Hot Toys Spider-Man (Black Suit) - Spider-Man 3

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hold on. I'm not a comics Venom lore expert or anything, so I have to ask this: is that head the symbiote's default humanoid appearance (with the eyes and sharp teeth)? Or does it only learn to take that shape when bonded with Brock? I always assumed their shared hatred and evil nature created the sinister "Venom" appearance, so it doesn't make sense for it to have that face with Peter.

Seems HT took some liberties with this. Not that I mind the inclusion.
Originally, in the comics, Venom took that form after bonded with Eddie purely as a distortion of the look Spider-Man has, taking the "perfect host"'s appearance and making it more dangerous and intimidating due to the shared hatred the symbiote and Eddie shared for Peter. Since then, the other symbiote designs we've seen have mostly been direct offspring of Venom, ie Carnage, Riot, etc., which explains why they look like Spider-Man with sharp teeth (copying Venom's look due to being direct descendants). The standalone movie is the only piece of media I can think of that has Venom and the other symbiotes look like that without any link to Spider-Man, and outside of that film, they probably take on whatever appearance most strongly resonates with their host, without the distortion of the teeth and tongue and such.

If only we got that in 07 we wouldn’t have been so disappointed. Cause let’s be honest. We may love sm3 now for nostalgia reasons but when it first came out everything about it was disappointing and this included venom. Still I would get a hot toy of him
We almost did. They were gonna use an animatronic rig for Venom which had a closer comic design before they switched to CGI.

9w4ZI3p.jpg
OFd6TXG.jpg

f4Bz9KM.jpg

Agreed. Actually resemble what's in the movie and not some fan made design that they came up with.

The only other "Peter Venom" design that's in the movie is the one that was cut from the final movie where he sees it in the mirror for a split second.

spider_man_3_deleted_scene.png

terrifying-prototype-venom-suit-from-spider-man-3-v0-ismoq1afcl8a1.jpg
That's actually kinda creepy, I like it. I do like the idea of the symbiote Spider-Man mask just transforming at the mouth area to show a normal human mouth and teeth. Shame they cut that scene.

Originally, in the comics, Venom took that form after bonded with Eddie purely as a distortion of the look Spider-Man has, taking the "perfect host"'s appearance and making it more dangerous and intimidating due to the shared hatred the symbiote and Eddie shared for Peter. Since then, the other symbiote designs we've seen have mostly been direct offspring of Venom, ie Carnage, Riot, etc., which explains why they look like Spider-Man with sharp teeth (copying Venom's look due to being direct descendants). The standalone movie is the only piece of media I can think of that has Venom and the other symbiotes look like that without any link to Spider-Man, and outside of that film, they probably take on whatever appearance most strongly resonates with their host, without the distortion of the teeth and tongue and such.

Yeah that's what I always assumed. Thanks for the breakdown. So the Venom movie just works with the concept that Venom just looks like that by default (on a human host), because Riot takes a very similar form as Venom without interacting with Brock. Kinda diminishes the symbiote as a concept, imo.

The Venom head popping out attachment, was that ever in the movie? And the other symbiote alien head (featured in the church scene), why is that the "Special Edition"?

We almost did. They were gonna use an animatronic rig for Venom which had a closer comic design before they switched to CGI.

9w4ZI3p.jpg
OFd6TXG.jpg

f4Bz9KM.jpg
I remember it well my friend. That first leaked comic con trailer and the animatronic. The figures that came out that were crappy and had purple venom. I remember the constant leaks and toy leaks. Man that was an epic time. The sm3 hype and the dark knight hype will never be topped for me ever.

This was in my top figures I wanted from HT wishlist lol, I almost can't believe they're making it. Can't wait to see the Bully Maguire memes in 1/6 lol

I mean they're not even using the Venom head design that's in the movie. :lol It's closer to the Hardy Venom or Comic Inspired Venom. It makes no sense.

vn9q2oK.png

1490866208-venom-spider-man-3.jpg

Yea, the included symbiote head definitely looks more Hardy Venom than Spiderman 3 Venom.

Even when the symbiote was sort of a "floating" creature, the head didn't look like what HT is including.

Symbiote.jpg

Symbiote2.jpg

Symbiote3.jpg

I remember it well my friend. That first leaked comic con trailer and the animatronic. The figures that came out that were crappy and had purple venom. I remember the constant leaks and toy leaks. Man that was an epic time. The sm3 hype and the dark knight hype will never be topped for me ever.
I was actually thinking something similar to this last night. With Hayden playing Anakin again it got me thinking about the ROTS hype back in 2005. That and the TDK hype were insane, a lost era of cinema. Nothing will achieve that ever again.

