Hot Toys Rogue One Vader MMS388

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, even though the belt boxes look nicely weathered, that silver circle on the belt looks black. Scratch that off the list.

Also, not liking the neatly ironed and crisp tunic folds. That's off the want-list now too.

The head/helmet... big brown eyes is not how I remember ANH Vader except on bad CRT TV monitors growing up They were not brown in the theater -- they were black with a very occasional amber moment. Pass again.

The gloves? Look great, except the fingers. Maybe I'm better off just putting a pair of real black gloves over my ANH ones after all? The availability of these and the price will determine my action.

Really need to see good comparison photos of the 2 side by side to determine if it's worth me buying another Vader.. Hopefully some one does a real good comparison video review or photo shoot..

Looks good to me.
Yeah, the nitpicks going around sound like people justifying the ANH purchase. Both versions look great in my opinion. This Vader's eyes do appear more accurate to ANH, which is nice. They've always been dark with a hint of amber/red...time, remasters and Blu-rays won't change the fact. The hands are a nice improvement, as well. All in all, I would think owners of both have a great piece on there hands, not to mention all the great customs created on the ANH version.

There is no need to justify ANH version purchase. That version is very good except gloves. RO Vader looks meh at the best, not much improved there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the ANH version. Not looking to upgrade and get rid of him, but perhaps have both or just purchase some loose parts. I don't get rid of my Vader's. I still have the SS Deluxe and original SS ANH. I also have the baby Medicom, and many of the awful Hasbro versions.... I'm a Vader junkie! Still even considering the re-release SS RotJ version too... I need help. :(

I am very happy with my ANH purchase, I do however hope a side by side review is posted sooner or later. I would likely order this one as well if it's "different" enough in poses and possibility for display. I would also like a Hot Toys rendition of Vader from the assault on the Jedi Temple, ESB, and Jedi. Even a Rebels version. I just need to know there is justification besides a different box or so for shelling out 2-300$ each time personally. The interrogation droid was a nice touch IMO , and I would love a diorama of Vaders Meditation Chamber to go with a ESB or Jedi model with head swaps like the Sideshow Deluxe.

There's no need to justify the ANH Vader for anyone. Both figures look great, and both have their pros and cons. That being the case, for those who don't have ANH version, this one is a perfectly good alternative if you don't want to spend the extra money for the needless electronics. For those who already have ANH version, I don't consider this one an upgrade from an actual figure standpoint as far as the aesthetics of it.

For me personally, the only thing I think I like better on the R1 Vader is the weathered belt and belt boxes. I would say the gloves, but they look a little wonky to me. The mixture of sculpted hands and leather guantlets on the ANH Vader look odd also, but I actually think I kind of like the gloves being (at least the majority of it) leather as opposed to plastic. Plus with the way I have my ANH Vader posed, you don't see the gloves anyway. I'm also not a fan of the pleated tunic on the R1 version, even though that must be how he looks in the film. I prefer the smooth one.

This Vader's eyes do appear more accurate to ANH, which is nice. They've always been dark with a hint of amber/red...time, remasters and Blu-rays won't change the fact.

I don't know, his eyes look pretty black except for the scene with Tarkin ('Are they away') and when he turns in his TIE.

Amber they are indeed (for the actual prop) but it hardly shows and was not meant to. 'Red eyes' came from comics, bad VHS transfers and fanboys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYZdQRUU5IA

I don't know, his eyes look pretty black except for the scene with Tarkin ('Are they away') and when he turns in his TIE.

Amber they are indeed (for the actual prop) but it hardly shows and was not meant to. 'Red eyes' came from comics, bad VHS transfers and fanboys.

My sentiments as well. The "amber eyes" of Vader in the films always seemed like a bit of an embellishment to me. They've always struck me as looking more black than amber.

I can see a hint of red in quite a few scenes in that video myself. Although I agree it's very subtle and probably shouldn't be emphasized as much as people do.

I definitely prefer the reddish lenses over the yellowish lenses he had in ROTJ.

I just can't see the appeal of this version. The ANH version looks great precisely because it is beat up, the glossy ESB version looks great because it suits Vader at the height of his powers. This is just a weird hybrid.

It's definitely got some parts that may work better for some -- thus HT is looking at this as a 'completion pack' version for those with ANH Vader. Need better gloves, tunic, shin armor, brown eyes? Get this one.

It preys on the collector's OCD... which is what drives this hobby in the first place.

I still think the shape of the chest and shoulder armor is a major improvement over any sixth scale version that has come before, even if it's still a bit off. If I don't buy this figure, I want to pick up the armor and gloves, at least.

Also, that glossy helmet, despite being inaccurate to all the OT, is gorgeous to me.
aade6ac7a66351989c28c4ee54a7b85f.jpg

Last edited:
Back