Hot Toys Snake Predator cometh - - WIP

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilentSurfer

Good Enough Never Is!
CF Supporter
Reaction score
Hot Toys Snake Predator cometh - - FINISHED!!!

I used to think this paint job would be simple, but the more I got into it, the more I realized, "Damn, there's a lot going on here." This is one intricate paint job, and I'm not surprised if this is why Hot Toys hasn't done it yet. I thought I'd be done with this by now, but it's a tough one, and I couldn't wait to share it.

I was commissioned by Predatorje to make a Snake Pred out of his P2. He had already done it himself, but he didn't like the results. Here is what he had done.

Picture025.jpg

Picture026.jpg

I gathered all the reference pics I could get, and there weren't many.

Body.jpg

LeftHead.jpg

I even screen captured and lightened a couple of my own.

cap114.jpg

BTW, Argibay, those are in fact furs he has on his belt and over his right shoulder.

Back5.jpg

While doing this project, I decided to go ahead and do a Snake for myself as well. But instead of using a P2 or Lost head, I decided to take the old vinyl cast I got of the P1, modify the mandibles with the Lost tusks, and use a spare P2 head to eventually give it the correct, short dreads.

Picture016.jpg

Picture020.jpg

You can see in this photo that I've puttied all the seams and where all the mouth parts were repositioned, and I even ground off all the sculpted on quills which will be replaced later with AVP Elder quills, unless I find something a little finer than those.

Picture029.jpg

Since Argibay is waiting so patiently for his Snake to get done, I thought I'd focus on his most to begin with. Except for the dreads which will come from a spare P2 head he had, his Snake head (a P2) is done. You can see it at the body's right shoulder. Also in this pic is my head on the left, and a lost head from Darthjuan on the right which will be getting the same Snake treatment. Only the base tones are on those yet.

HPIM6063.jpg

Last edited:
Here's another pic. I have the whole body pattern mapped out. Now I have to go back, darken the edges to define it more, add black spots, blue veins, and general mottling to make it look natural.

HPIM6066.jpg

More to come...

Looking good so far. So you're using a HT P1 Body and a HT P2 head correct? I always wonder if the two head sculpts were different sizes. Being that the Ht P1 body is much smaller than previous HT Preds.

Eventually, I'll be using a P1 on my Snake, since the head I'm using in the more accurate P1 (mostly) design. The body in the pics above is the P2 body for the P2 head already painted.

Damn...I think the open mouth looks better than the closed one. I should have picked the open mouth.:( But ohhhh well, It's going to look great either way!! Keep up the picks:D:D

Here's another pic. I have the whole body pattern mapped out. Now I have to go back, darken the edges to define it more, add black spots, blue veins, and general mottling to make it look natural.

HPIM6066.jpg

More to come...

That is siiiiick!! The finished product is gonna look great Nathan.

My god you do fantastic work! The paint work is so subtle, yet also clean and well defined. Can't wait to see more of this one :rock

Thank you all.

Here's a couple updated pics of the body. I've finished deepening and spotting the brown patterns. I'll be doing random spots and veins next. Sorry for the crappy lighting from the window next to my work station. I'll take controlled lighting pics later when painting is done, and he's all glossed up.
HPIM6072.jpg

Because Snake's ass hangs out, like most of the Lost Preds, it was necessary to detail that too.
HPIM6073.jpg

DAMN Nathan. Even with the couple of preds that you have customized for me, I still can't get over how awesome your work is.

It's all about happy customers. I also learn more with each project and try to up my game each time. The only part of this that sucks is not being able to keep all the cool stuff I make. -sigh-

I can imagine that would sort of hurt. Your custom threads are some serious eye candy. I love this board!!!

Back