Hot toys Snowspeeder Pilot Luke Skywalker

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where is that Toribox/Yunsil Han Bespin figure? On here or FB?

ST doesn't go unsold due to hate - it's a lack of love.

The weird thing is, it's really ONLY the Reys and Kylos that did sell like HT SW figures "should." BB-8 did to some degree, though he was mostly sold as Rey accessory and I did see him available for a long time (partly due to stuff like the RC version.)

Old Han and Luke from TFA did sell, though pretty slowly - I recall seeing that TFA Han/Chewy two pack in stock years later and the the TLJ Leia and Luke versions (Crait less so) seem to have become pegwarmers too. And the older OT hero versions also obviously have appeal to OT-only fans, so harder to categorize them as ST only.

tbh, other than Rey and Kylo, it's really only the lobster guards that did seem to sell reasonably fast from the ST line-up, maybe because they were 95% a specialized version of the ROTJ Royal Guards.

It's interesting there there were so few 1/6 versions of so many ST major supporting characters you'd expect like Snoke, Hux, Poe, Maz, Rose, even the "cool creatures" like the Simon Pegg alien. Since the Kenner 12-back, SW has always been as much about figs of cool supporting characters as the leads.
On the Custom One Sixth forum.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

He did create Star Wars thinking in the story and the toys\merchandising, the good guys uses blue and the bad red, this is a marketing choice.

That's the most naive comparison I've ever heard.

He literally owns a trademark on the term ?lightsaber?.

Do you think that all happened before Star Wars became a monster hit?

Read this: https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1997-02-06-fi-25849-story.html
Basically this is what made him a visionary millionaire

How is that article different from what I said?

Listen, I've seen a million documentaries too. None of them have said that Lucas made the original Star Wars because of the merchandise and in almost all of them Lucas' expectations were that he made a Disney movie that would gross about $35 million just as most Disney movies did at the time. And at the time, there was no real money to be made in toys. Merchandise, yes -- posters, towels, lunchboxes. But again, he did not foresee the windfall of Star Wars. I don't know where you get that.

He did create Star Wars thinking in the story and the toys\merchandising, the good guys uses blue and the bad red, this is a marketing choice.

cab97cab0a52c9e6739c26f026c7c3c8.gif

Thats is exactly what George Lucas did after a New Hope, the only difference between Star Wars and Power Rangers as a franchise is the format to tell a history but they both were made to sell toys and merchandising.

e6ee3518ec1ff42520d1e9845ba3f96a.gif

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

...this thread sure is turning into one of those threads I should stay clear of [emoji51]

Ha. I agree... But then was compelled to add a reply :)

Nobody knew the toys were going to be what they were. Nobody. Famously offered to Mego as they were the biggest figure maker in the US. They passed on it. Then General Mills took it up and even they didn't get it right at the beginning and ended up selling vouchers to give kids at Christmas telling them they'd get figures and a display stand sometime the following year. Budgets were tight all over the place on SW and the studios weren't stupid. If they'd known that the toys would be worth what they were would they really have just let George have the rights to the merchandising? So one of the biggest toy figure makers in the world and one of the biggest movie studios in the world didn't think it was worth it but without almost 45 years hindsight George knew it and made it with toys specifically in mind?

Nobody knew the toys were going to be what they were. Nobody. Famously offered to Mego as they were the biggest figure maker in the US. They passed on it. Then General Mills took it up and even they didn't get it right at the beginning and ended up selling vouchers to give kids at Christmas telling them they'd get figures and a display stand sometime the following year. Budgets were tight all over the place on SW and the studios weren't stupid. If they'd known that the toys would be worth what they were would they really have just let George have the rights to the merchandising? So one of the biggest toy figure makers in the world and one of the biggest movie studios in the world didn't think it was worth it but without almost 45 years hindsight George knew it and made it with toys specifically in mind?

:) ...I?m sure he specifically meant after ANH. Since 1977 SW has been big business. Can?t be denied, but sure, before that it was (more or less) pure heart. I will claim that the heart has never left the franchise.

That's the most naive comparison I've ever heard.

Do you think that all happened before Star Wars became a monster hit?

How is that article different from what I said?

Listen, I've seen a million documentaries too. None of them have said that Lucas made the original Star Wars because of the merchandise and in almost all of them Lucas' expectations were that he made a Disney movie that would gross about $35 million just as most Disney movies did at the time. And at the time, there was no real money to be made in toys. Merchandise, yes -- posters, towels, lunchboxes. But again, he did not foresee the windfall of Star Wars. I don't know where you get that.
Hell. One only needs to go as far to watch the Kenner Star Wars episode of the Toys that made us or even the "Plastic Galaxy" documentary to understand this.

