Hot Toys ROTJ Emperor Palpatine

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How HT let it out with those (brown eyes) paint apps is beyond comprehension.

Now it looks like The Emperor.

BIG thanks to PetethePaint - as always!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah HT really dropped the ball on the eye paint apps...but i do think that the proto had better/more vivid eye paint than the more muted/dulled down colors of the production piece...

I had a go myself at repainting the eyes...not the best in the world but i'm happy enough with the results..and loving the fig a whole lot more.

Excuse the dotted finger nail...all part of my madness in trying to get the pupils right:)

View attachment 460464View attachment 460463View attachment 460461View attachment 460462

Some really nice repaints guys.

I repainted mine a while back too. Its not the best, his right eye is a bit wonky. I will fix it when I get some time.

As Talibane mentioned though, it's hard to notice at normal viewing distance and lit from above.

View attachment 460559

View attachment 460560

View attachment 460563

View attachment 460564

Very nice! :clap

That simple repaint really takes the figure to the next level! So cool! Thank you for sharing and great pics!

Can those who have repainted theirs themselves let me know what paint and color you used for the eyes? Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can’t go wrong with tamiya Gloss Yellow or the testors brand, applying acrylic is what’s similar to what a lot of asian manufacturers use on their paint for toys, while enamel is more thick.

You can mix orange with yellow for more of a golden look if need be.

For the pupils you can use Bandai Gundam fine detailing pens like gloss brown than trying to wing it with a brush

I want to get a repaint of the eyes but am a little apprehensive about throwing more $$ at the figure, possible I’ll still be a bit underwhelmed by the figure. I do think he’ll display well with Maul though and matching Sith eyes would look great.

Can those who have repainted theirs themselves let me know what paint and color you used for the eyes? Thank you.

I used Games Workshop colors, with a 5/0 brush for the irises. For the pupils, I used the end of a toothpick dipped in black paint (due to its circular size), which I then applied bit by bit until I had the pupil size I wanted. That was some nerve wrecking work. :lol

While the yellow irises look, well, yellow, it's actually a yellowish orange from what I could tell (using movie and promotional shots). The contrast with the dark red outer rims and large black pupils makes it pop and appear more yellow than it actually is. So I mixed some yellow and red to get the desired color.

Beyond the irises, there a couple of other things that are important to really match his on-screen appearance though:
  • In all of the screenshots I checked, I noticed that the irises always touch the bottom eye lid. There is never any white visible below it, even when he is looking up. So I'd recommend to expand the overall size of the irises.
  • His pupils are quite large/dilated, much larger than HT painted them. And of course, his right eye is off-center/lazy in most screenshots. I don't know whether this was intentional or if the contact simply slipped, but it helps in selling that on-screen creepiness IMO.
  • Finally, HT was quite generous in their application of the red below the eyes, and went with a rather dark and muted red. In the movie, this red area was not as large, but brighter, so I did that as well. This does require to paint over the red with a matching pale skin color, which was some trial and error for me until I got the right tone.

If you want to go all out, beyond the eyes, I would also recommend to add some more color to the cheek bones, the inside of this frown, the chin, the lips, and yellowing the teeth. This all adds more contrast and depth to his face, which was lacking in the HT IMO. Finally, I did some light drybrushing of some of the raised white parts to lighten them some more, adding even more variation. Most of this is rather subtle, but it made a world of difference to me, and changed my opinion of the sculpt from good to fantastic.

Here are some close up shots of mine if that helps, plus my original comparison shot. I didn't repaint the sclera/white part of the eyes, that's the original paint job. I wouldn't be able to replicate those tiny little veins.

IMG_8767_2_small2.jpg

IMG_8781_2_small2.jpg

IMG_8772_3_comparison.jpg

Last edited:
Depending on the lighting per scene, promo shots vs. on-screen, and which version of the movie you're using for reference (DVD, Blu-ray, Laser disc, etc.), his look changes quite a bit, so it's hard to nail the exact look from the movie BTW. So it's important to mention that it also comes down to personal preference what look you like most, e.g. paler with a flatter paint job, or more varied in color, with blues and reds popping out here and there.

I compiled this reference material for myself. You can see I used the shot where Luke tries to strike him down (bottom row, second from the right) for my reference for the red around the eyes, while HT seems to have rather used the top left one. Their eyes don't match any shots though, that's a pretty clear cut case. ;)

Palpatine_collage32.jpg

Awesome job and great notes on the process, Agonistes86.
A bit of topic but do those that collect Marvel HT need to repaint their Starks, Capt. Am, etc. ? Or is this just a SW thing. Just curious.

His irises look pretty yellow in all of those reference pics from the movie. I guess I got lucky because my Palps came stock with yellowish eyes. Not brown, but not nearly as cool as the modded look. Maybe I’ll go nuts and have them painted anyway.

Same with mine. The eyes aren’t as bright of yellow as the repaints, but they’re certainly not brown.

In those reference photos, his eyes are clearly yellow in all of them, but some are brighter than others.

Same with mine. The eyes aren’t as bright of yellow as the repaints, but they’re certainly not brown.

In those reference photos, his eyes are clearly yellow in all of them, but some are brighter than others.

That's what I originally thought as well, but if you look at the actual color of the brightest yellow pixels you can find in the eyes (zooming into those shots on a pixel level), you won't find anything brighter than an orange-ish yellow.
It's really an optical illusion in how bright it appears.

And yes, that's what I actually did when painting the eyes originally in order to determine the right color mix.:lol

That's what I originally thought as well, but if you look at the actual color of the brightest yellow pixels you can find in the eyes (zooming into those shots on a pixel level), you won't find anything brighter than an orange-ish yellow.
It's really an optical illusion in how bright it appears.

And yes, that's what I actually did when painting the eyes originally in order to determine the right color mix.:lol

looks amazing. You should take orders for repaints. ;)

For those interested in lowering the chair...if you drill up through the circular slot at the base of the seat...it can be lowered by a 1/4 inch.

Using a flat headed screwdriver i first prized opened the bottom part of the chair where the battery compartment is. I did this as i didn't want to run the risk of damaging the wires inside...as you can see there's lots of them!

I guess an easier way would be to just cut back the base pole plug thingy...

Anyways i'm pretty happy with the results and now old Palps can sit with his wee feet touching the floor and no need for leg extenders:)

DSC_1376.JPGDSC_1706.jpgDSC_1744.JPGDSC_1754.JPG

Back