Hot Toys ROTJ Emperor Palpatine

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was widely confirmed that the lighting at the Tokyo Con was terrible. i.e from below making figures (like Tarkin) not look as they should.

Try shining your mobile phone light under the HS of one of your figures and see what happens, and how different it looks.

No concern for Tarkin myself. Will be interested to see how the Emperor looks with normal decent lighting from above, no glass/perspex cabinet in the way and using a decent camera.

That's a weird video of Palps - he's got that weird smile, then the camera slowly pans down to his crotch.:lol

I think this was what HT used as a reference to do the sculpt.

DJc3W-6XcAIL4cO.jpg

Which reminds me of the situation with MOS General Zod, where they used the screenshot of Zod's face as he tore off his armor at the end of the movie. Sculpt captures the expression perfectly, but its such a distinct facial expression that it makes it look weird unless posed how the actor was when doing the facial expression or something similar. Ie static poses or certain dramatic poses will look awkward.

imagesW30CIVER.jpg General_Zod_Man_of_Steel.jpg

Yep, gotta wonder who decides on what facial expression to use. I guess they're damned if they do pick a boring sculpt, and damned if they don't.

However that said, it should be pretty obvious that the most evil guy on the universe shouldn't have a cheesy smile.

Yep, gotta wonder who decides on what facial expression to use. I guess they're damned if they do pick a boring sculpt, and damned if they don't.

However that said, it should be pretty obvious that the most evil guy on the universe shouldn't have a cheesy smile.

Yeah I agree there is a bit of damned if you do damned if you don't, but I would say selecting the most iconic facial expression and testing it for prototype should be all part of the process. Sometimes I thing they just randomly choose a screen shot and say "that one" and they run with it regardless of if it works well or will be able to offer posing options or not.

That was the huge problem with Zod and I feel a large reason why he did so poorly in sales. The figure it self, was excellent, the armor etc. But the sculpt could only work in a dynamic pose. Anything less than a dynamic pose looked weird like he was straining to push out a turd or something.

It's such a basic figure. I'm sure he'll have a second head sculpt like Yoda. Not that they shouldn't try to improve the smiling sculpt, I'm still going to display it with the neutral one.

Still think he looks pretty poor...

And that closed mouth head...I am almost positive that was a placeholder head....not intended for production.

I would be happy to be wrong.

Maybe both top Force users , will have 2 sculpts....

Yoda and Palps..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still think he looks pretty poor...

And that closed mouth head...I am almost positive that was a placeholder head....not intended for production.

I would be happy to be wrong.

Maybe both top Force users , will have 2 sculpts....

Yoda and Palps..

I’m not too happy with how he looks either.. the expression just feels like it’s an ‘in between’ of his various looks... like it’s not committing fully to any one look, making it look ‘off’ from all of them

I don't get why they would provide force lightning with this figure but then have him smiling! When did Palps ever electrocute someone smiling? He always bared his teeth in a really angry, evil, menacing way!

Also, I still say the skin is too flesh coloured and not grey / pale enough!

I don't get why they would provide force lightning with this figure but then have him smiling! When did Palps ever electrocute someone smiling? He always bared his teeth in a really angry, evil, menacing way!

Also, I still say the skin is too flesh coloured and not grey / pale enough!

force-lighning.jpg

main-qimg-9a392e752f81de62bc00a9b738c8ea18.jpg

What I can't work out is why they would do a smiling sculpt, and also give the force lightening (see below latest pic from catalogue). The "smile" definitely needs to be a sneer. As you say, that would fit for far more pose options. i.e With force lightening, on the throne, and make him generally look more evil.

:dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno

View attachment 384376

Exactly what I thought too....

Sorry, I just don't see it.

I do think it looks a bit like Ed Harris, though. I wonder if anyone agrees... :p

Hot Toys...you can do better!

This and the Royal Guard are the only SW figures I'm guaranteed to add to my collection...I really hope they go back to the drawing board for that head sculpt.

Back