Hot Toys Retailer Recommendations/ Experiences/ Horror Stories

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have heard similar criticism of FP (UK) from several sources, but newbie collectors in the UK should note Forbidden Planet (UK) are not the same company as Forbidden Planet (.com) a different UK supplier, with bricks and mortar shops around GB, as well as an online store.. I have had excellent service from that Forbidden Planet.

I second that, also they are now the only UK store that accept pre-orders without a deposit which for me is good practice in this day an age of companies going under. I don't want the chance of losing my hard earned cash with no chance of recovery

Does SS not ship to Canada? I know that some exclusives might not make it there (BD MKVII) but aren't all products available to ship to Canada on a regular basis? Excuse my ignorance here, but is going to a local store actually cheaper/better than just getting it from SS directly?
I know there's instances where a brick and mortar store makes a lot of sense, I.e the 1989 batmobile..... I WISH I could've had the opportunity to open one before taking that MONSTER home.. Just to see that it was filled with scratches and freaking glue residue (really??!) but for most of my needs, SS just makes sense to me. There's a local comic ship here in utah that just received its SS license, and as far as I can tell, prices are exactly the same as SS, no discount given at all, and if have to pay tax on top of it.. So, yeah, I could be supporting a local fellow, but it really doesn't do anything FOR ME.
It is it the NRD that keeps people from getting stuff from SS?

Does SS not ship to Canada? I know that some exclusives might not make it there (BD MKVII) but aren't all products available to ship to Canada on a regular basis? Excuse my ignorance here, but is going to a local store actually cheaper/better than just getting it from SS directly?

Personally, I'd rather support a local business and buy from a shop around me (If HT were sold anywhere around me, that is...).

SS will happily ship to Canada, sometimes the shipping can get a little high, though. Luckily with the last few items I've pre-ordered there's a flat $25 shipping, which is pretty good for getting parcels out to me in Nova Scotia.

The NRD is never an issue for me.

I've had good experiences with Black Ops Toys. They had a NIB Mark III that they sold me for a very reasonable price.

Also Action Toys and Collectables. Found one of the last MISB stateside Mark IV with Gantry there for not too much of a markup.

Also did not care for the response I got from Action Figure Express once. They could not guarantee I would get it double boxed even if I asked for it/paid extra... Geezzz... But at least they had prompt replies.

I know there's instances where a brick and mortar store makes a lot of sense, I.e the 1989 batmobile..... I WISH I could've had the opportunity to open one before taking that MONSTER home.. Just to see that it was filled with scratches and freaking glue residue (really??!) but for most of my needs, SS just makes sense to me. There's a local comic ship here in utah that just received its SS license, and as far as I can tell, prices are exactly the same as SS, no discount given at all, and if have to pay tax on top of it.. So, yeah, I could be supporting a local fellow, but it really doesn't do anything FOR ME.
It is it the NRD that keeps people from getting stuff from SS?

They will ship almost anything to Canada. the only thing I have come across is the Mark VII BD but other then that its pretty easy. the 89 batmobile was only $42 shipped to me and $24 in taxes.:yess:

In MA and the only brick and mortar store near me that carries hot toys is Harrison's comics. They are ridiculous when it comes to pricing. There will be items that aren't even sold out online and they are asking $100 dollars over retail. The staff is unhelpful and the owner is unrealistic. Now even though they do not carry hot toys the New England comic stores ( I believe there are 8) are awesome. You can order hot toys through them for the same price as sideshow except for the exclusives. You can still order them but they are a little more expensive. Staff is knowledgable and friendly.

Where in MA are you?
I heard good things about Harrison's Comics.
Their website doesn't show Hot Toys though.
I use to go to the New England Comics in Quincy,never saw Hot Toys there,a few Sideshow items,but that was a long time ago.
You might want to try Newbury Comics.
The stores in Dedham and North Attleboro use to have a big selection of Hot Toys and Sideshow. Their stores in Boston carry Hot Toys too.

UK

The Good The Bad & The Robots - Bought most of my figures through Lee great guy

Collectibles Kitbash - Bought parts from Darren great guy and also has full figures

Onesixthbruce - never used them but heard great things

Collectibles Direct - Same as above

Mothers Basement - Never used but have a figure on pre-order with them now, so far so good

Forbidden Planet (co.uk) - Don't use them unless you have no other choice. Used these when i first started collecting and they are totally useless

Forbidden Planet.com - never used them

Incidentally forbidden planet.co.uk is the store with most retail stores across the UK not forbidden planet.com, although there are retails stores for the latter too

I'm in the us, and I have bought from onesixthbruce before.
They are amazing, imagine BBTS type of customer service, but ran by a WAY smaller staff. Highly recommended for the bros residing in the UK.

