Hot Toys Sandtrooper MMS 295

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With some regret, I passed on HT Old Ben and Chewie.

I wasn't planning on going down the SW path but as a fan from the day of ANH I couldn't resist; unfortunately I had to pass on HAN because everything was coming out at the same time...but I got Obi-Wan and Chewie. I'm hoping another HT Han will be in the making someday.

Yes you do. Wise choice. This guy rules.

Looking forward to futzing with this guy, he looks awesome. Several reviews I've seen mentions the lack of a magnet to assist in keeping the backpack up, I'm curious to see if one/two couldn't be used without a major mod cause the straps alone are a little worrisome.

...he's got to be fully packed out to scale down the size of his melon.

hqdefault.jpg

Heed...dewn...new!

The helmet is perfect. It's one of the only Hot Toys helmets that's scaled to enclose a human head realistically and matches up well with helmets seen on film. These were skinny '70s British dudes wearing buckets on their heads.

The helmet is perfect. It's one of the only Hot Toys helmets that's scaled to enclose a human head realistically and matches up well with helmets seen on film. These were skinny '70s British dudes wearing buckets on their heads.

Exactly.

Sandtroopers Tunisia.jpg
stesb2.jpg
Stormtroopers behind the scenes.jpg

So the regular stormtrooper is undersized?

I think it's really just the "ears" that is slightly too wide on the sandtrooper. Everything else looks the same. By ears, I mean that white separator on the side.

Picture from a few pages before:
12584025_10153163924701557_1256199453_n.jpg

Last edited:

Nope. The earpieces are separate components that get trimmed and screwed into place on the real-life prop; as such they're variable so neither is incorrect.

I do prefer the wider look on the HT Sandie helmet, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope. The earpieces are separate components that get trimmed and screwed into place on the real-life prop; as such they're variable so neither is incorrect.

I do prefer the wider look on the HT Sandie helmet, though.
It's really hard to compare sixth scale vs movie stills as there's so rarely a full shot of a character, and obviously there are different humans under the suits, where the figure has one stock body and for the most part that's what we see in most people's photos. And then on the sixth scale end of things, so many photos have lens distortion, etc. where in those all the heads are too big.

Maybe Solo_Bones is onto what I'm seeing and it's more the bodies than anything else for me. And again, I don't think the bucket is hugely oversized or anything. Just seem a touch large compared with the body to what I have in my mind's eye. The HT Stormtrooper/Sandtrooper bodies always looked a bit vertically compressed to me, so that might be more what's going on--proportions between the upper torso/frame of the figure compared to the helmet.

I'll see what I can come up with later as a comparison.

Thanks. And how do you limit an OT collection? I can understand a limited TFA collection but I couldn't have most of the ANH characters but miss a couple out.

I mean I'm pretty much keeping it to ANH. But I wasn't going to get any Trooper variants at first. At this point, all I need is Leia and a Tarkin (if they make him) from ANH. And then I just need Jedi Luke, and I'm good with OT Star Wars.

It's really hard to compare sixth scale vs movie stills as there's so rarely a full shot of a character, and obviously there are different humans under the suits, where the figure has one stock body and for the most part that's what we see in most people's photos. And then on the sixth scale end of things, so many photos have lens distortion, etc. where in those all the heads are too big.

Maybe Solo_Bones is onto what I'm seeing and it's more the bodies than anything else for me. And again, I don't think the bucket is hugely oversized or anything. Just seem a touch large compared with the body to what I have in my mind's eye. The HT Stormtrooper/Sandtrooper bodies always looked a bit vertically compressed to me, so that might be more what's going on--proportions between the upper torso/frame of the figure compared to the helmet.

I'll see what I can come up with later as a comparison.

With so many different body shapes and helmet variants we get a lot of different perceptions of helmet size.

My opinion is its better to be a tad bigger than smaller, if you ever plan to beef up the body.

Some of those behind the scenes photos just got me looking into more and now I just ended up purchasing the "Making of Star Wars" book with a Barnes and Noble gift card I got for Xmas. :yess:

Some of those behind the scenes photos just got me looking into more and now I just ended up purchasing the "Making of Star Wars" book with a Barnes and Noble gift card I got for Xmas. :yess:

An amazing book! I've read it twice.

Got mine yesterday. The backpack is a pain in the arse to set but it's my new favorite figure.
e59cb2d8738e2da14d2d57060e80c418.jpg
006c5315ec59c0f473de5a6a2ad81e58.jpg

My Sandtrooper is on its way to me as we speak, next week it will finally arrive. Any advice in assembling it?

Finally taken the plunge and have ordered this guy too. Should get it in a week or so hopefully - getting from a local supplier rather than through SS as it worked out quite a bit cheaper. I've been collecting the Sideshow SW line from the beginning and have all the Sideshow versions and the Medicom one too, but this will be my first Hot Toys figure. I'm curious to see what all the fuss is about. :)

Back