Hot Toys Sandtrooper MMS 295

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I assume the Sandtrooper and the standard trooper have the exact same sculpt. I don't see why they would hire a sculptor to redo work.

Then you assume wrongly.

In terms of it being possibly larger than the standard helmet, for me it's primarily the bottom section being wider. You can see the back section sticking out more at the bottom.

I assume the Sandtrooper and the standard trooper have the exact same sculpt. I don't see why they would hire a sculptor to redo work.

We went over this a while back. The sculpt has some differences; the helmets as seen on-screen are different and Hot Toys took some trouble to replicate that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then you assume wrongly.

In terms of it being possibly larger than the standard helmet, for me it's primarily the bottom section being wider. You can see the back section sticking out more at the bottom.

It's exactly the back section being a bit wider that is throwing me off. Thanks. So you're saying in the movie they are wider?

In the film there were a handful of "hero" helmets for close-ups, and many "stunt" helmets for background. You can google the differences.

Additionally, individual helmets had different brow trims and "ear" thickness due to assembly differences.

Edit: By "ear" I mean the area you're referring to as wider.

Both HT helmets are quite good, but both are slightly off. That said, their Sandtrooper helmet is better, and in fact the best 1/6 yet made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Finally got around to getting a second one. Should be here by end-of-week and I'm stoked to add him. I think until the almost inevitable variants get released, I may set this one up as a black-pauldron trooper; I have a Shadow-trooper pauldron kicking around.

After dithering back and forth on this guy (I'm actually really limiting the amount of OT HTs I get) I took the plunge and got him from BBTS. The pics just look too cool.

The 'teeth' look wider on the sand trooper. How would you de-weather a Sandtrooper, specifically the helmet? Rubbing alcohol? I prefer that helmet and would like to remove the weathering on a loose one and a loose piece of chest armour that I've bought so that I can turn the space trooper into a regular trooper sometimes.

After dithering back and forth on this guy (I'm actually really limiting the amount of OT HTs I get) I took the plunge and got him from BBTS. The pics just look too cool.

Excellent decision. This is one of HT's best. I'm keeping things really limited too, and feel it's a must-have.

The 'teeth' look wider on the sand trooper. How would you de-weather a Sandtrooper, specifically the helmet? Rubbing alcohol? I prefer that helmet and would like to remove the weathering on a loose one and a loose piece of chest armour that I've bought so that I can turn the space trooper into a regular trooper sometimes.

Doing the same thing I've had some success with rubbing alcohol but I'm finding Airbrush thinner/cleaner works better. Go slowly and carefully.

Excellent decision. This is one of HT's best. I'm keeping things really limited too, and feel it's a must-have.

Doing the same thing I've had some success with rubbing alcohol but I'm finding Airbrush thinner/cleaner works better. Go slowly and carefully.

Thanks. And how do you limit an OT collection? I can understand a limited TFA collection but I couldn't have most of the ANH characters but miss a couple out.

Thanks. And how do you limit an OT collection? I can understand a limited TFA collection but I couldn't have most of the ANH characters but miss a couple out.

Brutality. :rotfl

Seriously.

In practice that means tight focus and non-completism. For me personally, I don't want a "Star Wars" collection so much as a pop-culture collection. SW will still have more pieces but I don't want it to overwhelm.

My minimalist OCD trumps collector OCD every time. ;)

I'll freely admit it would be harder if every single HT piece were perfect. They're still generally the best ever made, don't get me wrong, but some are better than others.

EDIT: I sold DX07 because it didn't match the overall colour scheme I was going for. I'm that crazy.

All you need is Luke and Vader. That's it.

Any other character, at $200+ a pop, is sheer lunacy and infantile craziness.

I myself have every character. *sucks thumb*

All you need is Luke and Vader. That's it.

Any other character, at $200+ a pop, is sheer lunacy and infantile craziness.

I myself have every character. *sucks thumb*

Infantile craziness aside, one Luke Skywalker would do it. Vader would be pushing it. But personally if forced to choose, I'd rather have a Sandtrooper than any Vader. Comes down to taste. And ... infantile craziness.

After seeing the pics over the previous thread pages a Sandtrooper has been ordered. Hey, you have to have a trooper in your SW collection...right?!

Below is my final pose for now.

Now I have a question to the Star Wars experts: Is it me or is the helmet oversized? Maybe I got used to much to my sideshow stormtrooper (which had a slightly smaller head (or bigger body, who knows). i assume Hot Toys is more accurate to the movie?

View attachment 240858
View attachment 240857

Yes, the helmet is larger depending on the size of the body. The HT trooper is thin, not muscular. If the armor was put on a larger body it would look different. So the helmet is proportional if it actually went over a large head, like the Move along trooper, which this one is..so it's perfect because you can upsize a body for a custom look if you want and not have a tiny helmet.

I have photos of the helmet on a muscular Marmit and it looks smaller...pic to follow.

Back