1977 was never about the Toys. Nobody wanted to touch it. Kenner took it because all the other toy companies passed on it.

Hell. One only needs to go as far to watch the Kenner Star Wars episode of the Toys that made us or even the "Plastic Galaxy" documentary to understand this.

1977 was never about the Toys. Nobody wanted to touch it. Kenner took it because all the other toy companies passed on it.

I can't recommend enough The toys that made us. Really good series. Some movies/series began as a promo for toys, SW isn't that case.

And to add, we might not even have Masters of the Universe because of Star Wars. After Mattel passed on SW they kicked themselves. Hard. And so they began thinking up their own "Universe" to compete. Masters was born from this concept.

Ironic that the franchise that kicked off the great pop culture attachment to toys is the franchise getting shafted the most by the company that makes the best version of those toys.

I?m curious though were the Japanese already ahead of the curve with toys before Star Wars with their Shogun Warriors line or was that because of Star Wars as well.

Go Speed Racer Go lol

Where is my HT Shmii dammit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

General Mills vouchers?

Cereal company?

ST doesn't go unsold due to hate - it's a lack of love.

The weird thing is, it's really ONLY the Reys and Kylos that did sell like HT SW figures "should." BB-8 did to some degree, though he was mostly sold as Rey accessory and I did see him available for a long time (partly due to stuff like the RC version.)

Old Han and Luke from TFA did sell, though pretty slowly - I recall seeing that TFA Han/Chewy two pack in stock years later and the the TLJ Leia and Luke versions (Crait less so) seem to have become pegwarmers too. And the older OT hero versions also obviously have appeal to OT-only fans, so harder to categorize them as ST only.

tbh, other than Rey and Kylo, it's really only the lobster guards that did seem to sell reasonably fast from the ST line-up, maybe because they were 95% a specialized version of the ROTJ Royal Guards.

It's interesting there were so few 1/6 versions of ST major supporting characters you'd expect like Snoke, Hux, Poe, Maz, Rose, even the "cool creatures" like the Simon Pegg alien. Since the Kenner 12-back, SW has always been as much about figs of cool supporting characters as the leads.

I think it?s clear HT overproduced figures for TFA. People bought them, just not in the droves they were expecting. A lot of the troopers that are warming shelves still also have those awful rubber under-suits that make them difficult to pose. They were very hesitant to produce more figures for TLJ and RoS after sales of TFA not meeting their predicted hype.

The same thing happened with the PT. An *** ton of merchandise sat around warming shelves/pegs after they hit the theater. Eventually fans came around and/or new fans came on board. The Clone Wars series helped with the PT popularity as well. If HT had been in a place to make PT figures as that point in time you would have seen the same thing happen. Sure Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Darth Maul, and others would have sold but the clone soldiers and lesser characters wouldn?t have moved so quickly.

I think it?s clear HT overproduced figures for TFA. People bought them, just not in the droves they were expecting. A lot of the troopers that are warming shelves still also have those awful rubber under-suits that make them difficult to pose. They were very hesitant to produce more figures for TLJ and RoS after sales of TFA not meeting their predicted hype.

The same thing happened with the PT. An *** ton of merchandise sat around warming shelves/pegs after they hit the theater. Eventually fans came around and/or new fans came on board. The Clone Wars series helped with the PT popularity as well. If HT had been in a place to make PT figures as that point in time you would have seen the same thing happen. Sure Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Darth Maul, and others would have sold but the clone soldiers and lesser characters wouldn?t have moved so quickly.

Wait didn?t the SS clone troopers sell like crazy.

Or did they sit around.

General Mills vouchers?

Cereal company?

General Mills Fun Group owned Kenner and Parker. They licensed the toys to Palitoy, Poch/PBP, Lily Ledy etc. The lack of toys meant the Early Bird certificate package. So maybe more of a certificate than a voucher, but kind of the same thing.

General Mills Fun Group owned Kenner and Parker. They licensed the toys to Palitoy, Poch/PBP, Lily Ledy etc. The lack of toys meant the Early Bird certificate package. So maybe more of a certificate than a voucher, but kind of the same thing.

Wasn?t aware GM owned Kenner cool

Wait didn?t the SS clone troopers sell like crazy.

Or did they sit around.

Everything sideshow sold out early on. I remember old Ben crashing the sideshow website. The clones killed the sideshow line imo. Everything was Clone after Clone. That?s when they stopped selling out right away. People got sick of buying the same repaint on floppy bodies.
They did make some great background characters like the probe droid, tusken, greedo...
Then hot toys came along.

Back