Yea, the included symbiote head definitely looks more Hardy Venom than Spiderman 3 Venom.

Even when the symbiote was sort of a "floating" creature, the head didn't look like what HT is including.

View attachment 664300

View attachment 664301
View attachment 664302
There's also various aspects that are very unique to Raimi's Venom. More normal human sized head, short/thin teeths, eye design, webbing and unlike your usual Venom, his tongue was normal sized, never extending outwards from his teeth to do his usual long tongue shenanigans.

Very odd for them to just do a fan made design instead of taking notes from the movie. Not sure why they did. Something more closer to the movie would have been nice and I even quite like the Venom head design they're using on this figure. It just doesn't really fit for this and comes off random.

Dp9FzjK.png

mepPBT0.png

BR3aVeo.png
jDoatQN.png

tFewxsZ.png

yBJtDXh.png

MzV1cN3.png

YxBrsw6.png

The symbiote head looks closer to the promo Venom design than anything else.
It doesn't even match that. The promo Venom has a very thin, narrow and small jaw, with the same short/thin teeth and somewhat short tongue while using the Raimi Venom eyes.

I think Hot Toys just said **** it and did their own version of a comic inspired Venom head for zero reason.

I mean they're not even using the Venom head design that's in the movie. :lol It's closer to the Hardy Venom or Comic Inspired Venom. It makes no sense.

vn9q2oK.png

1490866208-venom-spider-man-3.jpg
A shot of Topher Venom with his tongue showing
1000008924.jpg

Yeah it's definitley more Hardy Venom

It's still not perfect though, I don't know why they can't just use the same stretch fabric that the real suit was made from.

The James Acheson designed Spider-Man suits were made of spandex which is reasonably expensive and might be why HT don’t use it.

If only we got that in 07 we wouldn’t have been so disappointed. Cause let’s be honest. We may love sm3 now for nostalgia reasons but when it first came out everything about it was disappointing and this included venom. Still I would get a hot toy of him
Nope. I always loved Spider-man 3. As soon as i saw it, I knew it wasn't as good as Spider-man 2, and had more flaws than Spider-man 1, but Spider-man 2 was a damn masterpiece. SM3 has all the same Sam Raimi magic, incredible action sequences, great cast, characters I actually care about who feel like real people and not like quip machines, an incredible score, a really good tragic villain in Sandman, a decent but rushed evil villain in Venom, and a great arc for Peter. He may have acted Emo and had some funny dance scenes, which were meant to be funny, but he also had some really dark moments like killing Sandman, hitting MJ and blowing Harry's face off. I can't see MCU Peter blowing Ned's face off, they wouldn't dare.

So many great sequences: Sandman birth scene, Black Spidey's first swing, emo dance, skyscraper crane rescue, Harry and Peter fight scenes (both), Sandman and Peter subway fight, Eddie becoming Venom, Harry and Peter Teamup, etc. Spider-man 3 rocks, always has. So much better than the vast majority of Comic book movies.

I love this forum.

The initial excitement of the announcement always turns into a frenzy of picking apart inaccurate details half a day later. You can set your clock by it.

Questions are asked, theories posited, jokes told. Screen caps, digital assets, prop comparisons, marketing materials, behind the scenes anecdotes, and everything in-between are thrown onto the table.

This is the nitpicking minutia scrutinizing I live for.

Never change. Godspeed, Freaks.

That's actually kinda creepy, I like it. I do like the idea of the symbiote Spider-Man mask just transforming at the mouth area to show a normal human mouth and teeth. Shame they cut that scene.

Yeah that's what I always assumed. Thanks for the breakdown. So the Venom movie just works with the concept that Venom just looks like that by default (on a human host), because Riot takes a very similar form as Venom without interacting with Brock. Kinda diminishes the symbiote as a concept, imo.
Yeah, I genuinely enjoy the Hardy movies for what they are, but they definitely have issues regarding the lore and designs due to what they were and weren't allowed to carry over from the comics. It's not quite as cool that Venom just looks like that rather than initially basing its design off of the host and then later distorting it due to their falling out, it just implies that all symbiotes have the big eyes and mouths and teeth and their only differences are their colors and exact body shape alongside their exact abilities. Like, if a symbiote latched onto an alien, or a gorilla, or something else that wasn't quite human, it should look different imo, and that's not even considering that Venom didn't originally take design cues from the human body, but rather Spider-Man.

Back