Still no Boba, 3PO, R2, Chewie, etc. Sideshow's pacing this line well past the 10 year mark.

I hear ya. While I've stopped being a completist, there are still figures I'm dying to see (Shadow Trooper) that most here could give two ____s or a ____ about. This is why I'm glad Sideshow's making them and not HT with their ADD and higher prices.

Yeah, I stopped that a while back myself. Its not good for collecting to be that way honestly. I'd take a shadow trooper. I like the look and design. Its like I know its not movie but I'd take a Starkiller 1:6th. It would look cool but that will get me shot I'm sure. :lol

HT Makes great stuff. Their Military figures are nice and of course I'm loving the Iron Man stuff. However, I don't know with SW if they would be willing to go as far into all the characters SW has. So thats why I'm totally happy SS has it cause they do a great job and hit everything or will that fans can want.

Apparently my thread was deleted... I'm not sure why this thread would be anymore relevant then the God version. :huh

Apparently my thread was deleted... I'm not sure why this thread would be anymore relevant then the God version. :huh

It was God who deleted your thread, He was angry you questioning His ability to make toys. Next time He will delete you :lol

godh.jpg

It was God who deleted your thread, He was angry you questioning His ability to make toys. Next time He will delete you :lol

godh.jpg

God would have to pass through San Francisco first. Trust me, he won't do it. :lol

I'm not talking about 5-6 years down the road either. Look how long it took for us to get Vader. Still no Boba, 3PO, R2, Chewie, etc. Sideshow's pacing this line well past the 10 year mark.

It looks like we will be getting a Boba Fett next year, which of course means a Jango Fett will follow soon after. Sideshow basically said 2011 is the year of the Bounty Hunter (on a different site)

As far as Chewie goes, he is 85% of why I want HT to do Star Wars.

It looks like we will be getting a Boba Fett next year, which of course means a Jango Fett will follow soon after. Sideshow basically said 2011 is the year of the Bounty Hunter (on a different site)

As far as Chewie goes, he is 85% of why I want HT to do Star Wars.

When Boba is released has absolutely no bearing on when we'll see Jango. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't at all be surprised if Boba was released with Jango held off for a year, or two, or more. Though, I thought the way it was worded in the Q&A was that we'd see Jango first.

I'd say probably 6 months to a year between Jango/Boba. They'll be close together but not so close that its back to back.

Nah we get 4 joes a year. Thats shorter than 6 months. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back