Hot Toys ROTJ Emperor Palpatine

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Palps was one of the stand outs for TROS, but I still dig ROTJ Palps more. The make up was more convincing and sometimes less is more. Loved the lounging Palps that grossly underestimated Luke, had a blindspot with Vader and was kind of complacent because of his power. Compare that to the Palps that kind of made a show of his power to Rey and had a giant evil robot arm attached.

His red robe look was pretty cool though. Wonder if they'll make a TROS palps.

Oh no I agree 100%. RotJ Palps every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Mostly because he didn’t have a giant robot arm attached to him, like you said. But also all the other stuff you mentioned as well.

However, something about him in TRoS still looked more sinister to me.

Oh no I agree 100%. RotJ Palps every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Mostly because he didn’t have a giant robot arm attached to him, like you said. But also all the other stuff you mentioned as well.

However, something about him in TRoS still looked more sinister to me.

In ROTS/ROTJ, he looks like a super wrinkled old man, diabolical, sure, but in TROS, he looks demonic because of the story behind his initial appearance.

In ROTS/ROTJ, he looks like a super wrinkled old man, diabolical, sure, but in TROS, he looks demonic because of the story behind his initial appearance.

Yeah the TROS emperor isn?t bad. But still love the ROTJ Emperor the most. He looks like an ancient evil being...not quite human looking, almost serpent-like.

5c3dd2bbe7f30b15289cb2bd95f5727d.jpg
102ac288564d19d05e373764cf675676.jpg

I think the Revenge of the Sith version is awful. I don?t know how the effects got worse from the OT is some respects.
ca47a6802ec47b4001b59305ead3e25f.jpg

9de972bfcefd7d0e1f488f9b0a4f1eae.jpg

And this is the rise of Skywalker version, not revived:

57ca2c78e11516e1653c1ce0beb70eb7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both of those would be problematic due to size. I worry they'll do the majority of either as a cardboard background (like sitting part of the throne is sculpted but then there's a larger backer that's cardboard that "completes" the throne.)

Yet he never stands, so they have to do something. My guess is they just do the robot/crane arm up to a certain point. I'd probably rather have that than a 50/50 plastic/cardboard throne.

Well he does stand on his own eventually....but he still wears the utility type belt that was probably part of the harness that kept him in place

86EA793B-86AA-462B-B029-485653AAD300.jpg717076CC-4FEE-4034-A03A-D3AECDDC14AE.jpgED2E808E-0800-4DBB-9C82-F9BB2B2C3ADE.jpgBBB87351-5E75-4F27-A11D-18043F3F5471.jpg
490AA901-7129-466F-B07C-BC84288244FE.jpg

It’s as if they used the plaster life mask they cast from Ian’s face for this shot lol

I actually think he looks decent in this moment from RotS:

D08722B6-5F0D-452C-BC58-FBAE8A816A18.jpeg

During the battle with Yoda though, I agree he didn’t look very good.

I actually think he looks decent in this moment from RotS:

View attachment 474192

During the battle with Yoda though, I agree he didn?t look very good.
Really? I love how he looks all the way through ROTS.. He moves scarily fast and looks like a demonic specter with his red blade. Oh well, to each their own.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The makeup in ROTS is not exactly good, but the CGI zombie thing in ROS is dreadful. They didn't even bother putting the Sith makeup on him for most of the film and it didn't matter anyway because it was so dark you could barely tell who was speaking.

Really? I love how he looks all the way through ROTS.. He moves scarily fast and looks like a demonic specter with his red blade. Oh well, to each their own.

whoa whoa whoa, what i saw were lame sparring shots in closeup and a body double with mcdiarmid's face superimposed for action shots. You can blame it on me knowing how they made the shots but it was pretty obvious to me even without a behind the scenes documentary.

The one and only Emperor - Darth Sidious is in Ep.I > VI. Everything else just made up crap.

He looks pretty frightening in Revenge of the Sith. Specially when he fights Yoda. Looks like a demon. Way scarier than in Return of the Jedi. I don't get people that didn't like him in Revenge of the Sith. He was way scarier.

Really hoping HT makes that figure and also non-scarred Palpatine from when he reveals to Anakin that he's a Sith Lord & when he slaughters the Jedi and fights Windu. Love that red outfit.

He looks more evil in ROTS. You need to realize some people will bash every newer star wars property when it's compared to ot.

He looks pretty frightening in Revenge of the Sith. Specially when he fights Yoda. Looks like a demon. Way scarier than in Return of the Jedi. I don't get people that didn't like him in Revenge of the Sith. He was way scarier.

Really hoping HT makes that figure and also non-scarred Palpatine from when he reveals to Anakin that he's a Sith Lord & when he slaughters the Jedi and fights Windu. Love that red outfit.

The OT snobs. We should be familiar with those types by now.

One of my favourite Sideshow figures was the Palpatine 2 pack from ROTS, unfortunately I can't see HT doing the same.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I liked Senator Palpatine from PT, but Darth Sidious was too fat. Understandable considering the age of McDiarmid in ROTJ when he was thin compared to ROTS period. Like Bebe said above the ROTJ Emperor is like an evil ancient entity, not entirely human. For me sinister doesn't necessarily mean moving fast like a ninja. You can also understand the power of the Emperor from the simple discussion Jerjerrod had with Vader: "The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am".

[...]

Some people like subtle and understated menace. Just as some don't prefer Vader slicing and dicing his way through Rebel fleet troopers in Rogue One -- it's just a stylistic preference.

Some people like subtle and understated menace. Just as some don't prefer Vader slicing and dicing his way through Rebel fleet troopers in Rogue One -- it's just a stylistic preference.

:exactly:

Though I did like Vader in RO. :) But I would have liked the movie and Vader without that particular scene too

He looks more evil in ROTS. You need to realize some people will bash every newer star wars property when it's compared to ot.

KerotanFrog was replying to me, so if you’re referring to me as one of those “people,” then you need to read a couple of pages back:

Palps in TRoS looked evil as ever to me. Not sure if it was because his face was shrouded in darkness and you could see the yellow glow of his Sith eyes, but he looked more sinister to me in TRoS than RotJ.

However, I do agree there are people who will automatically disparage anything new that SW puts out because they blindly worship the OT, because it reminds them of their beloved childhood. Just like you have people who are overly sensitive to any legitimate criticism of newer SW films, and automatically dismiss those people as being OT worshippers.

:goodpost:

Back