I wouldn't use either because there's better sellers within the UK

Help the dudes who post on here and give the best CS you could wan't and are such great guys!!

Where in MA are you?
I heard good things about Harrison's Comics.
Their website doesn't show Hot Toys though.
I use to go to the New England Comics in Quincy,never saw Hot Toys there,a few Sideshow items,but that was a long time ago.
You might want to try Newbury Comics.
The stores in Dedham and North Attleboro use to have a big selection of Hot Toys and Sideshow. Their stores in Boston carry Hot Toys too.

I will never buy anything from Harrison's. For example they had a hot toys rescue captain America which is still availible on sideshow and they wanted $350 for it. I know you can ask for whatever you want but that was crazy. Newbury comics no longer carries hot toys at all. The Dedham and north Attleboro stores used to have some but alas no more. If you want a Justin bieber standee tho they def have that.

I see a lot of the usual UK sellers listed, but I never see anyone recommending https://www.discontoys.com/, a good place to pick up older Hot Toys you might have passed on, run by a guy named Dave Sykes. So far I nabbed my MMS 136, MMS 145, MMS 149, and today I received my DX 10 from them.

Can be pricey, but if you need them new in box like I do he's as trust worthy as any of the other guys.

Canadian here as well. I'm lucky in that I have a brick and mortar store I can actually go to; Urban Samurai Hobbies. They are great when it comes to HT, but do not have as much variety for other brands, although they are picking up more and more stuff. Good selection of loose items as well. Prices are great too. Also, they get stuff about a month after US gets it, which is nice, because I can then see how the first line of owners feel about their figures, before I have to commit to it.

The only other store I ordered from is Toys2, which is also pretty good. Prices aren't as good great, but they stock quite a few HT. I also ordered from Sideshow once, and I don't think I will do it again (not Sideshow's fault). Customs hurts on HTs...had to pay $80 on top of one purchase from Sideshow.

I see a lot of the usual UK sellers listed, but I never see anyone recommending https://www.discontoys.com/, a good place to pick up older Hot Toys you might have passed on, run by a guy named Dave Sykes. So far I nabbed my MMS 136, MMS 145, MMS 149, and today I received my DX 10 from them.

Can be pricey, but if you need them new in box like I do he's as trust worthy as any of the other guys.

Luse, damn good call. I didn't think of them before despite having used them. Dave's a lovely guy, I called up to ask some questions about something a few weeks ago and he was very helpful and personable. Fantastic customer services.

UK

The Good The Bad & The Robots - Bought most of my figures through Lee great guy

Collectibles Kitbash - Bought parts from Darren great guy and also has full figures

Onesixthbruce - never used them but heard great things

Collectibles Direct - Same as above

Mothers Basement - Never used but have a figure on pre-order with them now, so far so good

Forbidden Planet (co.uk) - Don't use them unless you have no other cho ice. Used these when i first started collecting and they are totally useles s

Forbidden Planet.com - never used them

Incidentally forbidden planet.co.uk is the store with most retail stores across the UK not forbidden planet.com, although there are retails stores for the latter too

I wouldn't use either because there's better sellers within the UK

Help the dudes who post on here and give the best CS you could wan't and are such great guys!!

Have to agree lee from the good the bad the robots 1st class service.
Havn’t used the others to the best of my knowledge.
Bought most of my hot toys 2nd hand from ebay and havn’t had any problems in 4 years.
Play.com in the uk is very good aswell bought my 1/4 scale preds from there and good service dunno about hot toys with them. They seem slow getting new figures.

Last edited:

Mate those prices are what official UK Sideshow/Hot Toys sellers have to sell for most the time we are paying more trade price than you can buy these from China with shipping. The only way to sell than cheaper is to grey import them. If i can guarantee pre sales then i would sell for less and order more.

I have argued and shouted at Sideshows UK distributor for years over the prices.The only way you can charge less is to sell them in advance in quantity. Im only a small shop so i can't afford to buy more than 6 at a time.

I have sold Hot Toys since Rambo was first offered and we sold him for £69.99 if i remember right.Sideshow UK have continously raised the price over the years. Now that model Zone has gone there will be a lot less actual UK shops selling these.

Back